Help › Forums

Meter problem is getting worse

rated by 0 users
Tue, Sep 14 2010 7:13 PM (73 replies)
  • cruiser1
    74 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 6:50 AM

tiffer67:
    This problem really is getting worse, particularly with the putting meter. Twice in the same round today I have seen the meter continue after I have clicked then stop just short of the end of the bar. This has resulted in both putts hopelessly moving right of the hole from a distance of 3 and 4 feet.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                           i feel your pain!!!! havent ever had this happen until this last update. Full swing with driver and irons smooth but the putting stutter has got me 3 or 4 times in the last week. Just like you said, i clicked at the line and it continued to travel to the end and who knows who clicked it then......lol   WGT i guess          

• BEARlyThere
    88 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 7:32 AM

I agree as well that we shouldn't have to jump through hoops to play a game.

With that said, please refer to the help forums on just about every PC game out there and see if there aren't numerous tweaks and system hacks to "optimize your playing experience".

Beta or not, browser based or otherwise, the truth is, this will always be a truth in PC gaming. It goes back forever.

On another note, I read somewhere here that someone noted a memory leak since the September 1st release so this could account for the meter, among other things, slowing down as you play over time.

If anyone remembers where that post was, or has been experiencing the same thing and can pinpoint it too a memory leak, please bring it to the attention of WGT. Re-introduction of a memory leak problem is quite common after major releases and WGT needs to be made aware of it. This is apparently something they have found and fixed before so I'm sure they'd be thankful for any information regarding it.

andyson - if you could bring the multi-core/hyperthread issue (and possible fix) to WGT's attention citing mine and other's experience with it, that would be a huge help to WGT as well I should think.

Maybe if that is brought to their attention they can experiment with other core/thread combinations and check the results. It may lead to a breakthrough at best, or a workaround at the very least.

• Pangaea
    242 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 7:56 AM

andyson:
    Anyone out there having success smoothing the meter by setting affinity to a single CPU on a dual core 2 thread PC??

I have such a CPU, and I'm not entirely sure if it works yet. Sometimes it seems to improve things a little bit, other times it has zero impact. Yesterday for example was a nightmare meter day. Meter would run fine-ish until the centre ding line, and then it would suddenly warp over the ding line, causing me to seriously miss many a putt and many a shot. It was infuriating and things were thrown about.

Not played yet today, but I sure hope things are better.

Yesterday I even restarted my PC in an attempt to get a better meter, but that didn't work either. It sometimes helps a little to re-start the browser (and close the WGT main window!!) as it tends to hog up more ram by simply running.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 8:33 AM

BEARlyThere:
    andyson - if you could bring the multi-core/hyperthread issue (and possible fix) to WGT's attention citing mine and other's experience with it, that would be a huge help to WGT as well I should think.

Believe me I've been trying for a month.

Done again, note sent to WGTSky this morning.

• RHawkman
    21 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 9:02 AM

Alrighty, here goes an analogy.  You go to a car dealership and take out a car for a test drive.  Fantastic car until you notice at various times during the test drive the engine sputters and even stalls a couple times.  The rest of the time you love pretty much everything about the car.  When you return to the dealership, you call out for the sales manager who ignores you then finally tells you that it is a problem with your driving...the car runs fine, you just need to change the way you drive and that it is a result of how this particular engine operates so you need to alter yourself to fit the car.  You tell them that you have driven many other cars and that you are a fair mechanic and have driven a few million miles in your life but they still insist you don't know what you are talking about.  

Would you buy this car from this dealer?  Not me.  

Is anyone from the WGT staff reading this?  NOT ME, I will not buy this car.  

I will go to another dealership to find a different car that doesn't run poorly, even if it only does stall 'sometimes'.  

And that is what I am doing.  I have been test driving Tiger Woods PGA tour online.  To continue the analogy, that car isn't nearly as pretty nor as enjoyable to drive all the time, but the engine doesn't miss sporadically.  Granted it has been less than a week of playing but I have only had two instances of the swing function pausing in approximately 1000 swings.  I want to use, play and BUY this car (WGT), but until I test drive it (isn't that what a Beta is?) and it works the way it should and the dealer stops ignoring and nearly insulting a sizable portion of their customers, I will be forced to look elsewhere.  

Consumers vote with their $$.  I have had my credit car out to put down my money to buy clubs to improve my ability, but each time this infuriating issue arises yet again and I say 'screw it, I am done with this game'.  Only to return a few days or weeks later to give it another shot.  You (WGT) have developed a wonderful game.  Easy to play initially but tough to play well and difficult to master.  It has very decent flexibility and variety.  If this issue would be addressed, or even just let us know you are working hard to fix it, those of us who like it WILL stick around.  I think the patience of users has been shown.

And for all those who don't have this problem, I am very happy for you. But I know, not just have read on here, but personally know several people who I play with that ALL have the swing bar problem on every computer they use that can handle any other application they run.   And about half of them have completely quit playing the game because of it.  

We have run it in IE, Maxthon, Firefox, and Chrome with the same results. On systems running from 2GB DDR to 8 GB DDR3 ECC RAM.  Processors from single core 2GHz to dual Xeon 3.4GHz.  Laptops, desktops and high end workstations.  Daily software and OS updates or systems that haven't been updated in months.  XP Home and Professional, Vista Home Premium, Enterprise and Ultimate and Windows 7 Home, Premium and Ultimate.  That's right, no Macs.  So call me a whiner or whatever, but don't try to whitewash what is blatantly a software anomaly just because it doesn't affect everyone, every time.  

Finally a bit of self-aggrandizing/ I maintain and train others how to maintain integrated networked military weapon systems with literally hundreds and hundreds of processors of every type you can imagine and many you might not that cost hundreds of millions of dollars and it's not just nice if they work, but they MUST work.  So when operators (customers) advise me of a problem I may begin looking at operator error, but when it is happening to lots of them all over the place, I have to admit my system has a problem.  I can't just ignore them or tell them they are idiots. And pointing to those who are not having trouble DOES NOT FIX THE PROBLEM.

Argh, it is obvious I really care about this game or I wouldn't get so worked up about it.  But patience is not infinite.  As many others have said, I can live with the inconsistencies of shots, the vagaries of wind, and absolutely shots that go bad cuz I did something wrong.  But I can not accept an anomaly that can and should be addressed that does it to me seemingly on a whim.  I am off to develop my player on TWO.  I am sure I will be back to see how things go here and have my fingers crossed.  Good luck and good game to all of you who could stand to read this.

/rant over/

Ron

• BEARlyThere
    88 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 1:35 PM

Ron, I'm with you 100%.

WGT has to first openly ADMIT there is a problem and tell us they are working on it.

As a long-time beta tester, even my patience is limited. I will dig and search and hope and pray for work-arounds but eventually I will tire and move on.

This particular work-around that andyson brought to my attention has placated me enough to stay around a little longer but if I personally don't see WGT doing something about it I'll be gone too.

I can't say if it will be weeks or months but for now I'm happy.

The next step is for WGT to keep me (and everyone else who's had their fill of this) happy.

And, the older I get, the less patient I've become so the clock is ticking...lol

• pillsy
    489 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 3:52 PM

has anyone else played the US Open Pebble Beach trial game?  my god, the meter is glorious.  smooth as silk.  now how can we get that same meter performance for the regular WGT?  and why is there even a difference?

• RHawkman
    21 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 4:20 PM

Going there to try it now.  I see it is WGT.  

• RHawkman
    21 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 4:46 PM

Playing now.  I am sucking, but it isn't because of the swing meter stuttering.  when I finish round I am gonna open the normal WGT game and see how it is there.  Thanks for the alert pillsy

Played a practice round to see and it worked pretty good.  Anyone wanna guess what changes I made to my system since I quit a game yesterday cuz it sucked?  Not a thing.  Computer has been running continuously since then.

IT     IS    NOT     MY    COMPUTER

FYI, TWO is looking better all the time.

• Pangaea
    242 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 5:21 PM

The meter fucked me - again. 4 down after 6 holes. Then BAM. -1 after 9.

I'm done. Bye.

RSS