Forums

Help › Forums

UEL Ryder Cup @ Pinehurst: Sep20-Oct13

Fri, Oct 17 2014 4:57 PM (366 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Aug 25 2014 12:31 PM

Welcome!

This is the official thread for the first merit-based UEL Ryder Cup, to be held from Sep 20-Oct 13 @ Pinehurst #2.

This event is a follow-up to the inaugural UEL Ryder Cup (with self-selected players) held earlier this year, and won handsomely by ROW.

As detailed in the Uneven Lies Ryder Cup @ Pinehurst: Qualification Thread players have earned their places on the US and ROW teams for this event through participation in the UEL Spring 2014 Tour.

Automatic qualifiers for each team are as follows:

Team ROW:

fmagnets
    Corwyn
    KonradOse
    Wontonamo
    javiertorg
    niqueclyde
    TallAcePaul
    johehejo
    FairwayRuepel68
    MainzMan

Team USA:

bhoese
    mmyers0
    KyRock75
    BigKnight
    ColumbusStorm (US team captain)
    Wesdogg75
    fredsf
    gishdrums
    poolmaniac6

The deadline for Captain's picks (2 for the ROW team, 3 for the USA team to include Iconian) will be Monday Sep 8th.That will make 12 players per team, and we will need alternates as well.

The ROW team captain has yet to be determined. (Note that while I'm trying to stay more in the organizer role, I am willing to co-captain, as I did last time.) I'd like to invite ROW players to nominate their choice for a captain, either in this thread, or if preferred in private via PM to myself. Our very capable captain last time was SteveReilly, who fell just short of automatic qualification, but would be honored to play again, either as alternate or captain's pick (and indeed, I've already enquired as to his willingness to captain again, as he did such a fine job last time. I'll let you all wrestle with the philosophical question of whether a captain's pick could be captain!).

I will send out PMs to all the named players above, and to a number of alternates on each team based on the qualification standings, and ask that all players please fill out the Time Availability Form in the next 2 weeks, by Mon Sep 8th. See post below for full details. I would also appreciate a post here in this thread re-confirming your availability and indicating when you've filled out the form. Thanks!

In checking to see if all the qualified players are still active, I have noticed no sign of life from TallAcePaul. Does anyone know if Paul is still playing?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Here are important links:

Time Availability Sheet (see process in next post below) [sign-up form]

Specific Matches for 1st Week Best-Ball Series (spreadsheet link forum post link with explanation and expectations)

Specific Matches for 2nd Week Foursomes Series (spreadsheet link forum post link with explanation and expectations)

Specific Matches for 3rd Week Singles Series (spreadsheet link forum post link with explanation and expectations)

Screenshot posting requirements explained here (scorecard, and stats if you can, please!)

Guidelines in the event of interrupted matches, disconnects, no-shows, etc.

Results Sheet

Chatzy Room dedicated to the UEL Ryder Cup 

Scheduling & Team Co-Captains

ROW :: Corwyn & SteveReilly

USA :: ColumbusStorm

Captains will help to select team pairings for the four-player series' and provide the blind 'secret envelope' line-up lists for their teams.

That said, scheduling for this tourney is highly dependent on availability rather than strategy or chance! We are running it based on players' declared playing times and matching people up accordingly.

FORMAT & ROUND CONDITIONS:

Note that we since we now have the ability to play Matchplay and Alt Shot in UEL, we'll be able to do real best-ball Fourball, and Foursomes (Alt Shot), and drop the Worst-Ball compromise we had in the format last time. Foursomes and Singles can be set up in the game lobby as Alt Shot and Scored MP, while the Fourball matches will need to be set up in practice mode. Players will keep track of the Fourball Matchplay score as they go via the chat.

Please note, Gimme's are NOT allowed. You must put the ball in the hole!  If anyone does take a Gimme, it'll count as a 10 on your card, so... Don't take a Gimme!

The ROW team (as reigning UEL Ryder Cup champions) have the honor, and so should set up the matches and be the first pair to tee off.

Please designate one player per match (per team as backup) to capture and share scorecard screenshots in the forum thread. Note that there can be an A/S result, which will mean 1/2 point to each team.

----------------------

Week 1 (from Sat 9/20 to Mon 9/29) :: FourBall (Best Ball) series with a set of six matches to be played over 9 holes (the front 9 at Pinehurst #2)  :: Match Conditions:

Pinehurst #2 :: 4-Player Strokeplay :: Practice Mode :: Front 9 :: default Pins :: Blue (Hard) tees :: Tournament Green speed :: High wind :: Uneven Lies :: 90 second timer

Please note: Matches should end at the 9th, if they haven't ended earlier. You should not play Extra Holes. If match is tied after the 9th hole, then the result is A/S, and each team wins 1/2 pt.

The line-up for the 1st week 4-Player Fourball matches, to be completed by Mon 29th Sep is as follows: see Chart here

ROW Team                  vs                    USA

A ::      johehejo & FairwayRuepel68   vs     bhoese & Devonnnnn

B ::      stevereilly & MainzMan Corwyn            vs     mmyers0 & ColumbusStorm

C ::      fmagnets & jsweetcr                 vs     Bigknight & CerinoDevoti

D ::     javiertorg & Bonalyau                vs     JJ656 & GolferDadRB

E ::      Dazza501 & cricketrules           vs     KyRock75 & iconian

F ::      KonradOse & Corwyn MainzMan          vs     Wesdogg75 & fredsf

Suggested dates/times for Matches:

A :: The only overlap for the 4 of you is the weekend, between 6-10pm UTC (11am-3pm WGT time)

B :: The only overlap for the 4 of you is on one particular day at the weekend, on Saturday 9/20, between 5-10pm UTC (10am-3pm WGT time)

B :: The proposed time for the new group of the 4 of you is Saturday 9/20, starting at 4pm 5pm UTC (9am 10am WGT time) [local times: 5pm 6pm for Steve, 11am noon for mmyers0, noon 1pm for Russ]

C :: Please pay attention to the notes for your participants: hopefully you can plan on playing weekday Thursday (BK's best day) which has 3 hr overlap with a BK & jsweets possible block, between 3-6pm UTC (8-11am WGT time)

D :: Your group has lots of possible overlap time weekday and weekend if needed: best window is weekdays 11pm-2am UTC (4-7pm WGT time)

E :: The only overlap for the 4 of you is the weekend, and probably only Sundays [given Jack's schedule], between 7-11pm UTC (noon-4pm WGT time)

F :: This is the match with the worst overlap, with me being the snafu: there's nothing that can work weekday, and I have almost no chance to play at the weekend. It's just possible I could be home with no family around Saturday morning between 4-6pm UTC (9-11am WGT time), so I've sent out PMs to try and set that up. If we can't make it work, I'll drop out for wk1 and ask for an alternate to fill in, and the 4 players could try again the next day or the next weekend. Note that we do have 2 weekends available for play each week as the series overlap.

F :: The proposed time for the new group of the 4 of you is now on Sunday 9/21 between 5-8pm UTC (10am-1pm WGT time) (local times: 19:00-22:00 for Konrad and Mainz, 10am-1pm for Fred, noon-3pm for Wes) 

UPDATE: MainzMan has proposed Sunday 9/21 at 6pm UTC (8pm local for him and Konrad; 11am for Fred, 1pm for Wes)

----------------------

Week 2  (from Sat 9/27 to Mon 10/6):: will be Foursomes (Alt Shot) with a set of six matches to be played over 9 holes (the back 9 this time at Pinehurst #2) with the following conditions:

Pinehurst #2 :: 4-Player Alt Shot :: Ranked Mode :: Back 9 :: Uneven Lies :: 90 second timer :: all other conditions as set by the game lobby

Please note: Matches should end at the 18th, if they haven't ended earlier. You should not play Extra Holes. If match is tied after the 18th hole, then the result is A/S, and each team wins 1/2 pt.

The line-up for the 2nd week 4-Player Foursomes (Alt Shot) matches, to be completed by Mon 6th Oct is as follows: see Chart here

ROW Team                        vs                    USA

A ::      stevereilly & Bonalyau               vs    Devonnnnn & ColumbusStorm

B ::     Corwyn & cricketrules                 vs    BigKnight & CerinoDevoti

C ::     fmagnets & jsweetcr                   vs    mmyers0 & GolferDadRB

D ::     Javiertorg & Dazza501               vs    bhoese & JJ656

E ::     johehejo & FairwayRuepel68      vs   Wesdogg75 & fredsf  

F ::     KonradOse & MainzMan             vs   KyRock75 & iconian

A word on the process here... I followed the set-out procedure for setting up matches (see bottom of page 7 of the thread), starting with 1-1, 2-2 etc of the captains' secret envelopes. But that produced 4 matches that couldn't be played (no overlap amongst all 4 players)... and it was a similar story through the next 6 attempts. I then set up the first two US pairings against the only two ROW pairings that could match them, and tried the remaining four in the same order as they were in the 'secret envelope' -- that didn't work either, and nor did another 4 combinations. I finally gave up on that approach when the only date that worked for mm in a 12 day period didn't work for one other key opponent. Finally, I tried setting mm's match up against the only remaining ROW team that could play him weekday, and then going back to the secret envelope list order for the remaining 3 sets of pairs. This worked!

Suggested dates/times for Matches:

A :: The only overlap for the 4 of you is weekday, between noon-2pm UTC (5am-7am WGT time). It turned out that US alternate Moose's submitted times were wrong, and so Russ is stepping back into the team and the group is playing early (prior to Russ's trip next week). This match will take place tomorrow, Thursday 9/25 at noon UTC (5am WGT time). Edit: No, this doesn't work for Jean... so ...

Let's try for Monday, 9/29. (And if that doesn't work, we'll have to go with Monday, 10/6.)

Steve (stevereilly): your 1pm local time.

Jean (Bonalyau): your 8pm local time.

Devon (Devonnnnn): your 9:30am local time. 

Russ (ColumbusStorm): your 8am local time.

---------------------------

B :: This match is already scheduled for Wednesday 10/1, 4:30pm UTC (9:30am WGT time).

Corwyn: your 9:30am local time.

Jack (cricketrules): your 5:30pm local time.

BK (BigKnight) & Cerino (CerinoDevoti): your 12:30pm local time. 

-------------------

C :: Your group only has overlap weekdays from 1:30am-3am UTC (6:30-8pm WGT time), and mm only has Thursday 10/2 and Friday 10/3 available. Hopefully, you can make either of those work for you. If needed, please look at Mon 10/6 as an additional fallback.

Edit: No, I missed a note from Mags from his form, and he's on a trip 10/3, and also Thursday's are not so good for Jon... ... so we're trying to make this match happen this coming Friday 9/26 instead (at the same times).

Mags (fmagnets): your 10:30pm local time.

Jon (jsweetcr): your 7:30pm local time.

mmyers0 & Ross (GolferDadRB): your 8:30pm local time. 

-------------------

D :: Your group only has overlap at the weekend 9-11pm UTC (2-4pm WGT time), so please aim for this time on Saturday 9/27, or Sunday 9/28.

Javier (javiertorg): your 4pm local time.

Darren (Dazza501): your 10pm local time.

Ben (bhoese) & JJ (JJ656): your 4pm local time.

-------------------

E :: Your group also only has overlap at the weekend 2-10pm UTC (7am-3pm WGT time). However, this weekend Wes is away at a wedding until his mid-afternoon Sunday 9/28. You should try to play as early as is possible for him, e.g. 8:30 or 9pm UTC (1:30-2pm WGT time), so that it doesn't get too late for the "Teutonic Two" -- Wes will text Fred on his drive back to let him know what time will work. If it turns out to be too late, this match should play the following weekend, Saturday 10/4 or Sunday 10/5.

Jorg (johehejo) & Mark (FairwayRuepel68): your 10:30 or 11pm local time, Sunday 9/28.

Wes (Wesdogg75): your 3:30 or 4pm local time, Sunday 9/28, depending on how soon you're back.

Fred (fredsf): your 1:30 or 2pm local time, Sunday 9/28.

-------------------

F :: Your group also only has overlap at the weekend 7-10pm UTC (noon-3pm WGT time), and may have to play Sunday if Rock has Saturday work (note: Icon says he can play even though he's on a well-deserved vacation!). Please aim for 7pm UTC (noon WGT time) on Saturday 9/27, or Sunday 9/28. And please try for this weekend if at all possible, as Mainz can't play the following Saturday for sure.

Konrad (KonradOse) & Mainz (MainzMan): your 9pm local time.

Rock (KyRock75) & Icon (iconian): your 3pm local time.

It will be the USA team who now have the honor for the second series of matches, as they are leading the competition. (I believe that's how it's done in the real Ryder Cup?; I'll be watching closely this weekend to see if that's true.)

And, the procedure for figuring out who tees off first within each team is explained in the FAQ (my emphasis below):

How are the teams made?

The creator of the game invites 3 other people to play, then chooses a partner from one of those players to form Team Green. The remaining 2 players form Team Gold, and the representative for Team Gold gets to choose who will tee off first for their team. The creator of the game will always tee off first for Team Green.

What are the rules for Alternate Shot?

Whoever tees off first for the team will tee off on all of the odd numbered holes (1,3,5 etc.). Their partner will tee off on the even numbered holes (2,4,6 etc,). 

In our case this will be holes 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 for the first player on each team, and 11, 13, 15, 17 for their partner.

Here is the Chart in picture form: right-click to open in new tab, (note: it's easier to read in the spreadsheet itself; also the spreadsheet will be constantly updated; it's dynamic, while this pic below is not!)

link to large pic

----------------------

Week 3  (from Sat 10/4 Wed 10/1 to Mon 10/13) will be 12 singles matches, played over all 18 holes at Pinehurst #2 with the following conditions:

Pinehurst #2 :: 2-player Matchplay :: Scored :: Full 18 holes :: Uneven Lies :: 90 second timer :: all other conditions as set by the game lobby

Please note: Matches should end at the 18th, if they haven't ended earlier. You should not play Extra Holes. If match is tied after 18, then the result is A/S, and each team wins 1/2 pt.

The line-up for the 3rd week Singles Matches, to be completed by Mon 13th Oct, is as follows: see Chart here

ROW Team                 vs          USA

A ::        KonradOse                   vs          mmyers0

B ::        MainzMan                    vs          GolferDadRB 

C ::        jsweetcr                       vs          BigKnight

D ::        Corwyn                        vs          CerinoDevoti

E ::        FairwayRuepel68         vs          Devonnnnn

F ::        Bonalyau                      vs          ColumbusStorm

G ::       stevereilly                     vs          bhoese

H ::        javiertorg                     vs          JJ656

I ::         Dazza501                    vs          Wesdogg75

J ::         fmagnets                     vs          fredsf

K ::       cricketrules                   vs          KyRock75

L ::        johehejo                       vs          iconian

A word on the process here... As as I do every time, I followed the set-out procedure for setting up matches (see bottom of page 7 of the thread), starting with 1-1, 2-2 etc of the captains' secret envelopes. Thankfully, every match has viable overlap, so the first iteration is the one we use!

Suggested dates/times for Matches: will follow in a subsequent post if needed...

Here is the Chart in picture form: right-click to open in new tab, (note: it's easier to read in the spreadsheet itself; also the spreadsheet will be constantly updated; it's dynamic, while this pic below is not!)

link to large pic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What to do next?

Send Friend Requests to your opponent from the other team. Either use this forum thread to confirm your matches via public replies (please quote this post and any relevant replies to make it easier to track), or do it all via PMs. [Always post here in the thread so we know you are scheduled.]

This tourney will not work if you rely on just 'catching your opponent green' -- you must schedule a specific time and date, and be there at that time!

The USA team, as competition leaders, still have the honor, and so should set up the Singles matches and be the first to tee off. 

Please each capture and share scorecard screenshots in the forum thread (winner should post if they are able; loser should capture card and save just in case it's needed). Note that there can be an A/S result, which will mean 1/2 point to each team.

Any questions, please ask here!

Thanks, and good luck to everyone, Corwyn

Now that we are down to 2-player games, it will be possible to have a 3rd player join and livestream (and hopefully, record/archive the stream) some matches.

If you are willing to have your match streamed, and have the time to have a 3rd player join you, please post here in the thread...

... and, if we have any willing 'streamers' please come forward!
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Aug 25 2014 12:31 PM

TIME AVAILABILITY FORM is now available.

Participating players, please fill out your availability via the form at this link.

Please fill out this form to let us know your Time Zone and your LOCAL time availability, along with preferred days to play, and I'll figure out an availability grid to help make viable pairings for the tourney.

Captains and myself will use this information to pair you with and against players who really can play at those times, so that we can have a tourney that runs smoothly, without suffering endless delays in trying to connect people. We are dealing with 4-player games for the first 2 series of Fourball and Foursomes, so getting the Availability Data right at the start is crucial to the tourney working successfully. 

Please provide times you can definitely play (you'll get a few days notice for each precisely scheduled game) for the weeks Sep 20-29, Sep 29-Oct 6, and Oct 6-13

My hope is that we can get through each series in one week! Matches will get firmly scheduled (there will be no reliance on "seeing someone green"!), and we will expect players to keep to commitments (obviously allowing for real-life interference if that happens). Is this ambitious, oh yes!!! Is it doable, most definitely YES... with your help!!!

Why is it so complicated?

The idea behind filling out the detailed entry form with all the hourly radio buttons to click is that we get an accurate picture of when everyone can play, and then we are paired together with teammates, and against opponents, whose times really do overlap. Yes, it feels like a lot of work to get through the form initially, but trust me, it speeds everything up in the long run, and gives us the best chance of arranging 4-player matches that can actually work.

Once everyone's data is in, we'll be looking for 2-3 hour blocks where people overlap. I'm anticipating matches should last no more than 1.5-2hrs+ for 4 players with 90 second timer for a 9-hole match, and something similar for the singles, 2 players over 18 holes.

Here's an example of how it will work once I've organized your responses: right-click to enlarge to enlarge this sample pic

The time boxes you clicked on in the entry form will be conditionally formatted to show in Green for your YES's, and in Yellow for Possible times you can play. (Red is NO, not available). Based on the time zone you gave, everyone's grid has been adjusted to UTC time, which are the times in the column headings... However, in the Green boxes, I've retained a note of the time, in your local time, to make it easier for you to tell when it actually is!

So, in this example, deedles and I have an availability overlap weekdays from 4-7pm UTC (deedles' 12-3pm on the East Coast of the U.S., and my 9am-noon in California).

-----------------------

If you've been through this exercise for one of our UEL tournaments before, you'll know that it really works... and I can save you clicking through those radio buttons again. Just check what you submitted last time at one of the following links, and put a note in the Availability Form 'exceptions' field to ask that I use your info from that specific tourney.

You can also post to the same effect in the forum thread. And feel free to let me know of minor amendments in that way too, e.g. "Same times as Tough-It-Out III, but now can't play Saturdays".

Prior Availability Charts:

1st UEL Ryder Cup (Merion)  |  Tough-It-Out III  |  Shiner's UEL Tourney @ Merion | Tough-It-Out II 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please check these first-page posts for updates once the Availability Chart is ready. Thanks!

P.S. I want to call out a special thanks to Rac (Racoondad) for his invaluable help in modifying this spreadsheet for this event, and making it much less time-consuming than it used to be!

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Aug 25 2014 12:32 PM

<reserved>

• stevereilly
    5,910 Posts
    Tue, Aug 26 2014 4:46 AM

Hi Corwyn,   I've filled out the time availability form (should I be a captains pick).   Unfortunately,   I don't do a 9-5 job,  my shifts vary considerably and depending on the day I may be available or unavailable at any time really.

For the 1st week,  I can be available anytime 23rd to 25th.

• JJ656
    1,858 Posts
    Tue, Aug 26 2014 2:27 PM

Hey Corwyn, ColumbusStorm has contacted me about being a captain's pick.  It sounds fun and I would enjoy giving it a go.  It's really impressive the obvious thought and time you put into this.  My only reservation is the screenshot business....sad to admit I've never done one and never learned how. I'll try to get that sorted out before this kicks off I guess.

Thanks Corwyn and Captain Russ,

JJ.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Aug 26 2014 4:19 PM

Hi JJ,

I had a feeling Russ might choose you as one of the captain's picks! Congrats on your consistently excellent scores in the UEL RGs; there's no question you'll make a strong addition to the US team. Do remember to fill out the Time Availability form.

And don't worry too much about the screenshots. Only 1 player per team pairing will need to have the skills, and before we start up, I'll collate some detailed instructions on how to do it.

And Steve, thanks for the heads-up on your availability constraints, and especially, thanks for being the first player to fill out the form! It's great to see your commitment.

In other news, Johnny (WigerToods) has once again surpassed himself with a fabulous promo ad for the event: see revised first post above! Thanks Johnny!

• KyRock75
    411 Posts
    Tue, Aug 26 2014 5:58 PM

Availability form filled out and ready to roll!!

Mike

• Wontonamo
    2,269 Posts
    Tue, Aug 26 2014 7:26 PM

ahhh crap sorry corwyn i wont be available on those dates - im going interstate for a wedding and a roadtrip from sept 30 to oct 13 dammit

apologies in advance - please get an alternate for my spot ty!

gl to all!

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Tue, Aug 26 2014 11:25 PM

Form filled out. Let's get this done!

• stevereilly
    5,910 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 4:13 AM

I'm liking Johnny's work.     

RSS