Forums

Help › Forums

Putting: Thick White Line

Wed, Dec 13 2023 1:23 PM (73 replies)
  • Sidwozere
    4 Posts
    Fri, Oct 6 2023 6:54 AM

Make the line optional, I hate it, it is annoying that it stays on view when you are changing the line and I am sure that the putting is more prone to bend if hit even slightly off the perfect spot.

Why WGT thought it was a good idea to have a putter that mimics a shot with an iron or a wood is beyond me. In the real world, it is very rare to hit a shot that veers off line. A putting stroke is the easiest to hit, the skill comes on getting the correct line and distance.

Another thing they should sort out is the flop shot.  Why does it automatically pick the wrong distance club for the shot and a flop shot should flop not fly past the hole on a low trajectory. I wonder if the developers play the real game. How many times do you hit the pin on a slow running chip or a putt from off the green and see it ricochet off the pin. Playing real golf, I putt and chip with the pin in and I would say that 90% of the time that the speed is slow, the ball will fall in the hole.

• RyjaTybas
    5,141 Posts
    Fri, Oct 6 2023 7:53 AM

Gepetto1958:

WGT is saying on their Discord server that 

• it was an intended change
    • the line is there on every other putting view
    • you'll get used to it

If that's the case then WGT is even more deranged than I thought.

I'll NEVER get used to it.

So I'm going into minimum play mode for a while, or perhaps longer.

• bwsq
    98 Posts
    Fri, Oct 6 2023 8:37 AM

This will be an interesting test case.

Does WGT listen to their customers?  Do they care?

Based on the feedback here, discord, facebook, the overwhelming majority of the customers who weighed in HATE the change and want the white line removed.

• Taz7466
    146 Posts
    Fri, Oct 6 2023 12:36 PM

Gepetto1958:

• the line is there on every other putting view
    • you'll get used to it

One simple question... what is the point of it? The only thing it does is create a straight line to point at the hole. It does not show an ideal line because it does not allow for slope or slant. If anything, it blocks the view of green undulations.

The only thing this does is annoy a lot of people. Creating a feature that serves absolutely no purpose except to anger your customer base is the worst possible business model.

I welcome anyone from WGT to explain how this line serves any purpose other than pointing to the location of the hole.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Fri, Oct 6 2023 7:52 PM

SamSpayed:

I don't know. There's a part of me that actually feels a bit better about it now. At least this time, the thing they messed up wasn't an unintended consequence of doing something else.

I mean, it demonstrates some level of competence, right? 😉

• AlaskanDame
    18,978 Posts
    Fri, Oct 6 2023 11:13 PM

I always gave myself a line - it helped with troughs and other sorts of double/triple breaks especially, seeing how many dots traversed the line from each side and how quickly.  But it wasn’t as thick and it was optional, going away when I released it.

It is definitely too thick to see the wrigglers now, and should be optional for those who clearly don’t like it.  A hot key, maybe?

AKD

• ScottHope
    10,096 Posts
    Sat, Oct 7 2023 7:50 AM

A comparison...

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sat, Oct 7 2023 8:05 AM

And that illustrates another problem with this change.

Not only is the white line thicker but the putts are longer and have more downhill slope now! 😉

• ScottHope
    10,096 Posts
    Sat, Oct 7 2023 8:19 AM

Subsidence Rob, lol.  ; )

• craigswan
    30,991 Posts
    Sat, Oct 7 2023 8:30 AM

White lines are used to indicate out-of-bounds..

RSS