Forums

Help › Forums

New Opens ridiculous

Sat, Jul 3 2010 5:56 PM (134 replies)
  • rainman692
    54 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 2:53 AM

These tournaments are the virtual equivalent of  the US Open and the Open, two of the toughest golf competitions on earth, that are played by only the best golfers in the world. The courses are setup in super difficult conditions because that's how  you can find out who the best of the best is. The average golfer, or even a good golfer, would feel VERY frustrated playing in the US open...and the same here, WGT has done a super job with these competitions, I wish all of them were setup like that.

The key, like in real golf above a certain level, is to UNDERSTAND the course: to know when to be aggressive and when to be conservative, when to be happy with a par, which side of the green to aim, which areas are to be avoided at all costs, how to work the ball (because there is no shot shaping yet, but you can still reach a similar result by hitting early or late), and so on. Most times it's better to putt 15' uphill  rather than 6' side or downhill. After a serious round at Oakmont I feel mentally exhausted, I can only imagine what it takes to play a sub-par round in real life in the same conditions and under heavy pressure.

I am in the cut with a -3 (5 birdies and 2 bogeys: it's not difficult  to birdie 5 holes, it's hard to make the other 13 pars... ), so I'm not pressed (so far) to qualify, but I will spend the rest of the time trying to figure out the safest way to par the holes that are too difficult or too dangerous to try and birdie.

I believe WGT is going to setup the course with higher winds and even faster greens for the final 36 (!) holes, so IMO we haven't seen Oakmont  and St.Andrews at their best yet...those two rounds are going to be nerve wrecking to say the least, and definetely not for the faint hearted...and for sure we won't see -10/-10 scores, I'm positive even the top players will be happy to walk away with a -4/-4

Good luck to everyone (especially to me, lol !!!)

• TDHarvey
    433 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 6:09 AM

I love it when people come on and tell someone to play 1500+ ranked rounds when they only have 850 themselves. As for cheating, I dont really care if any one is using cheats or not, but people that claim no one is....well you are kidding yourself. Cheating exists and to pretend it doesnt, is silly. Im here because I like the game. I get frustrated when I cant qualify but hey thats the breaks. Enjoy the game. Find some good to people to play your rounds with and you will get a lot more out of the site. If your goals are to win or qualify for the Opens, well i dont really know what to say except practice and pray. Lets be real here there are what maybe 20 people (if that) who have a realistic chance to win those tournaments, so you may as well quit worrying about it and reevaulate what you are here for. Im not slamming, newbies, cheats, the top players, or anyone else just putting my take on the topic out there. Good luck all, hit em straight.

• hesomist
    62 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 6:36 AM

I would say I'm a player who shoots consistently well on all courses.  (Of course I have my bad days.)  It took me a few days to get used to Oakmont, but yesterday I shot back to back 64s and could have been a couple of strokes lower.  On a third round was -6 through 12 but blew up on #13 with a bad tee shot.  And I'm currently sitting T-5 in the Open qualifier with a 61.

I've always played on feel.  No cheating, no macros, no tape or program over the meter, don't look at avatar movements for distance control.  I've learned the courses and my equipment to make the best of each round.  I'm sure many other of the top players are the same.  So please don't start throwing out all this cheating talk saying it's fishy for the scores to be so low.  I can also vouch for TheLighterDark.  No cheating there.

Just play and learn, folks.

• IvaThongon
    933 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 8:00 AM

XxGambitxX:

Totally agree with you Ace.

Look at it this way how many people that we do not consider Super Masters like Tiger and Phil and so on actually qualify for US Open or British Open? I unfortunately am not one of the Super Masters here but I think I am getting better. There's always next year lol. Right now I am lucky if I can actually just find someone to play.

X - what am I, chopped liver? I love playing with you.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 10:53 AM

TDHarvey:
    I love it when people come on and tell someone to play 1500+ ranked rounds when they only have 850 themselves.
    TDHarvey, if your gonna' quote someone, atleast get  facts right...I said Stroke and Match combined ; did I not? Add this to your calculations and ya' might actually get the drift...

MATCHPLAY
    THEACEFACTOR
    VS. Hack 1 - 0
    VS. Amateur 4 - 0
    VS. Pro 312 - 55
    VS. Master 329 - 138

• TDHarvey
    433 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 12:05 PM

Ace, you are correct. I was wrong. I read your post wrong. I meant the statement in general but admit that I made it after reading your post. However it doesn't matter if you have 1500+ rounds, 650, or 174 to believe that cheating doesn't exist is crazy. No one was personally calling you a cheater and I'm sure by looking at your stats you have earned your ranking. The person you disagreed with probably does need more time and will hopefully gain the experience necessary to allow his opinion to some day matter in the exalted eyes of such a fine wgt player as yourself.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 12:45 PM

Let me make this real clear...it's not about me or my #'s ;  When Bollox , Lee , Nivlac ,ncviz , infinito , Pricehcs, and  others Speak , I listen. When a rookie comes out here and tell's the people that has  worked they're butt';s off that they can't go low unassisted ,  then they need to get they're S#@T straight.                                                                                                                                                                                                      "Ace"

• TDHarvey
    433 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 3:26 PM

OK so you listen to your friends and the top players. That is admirable. However, the person is still entitled to their opinion. Your entitled to yours also, so i guess that is a never ending debate of you expressing your opinion and me stating that he/she can express his/hers.

• youareintrouble
    103 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 3:46 PM

Directly from the WGT FAQ's

What are the possible green speeds?

Very Slow
    Slow
    Standard
    Fast
    Very Fast
    Tournament
    Championship

We haven't even seen the fastest green speeds yet!        From another poster

Thank you.  All the talk aboot tournament green speed, yall been takin by suprise. Well here you go....I seen that myself at Day 1.  Was wondering when i come across this. Another 1 still on the way, WHEW. 

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 8:20 PM

@TDH

No one is saying you cant have your say, or state an opinion - quite the opposite. However if you are going to express an opinion then please try and get your facts right.

Too many people on here, just shot from the hip without thinking, without any facts or stats to back up their claims. Its just all to easy to do that - and really pee's me off!!

Have your say, state an opinion - but please try and build in some factual information to back  it up.

Cheers

Doug

RSS