Forums

Help › Forums

Putting: Thick White Line

Wed, Dec 13 2023 1:23 PM (73 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Wed, Oct 11 2023 7:00 AM

SamSpayed:
    Yeah, well, that's bulls---.  There is always a way to disable it.  Easiest way would be for WGT to just rollback their code to what it was before the change.  WGTNico even said in Discord that adding the thick white line in forward view "wasn't a heavy lift", meaning it didn't take them much programming effort.  They could disable it; they just don't want to.

I have to agree. 

Look what happened with the a recent version of the WGT app for Mac OS. After the update, it wouldn't run on High Sierra. A lot of people complained and "all of a sudden" the WGT download for Mac OS was a version that could run on High Sierra.

And this was after they basically said there was nothing they could do because "there was an update to the game engine that our game runs on, Unity. With their update, OSX version 10.13.6 is no longer supported and our game will not run on these older devices."

• HamdenPro
    2,417 Posts
    Wed, Oct 11 2023 11:51 AM

I deleted my original reply as, after consulting with the guys in the suits, my opinion has changed. :)

EDIT: Voices are heard. Maybe not always listened too, as we wish, but they are heard.

• Ladychipper
    22,692 Posts
    Wed, Oct 11 2023 11:57 AM

HamdenPro:

Remember those days when you wished for toys but only got socks and underwear?

Times have not changed, now it is an ugly sweater.

I had a good laugh out of this reply.  Thanks HamdenPro

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Wed, Oct 11 2023 12:03 PM

The thing is they gave no indication they were trying to rectify the situation. It's one of the moderators who posted what I quoted above. My apologies for not including the moderator's full post. In the same post, the moderator wrote:

"Unfortunately there wouldn't be a way for us to get these older OS devices to run with the new Unity update." 

That does not sound like them trying to rectify it. 😀

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Wed, Oct 11 2023 12:06 PM

HamdenPro:
    Remember those days when you wished for toys but only got socks and underwear?

Sure do. Life is a lot different now.

These days, I wish for socks! I'm being totally serious. At Christmas, I love getting socks! 

• HamdenPro
    2,417 Posts
    Wed, Oct 11 2023 12:23 PM

Robert1893:
    These days, I wish for socks! I'm being totally serious. At Christmas, I love getting socks! 

Oh, don't get me started on socks!  Had long discussion not long ago, with SamSpayed, about socks. I love socks too!

My preference are either "Farm to Feet" and "Darn Tough".  Darn Tough come with unconditional guaranty, can return them anytime (even if issues are from wear and tear).

And talk about designs...well, they look way better than the WGT sweaters which, by the way, are not washable or returnable.

• BlackBogey
    278 Posts
    Wed, Oct 11 2023 3:07 PM

SamSpayed:

Support (WGT):
    To keep putting views consistent across all views, the white aim line has been added from the other views to this view as well. Unfortunately there wouldn't currently be a way to disable this.

All of the community's outrage over this change could have easily been avoided.  WGT could have posted some screenshots, either here in the Forums or in their Discord server, of what their proposed change would look like, and said, "We're thinking of making this change.  What do you think?"  

Instead, we get yet another ham-handed change from WGT that 99% of their customers don't want.

I agree wholeheartedly Sam:

I still can't understand why they wouldn't at least roll it out with the toggle on/off option, like the Standard/Classic grid style?  Then they could've made an announcement like "Hey, we added this new very wide and very obtrusive Forward View Putting Line with the latest update to see how popular it would be.  We hope you like it as much as we do, but we did make it optional so if you try it and don't like it you can go to settings and turn it back off." 

WGT has a "X" (Twitter) account, they could've even had a poll on there to see the demand for it in the first place.  If majority support it I can learn to live with it a little easier, but as you say they just took a suggestion from one of the Golden Children and ran with it.  If they want "all putting views to be consistent" I would prefer they just removed the lines from the other views as opposed to adding this atrocity to the front view. 

They (WGT) also claim on Discord it's exactly the same size as the other views, but someone took the time to measure the width of the "front view line", and at short range it is somewhat close to the rear view.  But the farther you are from the hole the line stays the same width while the hole shrinks in pixels, so at some point the hole isn't even visible any longer.

• mega1byte
    770 Posts
    Wed, Oct 11 2023 3:21 PM

I Agree totally.

Another update that doesn't help game play at all

• DuFussMcGoo
    2,867 Posts
    Wed, Oct 11 2023 3:22 PM

BlackBogey:
    But the farther you are from the hole the line stays the same width while the hole shrinks in pixels

I wish my DING spot was as wide as this white line.

• MioKontic
    4,594 Posts
    Wed, Oct 11 2023 4:09 PM

DuFussMcGoo:

Support (WGT)

Oct 9, 2023, 7:40 PM CDT

Hi,
    Thank you for the message. To keep putting views consistent across all views, the white aim line has been added from the other views to this view as well. Unfortunately there wouldn't currently be a way to disable this. We appreciate the feedback regarding this update.

What other views?  I only ever use front and rear view; I putt using the rear view 95% of the time, and only ever use the front view from 3ft or less if there's little or no break.  And for the 13 years I've been playing I have NEVER seen a line on either of these two views.  So I ask again, what other views?  If they wanted to make all views consistent, then why not make it consistent with the views we have had since this game started, not views that have been added since mobile was brought in, i.e. NO LINE!

RSS