Forums

Help › Forums

UEL Tour: Spring 2014 edition

Fri, Jun 27 2014 1:46 PM (149 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Mar 22 2014 9:50 AM

As promised in the initial UEL Tour thread, there will be a Spring edition of the Tour. This will start Monday, March 24th, with the wk13 tourney, and run for 12 weeks (up to the VUSO).

Some context:

In mid-December, WGT introduced free weekly UEL singles tourneys. Since then, there's been an UEL single every week, covering almost the full rotation of courses. WGTShoe has assured me that we will get a full rotation of courses for the next 12 weeks (but WGT's 12 started with this week's Whistler tourney so we will have at least 11 different courses, and perhaps 12 if Whistler is the first again in WGT's next rotation).

To help encourage newer players to give Uneven Lies a go, and as an incentive for those who already love the format, I decided it might be fun to create a Tour from these tourneys.

The initial, test, Winter Tour results are here for anyone interested.

This Spring 2014 UEL Tour will also be the basis for qualification for the 2nd UEL Ryder Cup, to be held at Pinehurst after the summer (once it becomes available for play in uneven practice mode). 

We are hoping to attract the very best UEL players in the game to that event, so please do your best in these weekly UEL singles events to try and qualify. Full details on team qualification will be noted in a dedicated thread in the Community-Organized Events forum.

I am aware that the prize-pool for these free weekly singles tourneys is low, and may not be enough to entice top players to play, if concerned about covering ball costs. I have asked WGTShoe to explore options to increase the prize-pool if at all possible (perhaps these tourneys could even be assigned WGT Nation status with double-prize money?). But I'm also hoping that the possibility of Ryder Cup participation will be a strong incentive to take part.

The Spring UEL Tour Standings spreadsheet:

Scores and credits, etc, will accumulate in this spreadsheet. I'll post sample images below once we have some data after the first week's tourney.

Thanks, Corwyn

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Mar 22 2014 9:51 AM

<reserved for explanatory notes>

Notes on the sheets:

1. Tiers

I've only included Tour Legend and Legend tiers for now. If there is a strong demand to include Tour Master, Master, etc, please let me know (and I'll consider if I can add that to the workload). 

2. Criteria for Score Inclusion

I had to set a limit somewhere, so decided to set these criteria: any score that earns credits (i.e. top 70 finish), or a score of par or better, will be included each week. In our first Tour, in practice this meant every TL score in every tourney was included, and typically 2-3 pages of the L leaderboard was included.

3. Course Conditions:

Throughout the Winter Tour conditions were consistent, with TLs having Low wind conditions for most of the tour (but with their typical Champ greens), while Legends had Moderate wind and Tourney greens. This somewhat balanced itself out, making the comparative Score relative to Par potentially our best combined standings option.

4. Updates

I will update the Standings spreadsheet twice-weekly: 1. On Mondays with final scores from the prior week's tourney. 2. On Tuesdays/Wednesdays, once WGT have completed their score validation, and credit prize-giving.

Thus, the sheet will always be 'in progress'.

5. Workings:

If anyone wants to know how the sheet works, either let me know, or see the Winter Tour edition, where I left visible the background workings of the sheets, for transparency. Please note that I'd also welcome hearing about any errors if you come across them. I'm hoping this can be useful as a template for anyone trying to set up tour events themselves, or in their cc (and I'm available to help do that in exchange for balls, if anyone needs that service).

The Sheets themselves:

Structure:

The spreadsheet has tabs at the bottom that you use to navigate.

There are several color-coded sections:

a) TL standings: 

• in cumulative Credits won;
    • Points earned (using the same simple model as used in prior WGT Ryder Cup events [30 pts for a win, dropping by a point for each place below that];
    • ongoing Average (with requirement of at least 4 rounds);
    • cumulative amount Relative to Par;
    • and an alphabetically-organized Placings sheet (so you can find yourself in the list and see where you've finished across each tourney).

Those sheets are repeated for b) Legend Tier….

Cross-Tier Comparison:

… and then c) there are a few experimental sheets attempting to get a meaningful comparison across the TL and L tiers, with combined credit standings as one version, and score relative to par as another (including versions that take each player's best 9 scores). A case could also be made for preferring the credit standings as it gives more weight to top finishers...

Obviously, no comparison system will be perfect, but I'd be interested to hear people's feedback and ideas.

Data Sheets:

After the Combined Standings sheets come the data…

d) Every week in the tour has a Leaderboard sheet, including both the TL and L information, copied from the tourney leaderboards (and will include a live link to each of those WGT webpages at the top).

Finally, e) there are some admin sheets: an intermediate place to paste data from WGT, and Player List and Courses sheets, that the standings sheets pull from.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Mar 22 2014 9:51 AM

Tour Sponsorships:

I've had a couple of very generous sponsors step forward and offer 2,000cr towards a prize pool for this UEL Spring Tour, and I will match it with another 2,000cr.

So, for the winner of each tier's Credit Standings, there will be a 2,000cr prize. KonradOse will sponsor the prize for the Legend Credit Standings winner, and I will sponsor the Tour Legend Credit Standings winner.

Our anonymous 3rd sponsor's 2,000cr will go towards a sleeve each for the next placed best finishers in each tier's Scores Relative to Par category (skipping the players that win the respective Tour prizes above). [These sleeves to be awarded on this basis: 1. highest placed player in L tier Relative to Par (if not winner of Tour). 2. highest placed player in TL tier Relative to Par (if not winner of Tour). 3. next highest placed player in L tier. 4. If any credits left out of the 2,000, the next highest placed player in TL tier.]

If any other sponsors wish to step forward, please do. You can post here in the thread, or PM me if you'd rather do it privately.

Thank you so much to our generous sponsors!

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Mon, Mar 24 2014 9:58 AM

The Week 13 18-hole Single Play Uneven Lies Tourney(Week 1 of our UEL Tour, Spring 2014 edition), when on the game client for entry, shows a picture of Cabo but says it's Whistler. Anyone play and know which course comes up? I suppose it doesn't matter but would like to know which of the 2 it actually is before I commit to play it.

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Mon, Mar 24 2014 1:42 PM

Whistler. A lot of the pictures seem to be muddled this week....

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Mar 24 2014 1:45 PM

Thanks Mags! I was wondering too... and just in process of looking at some of the profiles of the best scores, and seeing who had 'eagles' made and on which  course.

Needless to say your profile was among the first places I looked! Nice 60!!!

• devonnnnn
    1,085 Posts
    Fri, Mar 28 2014 9:24 AM

Thanks Crow for the message. I gladly accept playing the weekly uneven 18 as I have been. Thanks again for all you are doing :)

• unclenewy
    334 Posts
    Fri, Mar 28 2014 10:49 PM

Got your message Corwyn.

I have just posted a score in the weekly UEL and would love to be involved in your next project......hotel wifi permitting.

Cheers 

Neil

• stevereilly
    5,910 Posts
    Sun, Mar 30 2014 1:16 AM

It sounds like you've sent pm's to over half the entire WGT community, Corwyn..

Hopefully, I can be a part of the ROW squad once again in the Ryder Cup,,   though this time I will have to earn my spot on the team.

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Mon, Mar 31 2014 4:40 AM

Ops, there is NO single UEL 18 holes tournament this week :-(....or is it only me that cannot find it?

Hope Shoe or Icon are following this thread, it would be a pity to change the hole concept of qualifying.

Eric

EDIT. I have pm Icon on the situation, I hope he or Shoe can do something about it.

Cheers guys

RSS