Forums

Help › Forums

New Opens ridiculous

Sat, Jul 3 2010 5:56 PM (134 replies)
  • TarheelsRule
    5,477 Posts
    Mon, Jun 7 2010 2:31 PM

I can't agree with you about the green speed.  Granted that the green speed on Oakmont on WGT is extremely fast but part of that is necessary to keep the scores from being even lower, the same reason the USGA speeds the greens up to levels not seen on the tour during the year.  I have played several courses on which a USGA championship has been held recently.    One of those courses was at Winged Foot and I can assure you that the green speed was at fast as Oakmont appears on this game, a 5 foot uphill putt would roll 7 feet.  I don't think the cut line for the real US Open, which will be at Pebble Beach will be 4 under for 2 rounds, the USGA loves to protect par and they can do that off the tee as well as on the greens.  The rough there will be very difficult and even the pros can't hit it as straight as we can on WGT.  I enjoy the challenge of the Open and US Open on WGT.

• pluer
    142 Posts
    Mon, Jun 7 2010 2:36 PM

cmon everybody, finally a bit chalenge and everybody is *complainin, spend the 50 dollars - wgt deserved it(thousands of hours hard work). If ur lucky, maybe u win few tournies like Pluer and u will never ever have to top up to buy balls(and gifts) ! Oakmont is gr8, tournament tees are mad - especialy the 40ftputts10inch down lol, but it started to be a bit boring - most of the masters will agree... have fun

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Jun 7 2010 3:02 PM

TarheelsRule:
    I don't think the cut line for the real US Open, which will be at Pebble Beach will be 4 under for 2 rounds, the USGA loves to protect par and they can do that off the tee as well as on the greens.

Yes, they have been busy little beavers at Pebble. Screwing up the course to insure that Tiger doesn't repeat the gunslinging bloodbath he brought forth in 2000.

• TarheelsRule
    5,477 Posts
    Mon, Jun 7 2010 3:05 PM

I can't recall the cut line last time but I know that Tiger won by over 15 strokes or something like that.  Based upon his current game and especially his driving, I think he will have trouble making the cut.  USGA rough is difficult and you can't get by hitting 40% of the fairways and trying to make par from there.

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Mon, Jun 7 2010 3:07 PM

SweetiePie:
    Yes, they have been busy little beavers at Pebble. Screwing up the course to insure that Tiger doesn't repeat the gunslinging bloodbath he brought forth in 2000.

Do you think he can SP ?For the record i don`t believe tiger will ever be the same or even close for that matter. But hey I've been wrong before.

CSC

• Showtime29
    70 Posts
    Mon, Jun 7 2010 3:14 PM

I dont think the course is unrealistic at all, as a matter of fact I think that WGT actually nailed the Oakmont setup to rival what it would be like under intense US Open conditions.

The main fundmamental difference is the ability to work the ball left to right.  The greens are so fast and with undulations galore, so not being able to work the ball against the slope is the biggest reason I see in not being able to hit and hold greens.  That is probably worth at least 2-3 strokes for the field, and considering there is a pool of thousands players here Vs a couple hundred, its not horrible to think the cut would be a couple strokes less.

I also think that many people here underestimate what it actually takes to be "great" at this game. I am a master, but NO WHERE close to the top players, and I know it is due to the amount of time I spend studying what it is that I am actually doing wrong when I play. I dont think being able to drive the ball more than 250+ is a deal breaker here because when it really comes down to it, it is up to who is going to get up and down from 40 yards in and who can make the tough breaking 5-8 footers. Playing Bethpage last year I thought the same thing, but eventually I realized that course management was a bigger factor than just distance and spin.

• akkid
    61 Posts
    Mon, Jun 7 2010 4:08 PM

Yes, and the fact is Bethpage was a lot more managable than oakmont. at least at bethpage you can drive basically all the fairways w/ normal clubs, but on oakmont & st andrews you can drive 60/70%. How can you shoot in the 70's with normal clubs if you cant reach the fairway?

• bserowinski
    15 Posts
    Mon, Jun 7 2010 5:16 PM

akkid, I think you are comparing apples and oranges.  Oakmont and St Andrews are under tournament  conditions right now.  When the tees are moved back to regular areas and the greens are down to "fast" the stroke numbers will go down, and a 70 will become doable at both courses.  

• blackbeard
    288 Posts
    Mon, Jun 7 2010 5:21 PM

Vent time.

As if the qualifiers aren't hard enough, I was  - 4  after 13 holes on the SA Qualifier, and then the meter decides it's going to screw me. Cue bogey, double bogey, bogey, double bogey, par. Not just the odd blip, but every shot, every loading screen, every damn excruciating second. I am not a happy camper right now.

Sometimes it's hard to keep the faith with this game.

• akkid
    61 Posts
    Mon, Jun 7 2010 5:28 PM

but what about those who compete in the qualifiers with normal clubs? i got in 208th place ( not good i know) at bethpage last year & i hadnt been with wgt for a month. now ive been here for a yr. and i cant shoot 85 at oakmont

RSS