Forums

Help › Forums

New Opens ridiculous

Sat, Jul 3 2010 5:56 PM (134 replies)
  • Cliff627
    9 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 6:54 AM

It is a very tough test. but exactly as is is in real life....hardly, Some of the best golfers in the world have played on that course and I can say for sure that NONE of them have ever shot a sub 60 there. The master level players are very good and Iam not taking anything away from there skill. However, I would like to see WGT make seperate flights for Masters and Pros. Granted I do understand they cant offer the same payouts. leave the great prizes for the masters and maybe some credits for the winners of the pro flight.

• TheZiggy
    550 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 6:56 AM

It's largely about practice and experience. One of my best rounds, a 68 could have been, and should have been so much better. During the round I dropped in 8 birdies. Unfortunately I made 6 very stupid mistakes, to drop 6 shots. One of the worst being a very simple putt for birdie from 3 feet, which I totally mistimed, and ended up 3 putting for the most infuriatingly stupid bogey. Most of the other 5 bogey's were pretty stupid as well. What it shows is, that I don't yet have the right level of focus to shoot a really low score, but have proved to my satisfaction that the really good scores have nothing to do with cheating. I'd never doubted it, though did always wonder what it took to achieve those scores. I just need more practice and better focus to stop making silly unnecessary errors, and I should easily beat the 68 I have currently posted.

• DL3Fan
    6 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 6:57 AM

I bought two different sets of clubs and still can't reach two different holes in regulation at Oakmont and one hole at St. Andrews. I can't break 70 at Oakmont and can't break 69 at St. Andrews. You would think that would be good enough to at least qualify but not with people shooting 15 under par. VERY FRUSTRATING!  

I come on this site to have fun and unwind. I don't live here like some and don't have the time to try and figure out how each blade of grass on each hole of each course is going to affect my shot. It would be nice to be able to spin the ball like in real life, hit flop shots like in real life, hit shots out of fairway bunkers and rough like in real life, but it's a game and things are set up a certain way so what are you gonna do. It doesn't take a veteran WGT Member to make the observations that I have made after playing several hundred rounds and I am by no means complaining.     

I have also found that the game itself is somewhat unpredictable. You would think that being a "game" if you hit the shot perfectly the ball would at least go strait. I have had numerous tee shots, putts, and approaches that were dead pulls and pushes hitting a perfect shot with no wind or break which led to missed fairways, greens, and putts. The rough also seems to “catch” the ball a little too quickly, especially on chips around the greens and it’s like that on every course, not just the two new ones playing under major conditions.

As frustrating as these new courses are, I continue to try and qualify when I can. I may be able to shoot 67 at Oakmont and qualify if I don't put my foot threw the computer screen, but shooting a 66 or better at St. Andrews just to qualify is rediculous and probably wont happen. I try and spend my free time practicing on real Golf Courses!

To those of you who are shooting sub 60 rounds on these new courses and manage to do it without spending every waking moment on here like an obsessed college gamer, my hats off to you. Not sure how you are doing it, but my hats off to you!!!!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 8:20 AM

DL-Your profile says putting is killing you. That would be that Spider's doing, not so much yours. Give the accurate ones a try, you might be surprised. They won't help you get to those 2 holes but it will make getting off a little easier. GL.

• Villun
    20 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 8:30 AM

Not a big fan of any of the "new" stuff (opens - tweeks).  I'm not quitting - or trying to complain (TOO MUCH) - but the adjustments that WGT have made are seemingly TOO SEVERE for me.  I have seen my average rise to above 71 for the first time since early in the year, and I am not enjoying this as much as before.  Very FRUSTRATING.  

Let me go back to being "pro" where I can enjoy myself and this game again.

• DL3Fan
    6 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 9:02 AM

YankeeJim:

DL-Your profile says putting is killing you. That would be that Spider's doing, not so much yours. Give the accurate ones a try, you might be surprised. They won't help you get to those 2 holes but it will make getting off a little easier. GL.

Thanks for the advice! Hopefully the new putter will get me through Oakmont.......

• borntobesting
    9,632 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 9:10 AM

Cliff627:

It is a very tough test. but exactly as is is in real life....hardly, Some of the best golfers in the world have played on that course and I can say for sure that NONE of them have ever shot a sub 60 there. The master level players are very good and Iam not taking anything away from there skill. However, I would like to see WGT make seperate flights for Masters and Pros. Granted I do understand they cant offer the same payouts. leave the great prizes for the masters and maybe some credits for the winners of the pro flight.

The normal tourneys are tiered or flighted . But These are the virtual US and Virtual British Open. They are NOT flighted in real life and if WGT did use it's normal tier system for them it might not go over very well with the USGA or R&A. Remember these tourneys are a joint venture with WGT USGA and R&A.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 9:39 AM

TheZiggy:

It's largely about practice and experience. One of my best rounds, a 68 could have been, and should have been so much better. During the round I dropped in 8 birdies. Unfortunately I made 6 very stupid mistakes, to drop 6 shots. One of the worst being a very simple putt for birdie from 3 feet, which I totally mistimed, and ended up 3 putting for the most infuriatingly stupid bogey. Most of the other 5 bogey's were pretty stupid as well. What it shows is, that I don't yet have the right level of focus to shoot a really low score, but have proved to my satisfaction that the really good scores have nothing to do with cheating. I'd never doubted it, though did always wonder what it took to achieve those scores. I just need more practice and better focus to stop making silly unnecessary errors, and I should easily beat the 68 I have currently posted.

Ziggy, consider that the meter runs at varying speeds and not always smoothly and you can see how you "mistimed" those putts. Now if the meter ran smooth every time THEN the problem would be mistiming rather that erratic metering.

I know that the meter is "supposed" to run at a constant speed depending on what clubs and ball the player uses, but it doesn't.

That is the problem. With super fast greens even the tiniest miss on the meter becomes a major miss of the hole. Hit the ball just hard enough to reach past the hole and when you miss the hole the ball rolls 3, 4, 5, or even 15 feet downhill. Then half the time the next putt is downhill too? Something's wrong here.

Can everyone honestly say that the meter runs at a constant speed on every one of their putts?

• TarheelsRule
    5,492 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 3:08 PM

It amazes me that players who have been on this site for a month complain that they can't break 90 or 80 or 70.  Do you think that playing in real life would allow you to improve from 125 to 70 in less than a week.  I realize that may folks have played other video or computer golf games and start with a fairly high skill level, however as in real golf, it isn't so hard to break 100 or to break 90 or even 80 but from 79 to 70 is very difficult.  In WGT getting from 66 as a master down to 60 took a lot of work.  After you get down to 60, then you realize that your scoring average means nothing and you play for the fun of it, my average has moved back to the mid 60's, mainly due to Oakmont and the new St Andrews but I don't mind, I enjoy the challenge.

The part of the Oakmont and St Andrews challenge that people don't like is the precision that is required.  Miss the hole on #1 a little long and you go 50 feet by the hole, miss left on #3 and you are off the green.  Back in 1999 when the US Open was at Pinehurst, the conditions were similar, miss 5 feet left or right of the hole and you are off the green or 50 feet by the hole, such is the set up for an Open.  You play the course a few times and realize that you can't miss there and play to the safe side of the green, take a par and go on.

• hesomist
    62 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 3:21 PM

TarheelsRule:

It amazes me that players who have been on this site for a month complain that they can't break 90 or 80 or 70.  Do you think that playing in real life would allow you to improve from 125 to 70 in less than a week.  I realize that may folks have played other video or computer golf games and start with a fairly high skill level, however as in real golf, it isn't so hard to break 100 or to break 90 or even 80 but from 79 to 70 is very difficult.  In WGT getting from 66 as a master down to 60 took a lot of work.  After you get down to 60, then you realize that your scoring average means nothing and you play for the fun of it, my average has moved back to the mid 60's, mainly due to Oakmont and the new St Andrews but I don't mind, I enjoy the challenge.

The part of the Oakmont and St Andrews challenge that people don't like is the precision that is required.  Miss the hole on #1 a little long and you go 50 feet by the hole, miss left on #3 and you are off the green.  Back in 1999 when the US Open was at Pinehurst, the conditions were similar, miss 5 feet left or right of the hole and you are off the green or 50 feet by the hole, such is the set up for an Open.  You play the course a few times and realize that you can't miss there and play to the safe side of the green, take a par and go on.

Well said, Tarheels.

RSS