Forums

Help › Forums

UEL Ryder Cup @ Pinehurst: Sep20-Oct13

Fri, Oct 17 2014 4:57 PM (366 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Sep 13 2014 10:03 AM

Corwyn:
    If any of the full team members can add additional YES hours when you can play multiplayer matches for sure, please let me know, either simply in the thread here (e.g. "yes, I can add an extra hour at the end of my previously stated time 6-8pm (local) on weekdays [except Weds]") or via PM. In particular, this is likely to be a challenge in the first 2 series (Sep 20-29 & Sep 29-Oct6), with 4-player matches. Any extra hours you can offer will make life easier. Thanks!

FYI: I'll share the spreadsheet link here in the thread tomorrow morning.

The draft of everyone's Time Availability is taking shape and captains are getting close to being able to announce pairings and to do their 'secret envelope' process later today for the first series of matches.

It would be extremely helpful if players could check to see if they have PMs to respond to, and if everyone can take a look at the Chart to see if your own local times are correct, and whether or not you can add any time.

In particular, it appears as if some extra hours of availability would be helpful. If any US players can play earlier in their late afternoons/evenings, and if any ROW players can stay up later, especially on weekdays, that would be great! Let us know here in the thread.

As an example, here is the Chart in picture form: right-click to open in new tab, apologies if it's not very sharp (it's easier to read in the spreadsheet itself: also note the spreadsheet will be constantly updated; it's dynamic, while this pic below is not!)

It looks confusing at first. Here are some notes that might help:

1. weekdays are the first half of the chart, weekends are on the right.

2. Time difference shows where players are in relation to UTC, and the time blocks in each of the columns are UTC time ("0" means 12:00am-1am UTC, and so on).

3. Players' local time is also noted in each grid box where they can play: darker green signifies a "YES" time, while the lighter green is a "possible" time, per the data you filled out on your form.

4. Players have been arranged together if they requested a particular partner on their team. Others are broadly grouped by compatible times to help captains figure out who could play with whom.

5. Alternates are listed in priority order at the bottom of each team's line-up.

and once again, my huge thanks go to Racoondad for his incredible assistance with the formulas that make this spreadsheet function. Thank you Rac!

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sat, Sep 13 2014 10:26 AM

fredsf:

Corwyn:

I'm game for some practice! Thanks Rock. 

Anyone else want to go green and join us?

I've just played a practice round myself, I can tell that despite conditions, in a good day, it stays scorable.

Especially with putts like this one  ;)

replay.aspx?ID=dbd03e96 c849 4e69 a619 a3a500e2d0cf

What was the final score?   I'll keep it for me but I can tell I'd be more than happy to play every RC rounds like this one.

I'm definitely up for some practice with company Rock and Corwyn!

Fred

I played an intense practice round last night. Played from the tips, Champ green and Medium wind. Shot a 60 and it's the lowest score I've ever gotten on Pinehurst including flat lies. Go figure. ;)

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sat, Sep 13 2014 10:39 AM

PRIESTESS:

Corwyn i am going to regretfully withdraw from this competition, Thank you so much for thinking of me and offering me a captains pick.Meter just isn't stable  or reliable enough for me to enjoy or have confidence in this game right now, i have tried many browers and the constant stutter has worn me out:) Shame because i love to compete but i am not going to fight it no longer. Good luck everyone . A huge effort has gone into making this work ,it looks like a winner already:)

I'm rather disappointed from a competitive perspective. I've seen the scores PRIESTESS can put up and was hoping to see some it it with my own eyes. Her vid playing Bethpage in UEL was amazing.

Also, Corwyn needs someone to hold his hand around the course.Sometimes he gets distracted saving his replays and ends up lost. ;)

~CD~

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sat, Sep 13 2014 1:31 PM

Ha, ha, too funny Cerino!

You're absolutely right of course... Sometimes I'm so busy saving all the details of a round for posterity, that I mess it up so badly it's not worth sharing, lol!

Seriously, I do hope I won't be the only one writing dramatic accounts of their matches...

... and it would also be great if anyone wants to pick up on WigerToods' suggestion that we have some matches streamed. (Maybe that would be a way for Tess to show off her great UEL skills even with a dodgy meter, by being the conduit for the rest of us to see some singles matches? Streaming any of the 4-person matches is probably more than any participants' computer can handle.)

Latest news: I have received the 'secret envelope' from the US Captain Russ (ColumbusStorm) with all his pairings in list order for the week 1 Fourball (Best-Ball) series. Just waiting now on the equivalent from SteveReilly (ROW co-captain)...

• stevereilly
    5,910 Posts
    Sat, Sep 13 2014 8:20 PM

The ROW secret envelope has been dispatched.    Bring on round one.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Sep 14 2014 12:17 AM

Thanks Steve!

I've applied both teams' 'secret envelope' lists into a draft working spreadsheet to see if it all works out, and the captains and I are conferring currently to iron out the kinks... The good news is that all but one match has viable overlap (and I'm trying to fix the only snafu with that one).

I hope to publish full wk1 Match info as early as possible Sunday.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Sep 14 2014 6:18 AM

FYI: Team News: Bonalyau has been asked to step in for Priestess for the ROW team (I am however, still waiting on confirmation from Jean)

---------------------------------

Here are the week 1 Matches: Please note, several matches have only one possible day that they can be played which is noted below.

It will take everyone's best intentions and clear communication to pull this off! Please pay attention to PMs and this thread, and confirm your matches for precise times and be there as scheduled! Real-life may well interfere, but let's all do our very best to make this work. Thanks!

See detailed instructions below on What to do next... Please also confirm here in the thread when it is all arranged.

---------------------------------------------

Week 1 (from Sat 9/20 to Mon 9/29) :: FourBall (Best Ball) series with a set of six matches to be played over 9 holes (the front 9 at Pinehurst #2)  :: Match Conditions:

Pinehurst #2 :: 4-Player Strokeplay :: Practice Mode :: Front 9 :: default Pins :: Blue (Hard) tees :: Tournament Green speed :: High wind :: Uneven Lies :: 90 second timer

Please note: Matches should end at the 9th, if they haven't ended earlier. You should not play Extra Holes. If match is tied after the 9th hole, then the result is A/S, and each team wins 1/2 pt.

The line-up for the 1st week 4-Player Fourball matches, to be completed by Mon 29th Sep is as follows: see Chart here

ROW Team                  vs                    USA

A ::      johehejo & FairwayRuepel68   vs     bhoese & Devonnnnn

B ::      stevereilly & MainzMan            vs     mmyers0 & ColumbusStorm

C ::      fmagnets & jsweetcr                 vs     Bigknight & CerinoDevoti

D ::     javiertorg & Bonalyau                vs     JJ656 & GolferDadRB

E ::      Dazza501 & cricketrules           vs     KyRock75 & iconian

F ::      KonradOse & Corwyn               vs     Wesdogg75 & fredsf

Suggested dates/times for Matches:

A :: The only overlap for the 4 of you is the weekend, between 6-10pm UTC (11am-3pm WGT time)

B :: The only overlap for the 4 of you is on one particular day at the weekend, on Saturday 9/20, between 5-10pm UTC (10am-3pm WGT time)

C :: Please pay attention to the notes for your participants: hopefully you can plan on playing weekday Thursday (BK's best day) which has 3 hr overlap with a BK & jsweets possible block, between 3-6pm UTC (8-11am WGT time)

D :: Your group has lots of possible overlap time weekday and weekend if needed: best window is weekdays 11pm-2am UTC (4-7pm WGT time)

E :: The only overlap for the 4 of you is the weekend, and probably only Sundays [given Jack's schedule], between 7-11pm UTC (noon-4pm WGT time)

F :: This is the match with the worst overlap, with me being the snafu: there's nothing that can work weekday, and I have almost no chance to play at the weekend. It's just possible I could be home with no family around Saturday morning between 4-6pm UTC (9-11am WGT time), so I've sent out PMs to try and set that up. If we can't make it work, I'll drop out for wk1 and ask for an alternate to fill in, and the 4 players could try again the next day or the next weekend. Note that we do have 2 weekends available for play each week as the series overlap.

Here is the Chart in picture form: right-click to open in new tab, (note: it's easier to read in the spreadsheet itself; also the spreadsheet will be constantly updated; it's dynamic, while this pic below is not!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What to do next?

Send Friend Requests to your playing partner and your opponents from the other team. Either use this forum thread to confirm your matches via public replies (please quote this post and any relevant replies to make it easier to track), or do it all via PMs. [Always post here in the thread so we know you are scheduled.]

This tourney will not work if you rely on just 'catching your partner and opponents green' -- you must schedule a specific time and date, and be there at that time!

Note that you will be keeping the Matchplay score as you go via the chat: the winning team per hole is the one whose Best-Ball of the 2 players is the lowest.

The ROW team, as reigning Virtual Ryder Cup champions, shall have the honor, and so should set up the matches and be the first pair to tee off.

Please designate one player per match (per team as backup) to capture and share scorecard screenshots in the forum thread. Note that there can be an A/S result, which will mean 1/2 point to each team.

Also, very important: please note, Gimme's are NOT allowed. You must put the ball in the hole!  If anyone does take a Gimme, it'll count as a 10 on your card, so... Don't take a Gimme!

Any questions, please ask here!

Thanks, and good luck to everyone, Corwyn

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sun, Sep 14 2014 10:40 AM

Boy I wish I hadn't mouthed off earlier. I see Corwyn has my pard and I(Group C) playing against his Stone Cold Killer (WTCC) buddies to teach me a lesson.  I checked out my pard as well and it appears I'm the weakest player of the 4 by a whole lot.

Thanks a lot Corwyn.   lol   ;)

~CD~

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Sep 14 2014 8:54 PM

Ha, ha Cerino! Really, there's no rigging involved.

Each team's captains come up with their preferred pairings (Russ did his own, having seen a draft of the spreadsheet to see which of his team had requested playing partners, and which had compatible playing times; while Steve and I conferred over the ROW pairings for this week.

I'm pretty sure some strategy went into pairing decisions by both teams, bearing in mind that in Fourball only the best score per pair counts towards that team's score for the hole. So, as a struggling Legend who also feels a little overwhelmed in this competition, I know that I've a chance to contribute for my team with a good score on any given hole.

Back to the process: then we really do follow a 'secret envelope' method, with Russ sending me via email his list in numbered order, and Steve doing the same via PM. Russ' came first this time, but I can promise you I didn't look at it or communicate with Steve prior to getting his list.

The lucky part comes when I put it all together and it happened to work first time. To avoid any possibility of fixing who plays whom, Russ and I have worked out a system whereby if any particular match-up can't work according to the Time Chart, we try the next combination. Thus, we start 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5, 6-6; if that fails to produce six viable matches, I try reverse order 1-6, 2-5, 3-4, 4-3, 5-2, 6-1; if that fails I shift the numbers by one, 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6, 6-1; and then by 2, and so on.

That way, even though I'm both organizer and a team captain, we have a process to follow that's impartial.

-------------------------------

Any updates, anyone... ? It would be great to hear of successful Friend Requests and communication taking place.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Sun, Sep 14 2014 8:58 PM

I'll set the ball rolling with news from my match:

Corwyn:
                      ROW Team                  vs                    USA

F ::      KonradOse & Corwyn               vs     Wesdogg75 & fredsf

Suggested dates/times for Matches:

F :: This is the match with the worst overlap, with me being the snafu: there's nothing that can work weekday, and I have almost no chance to play at the weekend. It's just possible I could be home with no family around Saturday morning between 4-6pm UTC (9-11am WGT time), so I've sent out PMs to try and set that up. If we can't make it work, I'll drop out for wk1 and ask for an alternate to fill in, and the 4 players could try again the next day or the next weekend.

Match F: I am very confident I can make this work next Saturday, and have now received PM responses from Wes and Fred to say that time [Sat 9/20 4pm UTC (9am WGT time)] works for them. Just waiting to hear back from Konrad.

Hopefully our first match will be firmly scheduled soon!

RSS