Forums

Help › Forums

New Opens ridiculous

Sat, Jul 3 2010 5:56 PM (134 replies)
  • danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Mon, Jun 7 2010 5:39 PM

Akkid,

When Bethpage opened for the US Open last year. All we had was starter clubs, and you couldn't reach the fairways from the black tees on that course either, yet with starter clubs, remarkable scores were shot.

Be glad there are people that are willing to purchase clubs and balls to help make this site profitable. Without an income, the powers that be would be doing something else, and no more WGT. Pony up, spend a few dollars and buy some clubs and balls. It will only help us out by funding new courses and having the money to pay the programers. I have the good balls and clubs but cant do any better than 70 on Oakmont. Once the Open is over you will be able to play on the appropriate tees for you skill level.

Oh yes  Its a very tough test on WGT. Exactly as it is in real life. Oakmont is one of the most difficult courses in the world.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Jun 7 2010 9:04 PM

Directly from the WGT FAQ's

What are the possible green speeds?

Very Slow
    Slow
    Standard
    Fast
    Very Fast
    Tournament
    Championship

We haven't even seen the fastest green speeds yet!

• greatwhitedale
    305 Posts
    Mon, Jun 7 2010 9:29 PM

the issue i have about these 2 tough qualifiers, is not the hardness, but the scores posted, there has to be somethin fishy here there shooting 61 and 62's on a course 10 x harder than the other 3 we play, but there shooting only similar scores,  hmmmmm  why do people always have to spoil online games by cheating and using a cheat site which is readily available, what a waste of time and how boring if ya cant play unassisted.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Mon, Jun 7 2010 9:35 PM

Hi All,

I agree 100% with TarheelsRule comment - 06_07_2010.

They have to change something up, to try and protect the scoring as much as they can. In the case of both Opens, they've increased the green speeds, and pushed the tees back. That was going to happen. They need to keep the scores as realistic as they can. all things considered.

I even posted a couple of forum posts a while back, in response to people saying St Andy's was to easy. My comment - enjoy it while you can, because once the tees go back then the course will play a whole lot more difficult. Now everyones complaining its to hard lol

Personally I dont have a problem with it at all. 

Lets face it guys - all it is, is PRACTICE. After my first round at Oakmont, and having the same putting problems everyone else had I made some changes. On my next round at St Andys those changes made a big difference and I 3 putted only once. Hey - I'm not saying they are easy, far from it. But they are certainly not unplayable.

Like Tar - I just love the challenge. If I qualify - great. If I dont - life goes on, and I'll keep playing just to improve my game and maybe next year I'll do better.

Its just practice - Just my opinion.

Cheers

Doug

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Mon, Jun 7 2010 10:10 PM

greatwhitedale:
    why do people always have to spoil online games by cheating and using a cheat site which is readily available, what a waste of time and how boring if ya cant play unassisted.
    Absolute non-sense...Strokeplay and Matchplay combined sir , you've posted 174 rounds. When you post about 1,500 more I might actually try to consider your point ; but as for now, I don't see one. Every time a Rookie comes on this forum and says that a 60 is accomplished from a cheat code is like a slap across my damn face and many , many others i'm sure....do the work , put the time in and stop crying for God's sake.

• jgraham7897
    27 Posts
    Mon, Jun 7 2010 11:51 PM

As one of the rookies around I thought I would put my two cents in.  I just played Oakmont.  I have never played a more frustrating round of golf since...well since the last time I really played golf.  I posted a 93 and every bogie and double bogie I shot there was a mistake made on my part.  If you have been playing this game long enough then there is not reason you should not be posting the scores that people are crying about.  I say kudos to WGT for making one to the most realistic games I have ever played.

• rustan
    66 Posts
    Mon, Jun 7 2010 11:55 PM

They can stick it where the sun dont shine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

• wendt100
    1 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 1:31 AM

It amazes me how a 3 mph wind can veer your perfect shot 20 to 25 yards.  A 3 mph wind will barely move leaves on a tree and sure as hell wont move a straight well hit ball at all. 

• patricp
    52 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 2:26 AM

Opens are not supposed to be fair tests.  They are supposed to make you cuss, throw things, slap puppies, and consider committing hari kari on the 17th green.  The Open set-up for SA & Oak are I think right on.  Now, for the life of me I don't have a snowball's chance in Hades to qualify, but I am still going to try.

If you can't take the stimp speed, stay off the greens.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Tue, Jun 8 2010 5:12 AM

@ Ace

With you on that one Ace.Couldnt have put it any better myself.

Cheers

Doug

RSS