Forums

Help › Forums

Uneven Lies Ryder Cup @ Pinehurst: Qualification Thread

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 9 2014 8:59 PM (55 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Mar 24 2014 3:08 PM

Yes, yes... I know it's a little early. We won't have Pinehurst to play until the VUSO, and it won't be available in uneven lies until later still in the summer, but we're planning in advance for the 2nd Uneven Lies Ryder Cup, which will be held at Pinehurst in late September/early October.

Unlike the inaugural UEL Ryder Cup (held recently at Merion and won by the ROW team), in which teams were self-selected, this next event will be based on qualification, and the qualifying method will be the Spring 2014 UEL Tour.

The Spring 2014 UEL Tour thread is here, and results will be taken from the next 12 weeks' worth of the free weekly UEL singles tourneys hosted by WGT. They begun today with wk13 and will continue through wk24.

I'm posting this thread now, so that interested players can indicate their availability in the autumn (I know it's months ahead, so don't worry, it won't be a binding commitment, just an indication of your interest…),  and their willingness to try and qualify, or be considered for captain's picks, for the 12 places available on each team.

I'm hoping that interest in this thread will help spread the word, so that players know to participate in the next 12 weekly UEL singles events. Final selections for the Ryder Cup teams will be made from standings relating to a player's best 9 scores, so you can afford to miss a few weeks, or have some bad rounds, and still qualify.

The exact balance is still to be determined, but please expect it to include top finishers in the combined Best 9 Scores relative to par, as well as top combined Credit earners.

If you're wondering how the event will work, and the formats, please see the thread for the last edition. And do note that although this will be multiplayer games, we will have a Time Availability Chart in use that pairs players up that have overlapping schedules, so it should still all work, given players' best intentions.

Thanks, Corwyn

------------------------------

Edit: 8/21/14:

Corwyn:
    Here are the event dates:

wk1 series :: Fourball :: Sat 9/20 thru Mon 9/29

wk2 series :: Foursomes (Alt Shot) :: Mon 9/29 thru Mon 10/6

wk3 series :: Singles ::  Mon 10/6 thru Mon 10/13

Note that we since we now have the ability to play Matchplay and Alt Shot in UEL, we'll be able to do real best-ball Fourball, and Foursomes (Alt Shot), and drop the Worst-Ball compromise we had in the format last time.

-----------------

Please look out for the Time Availability sign-up form at the end of August.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Mar 24 2014 3:09 PM

<reposted for ease of finding from later posts in the thread with final selection criteria [5/14/14] and final standings results [6/24/14]>

UPDATE:

I've spent the last week or so asking players who've been doing well in the Spring 2014 UEL Tour if they intend to try and qualify for the Ryder Cup teams, and updating the Tour Spreadsheet from those who have responded to show current standings for team selection status.

Also I'm now able to be precise about the balance for Team Selection:

Teams will be comprised of the following players:

• Top player for each Team from each tier's credit standings (TL & L)

• Next 4 for each Team from Combined Best 9 Scores Credit Standings

• Next 4 for the ROW Team from Combined Best 9 Scores Relative to Par Standings

& • Next 3 for the USA Team  from Combined Best 9 Scores Relative to Par Standings *

+ 2 Captain's Picks for the ROW team, and 3 Captain's Picks for the USA Team.

* Why does the USA Team get an extra Captain's Pick, you may well ask?

Well, this is why: I am making an executive decision that if available, the extra USA Captain's pick will go to WGTIcon (who will play, as last time, as Iconian). Icon is not allowed to participate in WGT tournaments (on account of being an employee, and thus unable to qualify via the Tour), but has been a true advocate and expert exponent of Uneven Lies, and a great supporter of these events. I feel it is the right thing to do for the community to enable and embrace Icon's participation, and an honor for us to get to play alongside or against such a great player.

Alternates:

We will certainly need alternates. The commitments I've been asking for are necessarily non-binding. We are talking about an event that's several months away, and people's lives change.

Alternates will be selected, first and foremost, from the Spring UEL Tour standings as follows: 1st alternate is next player for each team from the Combined Best 9 Credits list, then 2nd alternate for each team is the next player from Combined Best 9 Relative to Par list, and so on, switching back and forth down the list.

UEL Ryder Cup @ Pinehurst :: Team Standings:

Please note: this is a tricky spreadsheet to comprehend. I've been wrestling with ways in which to present the material (and yet make it a dynamic spreadsheet that will update as the remaining week's results come in)... so I acknowledge it's not perfect, but I'm hoping you can make sense of it!

It pulls data from the Tiered Credits Standings, and the two Best9Scores Credits and Relative to Par Standings (in that order), and cross-references them againstthe list of players who have indicated their intent to try and qualify (and for which team).

Obviously, the players who currently show as winning particular team selection slots may change, as results come in, and if new players decide they want to try to qualify.

Finally, I've indicated names in yellow for those that qualify from that particular table, and in blue the players that have already qualified by virtue of their standing in a preceding table above. Hopefully, that helps :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UEL Ryder Cup @ Pinehurst :: FINAL Team Standings:  after week 24 closing tourney

see post above for explanation of how these spreadsheets work

Below are updated sheets for each Team's qualification status following wk24 results at Kiawah in the UEL Spring Tour. Please check that everything is correct: I'm fairly sure I captured every player that declared an interest in qualification but please make sure.

Click on images below to go straight to respective spreadsheets, or right-click images below to open in new tab, and zoom in to see full size ....

Team ROW: final team qualification standings after wk24 tourney

fmagnets and Corwyn secure their slots on the ROW team by virtue of being the leading players in the TL and L tier credit standings respectively (indeed, they both won their Tours. Congrats!)

The next 4 spots go to the next best placed players in the combined best 9 finishes in the credit standings: KonradOseWontonamojaviertorg, andniqueclyde fill those positions.

The final 4 spots go to the next best placed players in the combined best 9 scores relative to par standings: they are TallAcePauljohehejoFairwayRuepel68, and MainzMan.

The ROW team is made up of these 8 TL and 2 L players, with 2 captain's picks to be made closer to the event.

The ROW team qualification was especially hard-fought, with many outstanding players and RC veterans just missing out on automatic qualification. As it is certain that alternates will be needed, I hope that RC stalwarts such as stevereilly(who, along with lisalovesthesun, was just 3 shots off the pace, and in all probability just one extra round played would have been enough for either of them), Dazza501BonalyauLOLserverjsweetcralcaucin, and WigerToods will all make themselves available as needed. And for the newcomers, lisa came awfully close, as did other Legend emmalinks and cricketrules. One feels that with full participation every week, each of these players would have made the team. Hopefully we can get a good number of them involved in some way come September.

Team USA: final team qualification standings after wk24 tourney

bhoese and mmyers0 secure their slots on the USA team by virtue of being the leading players from their country in the TL and L tier credit standings respectively.

The next 4 spots go to the next best placed players in the combined best 9 finishes in the credit standings: KyRock75BigKnightColumbusStorm (US team captain), and Wesdogg75 fill those positions.

The final 3 spots go to the next best placed players in the combined best 9 scores relative to par standings: they are fredsfgishdrums, and poolmaniac6.

The USA team is made up of these 8 TLs and 1 L player, with 3 captain's picks to be made closer to the event (one of which is reserved for WGTicon, who will play as Iconian).

On the US side, players unlucky to miss automatic qualification include devonnnn (whose 3 missed weeks along with 2 rounds of +2 certainly cost him), while Golfhawk's promotion mid-Tour to TL made it harder to get the extra credits that would have found him a spot (he fell just 50 cr short).
    But, again, with the certainty that alternates will be needed, US players that missed out should keep in touch with this thread and be ready for a call come September!

--------------------------------------------------

Thank you everyone for your participation in the Spring UEL Tour and for battling away for Ryder Cup qualification.

Congratulations to all those who made automatic team selection, and commiserations to those that fell short.

I look forward to connecting with you all again at the end of the summer in preparation for the UEL Ryder Cup @ Pinehurst!

• deedles77
    2,077 Posts
    Fri, Mar 28 2014 10:16 AM

ill give it go

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Fri, Mar 28 2014 11:26 AM

deedles77:

ill give it go

Sounds great. Just make sure to play the Free Weekly Single Play 18 Hole Uneven Lies Tourneys starting with this week(Week 13). Corwyn does a fantastic job of keeping track of all the scores in a spreadsheet for all of us to see.

• sprntrl7
    225 Posts
    Sat, Mar 29 2014 9:35 AM

Please consider me for a place; though I forfeited(week 13 uneven) the singles there because of a silly friend of mine (KonradOse)'s untimely appearance on me friends list had me stop to see what was up. o.0  It was not from a lack of play, I was 3 holes in....anywho, consider. :)

- snoopy

• fredsf
    1,460 Posts
    Sat, Mar 29 2014 10:14 AM

Corwyn (as usual) provides this quality that is his hand print in this game...AGAIN AND AGAIN!!! You're such a great event organizer bud!

I will for sure give a shot to this event, thanks for your PM.

Fred.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sat, Mar 29 2014 12:02 PM

sprntrl7:

Please consider me for a place; though I forfeited(week 13 uneven) the singles there because of a silly friend of mine (KonradOse)'s untimely appearance on me friends list had me stop to see what was up. o.0  It was not from a lack of play, I was 3 holes in....anywho, consider. :)

- snoopy

Keep in mind you pick yourself for consideration in the UEL Ryder Cup by playing in the Weekly Single Play UEL. With 12 weeks of Tourneys scheduled I figure we can't miss more than 2 weeks and still end up in the top placings. GL and have fun. :)

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Sat, Mar 29 2014 12:23 PM

As a member of the ROW team 1st time round i'd loved to be involved again so count me in.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sat, Mar 29 2014 1:27 PM

Corwyn:
    Unlike the inaugural UEL Ryder Cup (held recently at Merion and won by the ROW team), in which teams were self-selected, this next event will be based on qualification, and the qualifying method will be the Spring 2014 UEL Tour.

Damn you C, you interrupted my self imposed exile....lol

Great idea and organization as per C   Nice 1

See you next week !!

Andy

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, Apr 2 2014 10:42 AM

Hey, it's great to see you back Andy!  And congrats on your excellent 61 at Whistler last week. Nice start to the tour!

RSS