Forums

Help › Forums

Legend tier

Thu, Apr 29 2010 4:16 PM (56 replies)
  • Iamcdn
    25 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 8:55 AM

Indeed they do SP.  I don't care about the sandbaggers or people that quit have way through, they only hurt themselves.  I play this game alot when I have the time to play.  I believe I play a great game and shoot in the mid sixties.  I have played in over 300 Ready-Go tournaments and like "Ivietri" and I am sure others have paid for these with dollars.  I have spent money on upgrading my clubs and golf balls.  I would just like to see some sort of hope for us Masters who shoot the 4, 5 or even a sometimes 6 under par to actually win a tournament.  I mean come on "WGT" have a look.  I enter the weekly tournaments and shoot my regular 4 or 5 and even sometimes an 8 under par only to be blown away by "you know who" at a mere 12, 13 and yes even 18 under par.  Like I have said I applaud them.  But come on, these elite are cleaning up in the Ready-Go's and then they have to take the credits from the weekly ones.  It is a good thing I am employed...lol.  I play this game for the enjoyment of it.  I have spent enough dollars, right now I just try to make 65 credits so I can purchase a set of white Tour SD golf balls.  I usually can achieve this...lol.  

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 9:18 AM

While just about any tier/competition level gets shot down by the sandbagging possibilities what if an actual handicap where in use. Yes, this would really give the sandbaggers more opportunity but not if the handicap was RG based.

Establish handicaps based on RG performance and then apply it accordingly to the scores. I'd leave tournament play out of the equation because you could manipulate the hdcp through them to score in the RGs.

• Script
    621 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 9:44 AM
    Residing in a state that disallows RG play certainly keeps me solvent... I guess the PGA should do something about the top tier players since they win most of the money? We pretty well know a tour pro can't influence his game by physically 'gaming' it but here on the virtual (real?) level it probably can be done. The real gamers are not in the master tier....no benefit to that...what good is master if you can only score your average occasionally and bail out whenever it might go up? I am not of the mind that the best players here game the system. If I could play every hole the way I play the ones I birdie now I could be one of the 'elites'...but couldn't we all? This is such a great, inexpensive form of entertainment I'd sure like WGT to devote their time and energy to expanding the course selection and cleaning up some of the functional issues with meter and loading lags. Adding a tier for the handful of exceptional players could be a never ending cycle. Maybe just weight the winnings to spread them over a larger number. The pros generally play against less than 100 others...we are competing against thousands... Just my 2 credits...
  • marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 10:00 AM

lvietri:

Just one thing to keep in mind .. Earnings doesn't tell the whole story.   For example I have career earnings of 796 dollars ... 770 of them in ready go tournaments where I spent 720 to enter the tournaments.   I'm sure this could happen in the pro tier also ... so for those of you who would suggest earnings are a key indicator of someone's game ...  NET earnings - I would say yes .. GROSS earnings I would have to say no.

I've already addressed this issue.

IF WGT is going to go by "earnings", then they should go by NET CREDITS won (so, if you enter a RG and win 200cr, only 100cr would be counted).

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/11065/71811.aspx#71811

marioh:

I think net credits earned would be a good criteria for automatic leveling up to Master.

One, it shows the player is good enough to win credits consistently in either MPC, RG's, or the weekly/monthly credit payout tournys.  Two, since it's not based on "career earnings", players who win the random prizes don't get bumped up due to the prize value.   And three, this basically kills sandbagging for credits.

This would address your concerns, and also prevent people who win the random drawings from being put into a higher tier due to that random drawing winnings.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 10:06 AM

marioh:
    One, it shows the player is good enough to win credits consistently in either MPC, RG's, or the weekly/monthly credit payout tournys

How would you include players that can't play RGs?

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 10:13 AM

Iamcdn:

I would just like to see some sort of hope for us Masters who shoot the 4, 5 or even a sometimes 6 under par to actually win a tournament.  I mean come on "WGT" have a look.  I enter the weekly tournaments and shoot my regular 4 or 5 and even sometimes an 8 under par only to be blown away by "you know who" at a mere 12, 13 and yes even 18 under par.  Like I have said I applaud them.  But come on, these elite are cleaning up in the Ready-Go's and then they have to take the credits from the weekly ones.  It is a good thing I am employed...lol.  I play this game for the enjoyment of it.  I have spent enough dollars, right now I just try to make 65 credits so I can purchase a set of white Tour SD golf balls.  I usually can achieve this...lol.  

If you're shooting consistently -4 or -5 in the 9 hole RG's, you WILL win credits regularly (with perhaps an exception for Kiawah B9 under it's current RG conditions).

If you look at my RG scores, you'll see I'm averaging around -4 per 9 hole RG that I participate in (and I complete every single RG round, no withdraws), and I haven't had to worry about credits since the RG's came out and I invested 100 of the 150 credits I had at that time into my first one.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 10:17 AM

YankeeJim:

marioh:
    One, it shows the player is good enough to win credits consistently in either MPC, RG's, or the weekly/monthly credit payout tournys

How would you include players that can't play RGs?

This idea is to stop sandbagging for credits.  This applies to Net credits earned, so that would be net credits earned through free tourny winnings, match play challenges, and RG's.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 11:13 AM

lvietri:

:) .. I'm glad you can laugh SP .. here's the best.  720 RG's at 3 18 hole rounds per ball and I'm actually in the hole 10 bucks .... but i'm hooked on RG's.    Maybe If i didn't have such expensive balls it would work out better.   Oh well --- It's a curse !!!

Yes, I love it...to laugh. Your humor always provides it Lou, and I thank you! You may well be as nutty as I am. It all about perspective. Keep them coming!

• RUSTY40
    255 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 11:26 AM
    If the issue is a new tier and avoiding sandbagging then I believe the best solution is to incorporate USGA handicap rules in a new tier. Some tweaks to this can include such things as minimum number of rounds played under this new tier to qualify for certain tounaments. But the key to the accuracy of this tiers ranking has to be completed rounds recorded under USGA handicap rules. No cherry picking better rounds. If you want to be in this tier finish what you start or the rule will finish it for you. 4-1. Unfinished Holes and Conceded Strokes A player who starts, but does not complete a hole or is conceded a stroke must record for handicap purposes the most likely score. The most likely score may not exceed the player's Equitable Stroke Control limit, defined in Section 4-3. This most likely score should be preceded by an "X." (See Decision 4-1/1.) There is no limit to the number of unfinished holes a player may have in a round, provided that failure to finish is not for the purpose of handicap manipulation. 4-2. Holes Not Played or Not Played Under The Rules of Golf If a player does not play a hole or plays it other than under "The Rules of Golf" (except for preferred lies), the score recorded for that hole for handicap purposes must be par plus any handicap strokes the player is entitled to receive on that hole. This hole score, when recorded, should be preceded by an "X."
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 12:01 PM

This could work, Rusty. Some sort of Q School. Say each week there were x number of single play qualifying rounds you had to complete to maintain a hdcp. These rounds had to be finished . Quitting that particular game would be like withdrawing from a tournament. Something along those lines sounds intriguing.

RSS