Forums

Help › Forums

Meter problem is getting worse

rated by 0 users
Tue, Sep 14 2010 7:13 PM (73 replies)
  • AGArgent
    343 Posts
    Fri, Sep 10 2010 9:01 PM

Are  you ADMIN people at ALL reading ANY of this about stuttering meters since September 1st????!!!!  Or are you actually, as some have suggested completely ignoring this????!!!! WHAT THE EFF IS GOING ON HERE???? I will NOT play anymore because I CANNOT PUTT!!!!!!!!!!! How else can I make it clearer?????!!!!  PLEASE!!!  AT LEAST ATTEMPT TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE MATTER!!  Peace and love.

• BEARlyThere
    88 Posts
    Fri, Sep 10 2010 9:19 PM

RHawkman:

Sorry, but I found this very hard to believe.  Much like pulling 4 spark plug wires on a V8 and saying it runs better.  I tried it and my swing meter was much worse.  Back to dual and fairly smooth.  Today it is playable.  

Hey Hawk, I'd tend to agree with you. I'm the first one to be critical of something that doesn't work as it should when I've taken all the steps I can find to fix it.

Whether you believe it or not, this worked for me. Read the article and try it. If it works, great. If it doesn't, let us know is all.

It's not a matter of pulling wires on a V8. I've actually seen similar things work for other games and software. Some games run worse on my system with twin 8600 GT graphics cards in SLI. If I disable SLI, they work fine.

I've seen the hyperthreading issue for other things as well. I just didn't know, until now, that it effected Flash too.

The only pain in the rear is having to set affinity every time I play. I'll look into a solution for that over the weekend when I'm not working.

• RHawkman
    21 Posts
    Fri, Sep 10 2010 9:39 PM

I don't doubt it worked for you.  I was just stating the logic of it.  I am no programmer.  I work on enough computers that do stuff that makes no sense at all.  So virtually anything is possible.  Tonight it was going ok for a while then turned to crap.  So...here I am playing TWO.  Amazing how I have only had one instance of any stutter in the swing meter there.  Pretty sad, especially when the only official responses I have seen on here have been telling everyone it is the individuals problem.  For the past 25 years I have worked on a USAF aircraft with well over 50 processors on it and if I had a large percentage of operators telling me they have the same problem, I would NOT believe it was in there workstation but in a common element.  

• BEARlyThere
    88 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 1:30 AM

RHawkman:

I don't doubt it worked for you.  I was just stating the logic of it.  I am no programmer.  I work on enough computers that do stuff that makes no sense at all.  So virtually anything is possible.  Tonight it was going ok for a while then turned to crap.  So...here I am playing TWO.  Amazing how I have only had one instance of any stutter in the swing meter there.  Pretty sad, especially when the only official responses I have seen on here have been telling everyone it is the individuals problem.  For the past 25 years I have worked on a USAF aircraft with well over 50 processors on it and if I had a large percentage of operators telling me they have the same problem, I would NOT believe it was in there workstation but in a common element.  

Ah, okay I hear you now Hawk.

I don't understand WGT's reluctance to address the issue at all. And, after researching the Flash/multi-core problem a bit more myself, I can't believe they don't know about it.

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 2:49 AM

Because the meter problem is not a WGT issue. 

• BeachGolf
    119 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 4:29 AM

I disagree that it's not a WGT issue.  From day 1, because of the design of the meter, the meter is jumpy based on the data rate that you can get at your house from their server.  This varies not only by your internet connection, but also by how busy their server is and probably other things including the programming.  Maybe we need a new meter altogether that preloads and doesn't take data during the swing.

Anyway, something that is more important is that the meter DOES get more jumpy the longer you play (at least on Internet Explorer).  When I first load it up, the meter is smoother (never perfectly smooth, but close).  After a few holes it starts stuttering.  After a couple rounds, it's definately difficult to play. 

The other thing that seems to be related to the worsening swing meter is that the next shot, and especially the scorecard and next hole, loads slower the longer you play.  I think the same thing that causes the swing meter to get slower the longer you play is also affecting the load time for the next hole.

Maybe it's a problem with how information is stored in the Flash cache, but I personally think that the programming group needs to see if there are other ways to use the computer's cache memory instead of the Flash memory so it doesn't get worse while you play.  I have my cache at the maximum limit (100MB I think) and it doesn't seem to affect this problem.

Just because some people rarely see the stuttering doesn't mean it's not a WGT problem.  Enough said.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 5:05 AM

BEARlyThere:

I just tried this (changing affinity to single core) and I can NOT believe how smooth the meter is!

It's so smooth it threw me off completely...lol.

I can't thank you enough for pointing me to this andyson. I'm back and enjoying the game again.

Cool!  Glad to help.

WGTSky, can you have something from the WGT CTO added to the "optimizing your PC"  items pertaining to setting affinity to a single core?  Having something there will make it easier to find.  Thanks.

RHawkman:
    Sorry, but I found this very hard to believe.  Much like pulling 4 spark plug wires on a V8 and saying it runs better.  I tried it and my swing meter was much worse.  Back to dual and fairly smooth.  Today it is playable. 

Hawk, I know it works on systems that are dual core with 4 threads (when opening Set Affinity in Task Manager Processes it says CPU0, CPU1, CPU2, CPU3). 

I'm not sure it works on all dual core 2 thread systems (when opening Set Affinity in Task Manager Processes it says CPU0, CPU1)  Have you tried running single CPU on CPU0 and if that doesn't help then try running single CPU on CPU1?

(Not to be sarcastic or anything Hawk, my GM 5.3L V8 has Displacement on Demand and shuts down 4 cylinders when cruising to improve MPG.  And I agree with you, it doesn't make sense to dumb down my PC to run Flash with 1/4 of my PC's power, but it works.)

Anyone out there having success smoothing the meter by setting affinity to a single CPU on a dual core 2 thread PC??

• overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 5:26 AM

The point is we shouldn't NEED to do all these tweaks and stuff just to play a game we already meet the minimum system requirements for...

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 5:27 AM

BeachGolf:
    Anyway, something that is more important is that the meter DOES get more jumpy the longer you play (at least on Internet Explorer).

There are many posts on here saying the game runs better on FireFox and Chrome browsers than on IE.   Have you tried either FF or Chrome?

I think you're on to something with how Flash manages the cache.  Seems I recall players saying they cleared the cache before playing a RG and slower loading was preferred over a stuttering meter.   If cache management is under complete programmer control then it would be WGTs fix.  If cache management is independent of program control, then its a Flash fix.

I see flash/FF storing files in both cache memory and cache disk btw. (8.5Mb in memory, 86Mb on disk right now. Type "about:cache" into the address of the FF browser)

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Sep 11 2010 5:29 AM

overthetop2:

The point is we shouldn't NEED to do all these tweaks and stuff just to play a game we already meet the minimum system requirements for...

You and I are on the same page OTT!  I agree 1000%

I think meter issues are holding back the growth of new users on this game.  The average person trying the game and seeing stuttering graphics and meter isn't necessarily going to read the forums or FAQ they'll just blow it off and go elsewhere.

Of those that do check the forums, some will be intimidated by the long list of optimizing your PC workarounds and also blow it off and go elsewhere.

RSS