Forums

Help › Forums

New Opens ridiculous

Sat, Jul 3 2010 5:56 PM (134 replies)
  • tripleboggee
    2 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 3:47 PM

the greens are virtually unplayable!!! , im reading all your coments bout in real life this and real life that, in real life the greens would definitely not be as hard to handle as this game. It makes this game so dam frustrating you would stupid to play it

• DelisleJM
    8 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 4:20 PM

I fully agree,   frustration is not my goal in playing here

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 5:15 PM

It is very hard, and it should be for the virtual open. In multi-player you can go to practice and set it up for slower greens. This is one of those debates that is going to exist as long as computer golf exists. Make things more playable for the newer players and the game loses challenge for the better ones. Visa versa is also true..

Just for the open, Oakmont needs to stay exactly as it is.

When the open is over, I think its more than enough time for a new tier for the great players.

A slight calming down for the rest of us.

So far ive missed the cut for both  opens by 1 stroke..

Im fine with that, I can learn to shoot lower.

• patricp
    52 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 5:38 PM

And that, my friend, is why golf is a 4-letter word, and also why golf has been best defined as 'a good walk spoiled.'

Hittem' straight . . .

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 5:59 PM

I can't stand the way this is going. I can handle it, I suppose, but believe that Mr.WGT is typical of most geeks. They are great with the tech crap but have zero skill regarding what people want. He doesn't play here, just developes the game in his eye. It is becoming not fun. He is following what he thinks it should be. Fair enough, but he is wrong and going in the wrong direction. 

• Jimac55
    88 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 6:14 PM

I've played Oakmont quite a few times now. Like everyone else I thought the putting was haywire but not any more. Every strange putt and even every run through the green I can now see why it happened. There are some areas where you just can't land and there are some places you can't putt to the hole from, there is no way around having to "learn" this course.

I've actually birdied every hole now except for that B^&**$y ninth but I can't go 18 holes,( make that 3),  without a twitch. Those that can shoot under 60. no mystery no cheating.

Now that I'm under the cut line will everyone else just stop playing, I need that cap.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 7:50 PM

Come on Sweet P you can't be serious? 

Everyone cried when Andy's came out (well okay not quite everyone) on how easy it was, oh jeez this game is turning into TW etc etc. quite a few people chimed in and everyone had the same notion, the next course should be another tough cookie like BPB.  

Well here it is :)  

I think this makes a nice balance and rounds out the 4 courses nicely no? 

I'm just estatic to have 4 courses now as there is no other Golf game to play AFAIAC. 

This game has really stepped it up a notch and I applaud them for this course and all WGT is today.  The one thing I would probably like to see most now is just a new tier so the Master level can be a more competitive group.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 8:33 PM

Open courses are too easy.  Bring on the 30+ mph winds and championship green speed and we have a challenge :)

• IvaThongon
    933 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 10:01 PM

AlaCowboy:

neildiamond11790:

Chip, this mentality is fundamental problem in the world, unheralded lack of competition and the lack of desire to achieve and earn anything.  It may have been easier back then, but it was still doable and is still being done today. 

To an extent you are correct Neil. But I consider myself to be a fair golfer in here. I have played several incomplete rounds on Oakmont and quit when being +9 or more by the 10th hole. I have posted 2 rounds there and have a 97 and an 85. Tell me how the heck I have a prayer in the Open?

I play this game here for the same reason I play it in real life --- because I enjoy it no matter the score. I can shoot 70-74 on Kiawah and 69-75 on Saint Andrews from the Pro tees most any time, but if I practice Oakmont forever I won't be able to come close to par. If the cutoff for the REAL US Open is at 68 then I'll buy a round for all.

You Masters can have the tournament tees and glass greens and I'll enjoy the other courses.

I have played (in real life) several rounds on courses that had recently hosted US Opens and were still set up for them, greens and all. The rough was murder and the greens were indeed fast and slick, but nowhere near like Oakmont. These greens are not close to real life.

Hi Cowboy,

I'm a decent player here, with moderate equipment, and the free golf balls. I've gone 71 in the Oakmont tournament and 74 on the St. Andrews tournament. Yes they are hard, but I love that they are harder. I have no problem with the best of the WGT players being the ones who make the cut. They are the ones who should be making it.

I'm extremely happy with +1 and +2 in those tourneys. Each score included 7 birdies. If I tightened up my game just to not bogey, even I would have been 63 and 65.

I'm pretty happy with it.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 10:07 PM

BolloxInBruges:
    Open courses are too easy.  Bring on the 30+ mph winds and championship green speed and we have a challenge :)

Who is we?

RSS