Forums

Help › Forums

Legend tier

Thu, Apr 29 2010 4:16 PM (56 replies)
  • marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Apr 27 2010 12:43 PM

I just don't want to be arbitrarily stuck into the new tier when it's released, much the same way I jumped directly from Amateur to Master tier after the release of the Pro and Master tiers.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Apr 27 2010 1:23 PM

I'm going to reiterate what donsprintr suggested.

Player tiers:

Master = the new tier for the e-lite players

Pro = The current master tier

Semi-pro = The current amateur tier

Amateur = The current hack tier

This tier system has a realistic feel to it. After-all, the goal at WGT is to be as realistic as possible, right? I'd like to see a qualifying round implemented in some way too.

I like YJ's response as well. There has to be a way for someone to earn their way into these tiers, and not through sandbagging. Will the playing conditions remain the same for all the tiers? What averages will one have to have to advance tiers? In any event, It's going to be very interesting to see how it all gets implemented.  :)

• ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Tue, Apr 27 2010 1:32 PM

Great suggestions everyone.  As I don't compete, none of this really applies to me, but I like the idea.  Whatever happens please make sure that you cannot be elevated into this next tier by shooting an ultra low score just once or twice.  I think most Masters here are probably capable of shooting a sub-30 round.  It should require a whole hell of a lot more than just that single feat, executed a handfull of times.  

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Tue, Apr 27 2010 3:30 PM

marioh:

The criteria should be

a) lower average than I currently have or ever had

b) if by earnings, at least $200 more than what I currently have

Earnings should DEFINITELY be included because: 

YankeeJim:

What if that ultimate tier was created for those very serious, very good players that wanted to be set apart based on their abilities?  Something you had to earn and play up to? The sandbagging thing kinda kills a lot of good ideas for tiers but creating one where it was an earned effort reward might be kind of cool. Just a thought.

It will help to diminish sandbagging. 

--------------------------------------

Something between a combination of the average or so many low scores out of a 30 game cycle AND how much earnings were pulled in a 3 month time frame or 30 game cycle again.

The only stickler here is when someone is in a non-competing state or country their earnings would have to calculated differently BUT earnings is the way to screw up the sandbagging for the most part as currently someone sandbagging their average to stay Pro for example BUT makes 3000 credits in a month (just throwing numbers around here) should be kicked into the Master tier.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Apr 27 2010 5:56 PM

jayjonbeach:
    earnings is the way to screw up the sandbagging for the most part as currently someone sandbagging their average to stay Pro

Great suggestion Jay. That would definitely take care of sandbagging.

-------------------------

There's been a lot of great ideas in the last few weeks that addresses the quitting issue, and the sandbagging issue. There gonna get pimped so bad, and I can't wait.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Tue, Apr 27 2010 6:21 PM

Just one thing to keep in mind .. Earnings doesn't tell the whole story.   For example I have career earnings of 796 dollars ... 770 of them in ready go tournaments where I spent 720 to enter the tournaments.   I'm sure this could happen in the pro tier also ... so for those of you who would suggest earnings are a key indicator of someone's game ...  NET earnings - I would say yes .. GROSS earnings I would have to say no.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Apr 27 2010 6:56 PM

LMAO!! Gotta love it! Fact of live. Earning those dollars can cost a fortune.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Apr 27 2010 7:39 PM

lvietri:
    for those of you who would suggest earnings are a key indicator of someone's game ...  NET earnings - I would say yes .. GROSS earnings I would have to say no

That's a good observation. The idea would definitely have to be implemented from net earnings.

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Tue, Apr 27 2010 7:40 PM

:) .. I'm glad you can laugh SP .. here's the best.  720 RG's at 3 18 hole rounds per ball and I'm actually in the hole 10 bucks .... but i'm hooked on RG's.    Maybe If i didn't have such expensive balls it would work out better.   Oh well --- It's a curse !!!

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Tue, Apr 27 2010 8:11 PM

Yes that is a very good point indeed about the net not the gross.  I think placement in tournaments should count as well, like someone that is always in the top 30 for example is obviously excelling in their tier regardless of their average.

Hopefully WGT is onto this because this kills a couple birds with the same stone, new tier makes tournaments and the site more competitive in general, and sandbagging can be taken care of at the same time.  Really the earnings should apply to the Elite/Legend tier AND the Master tier so that the people in the Pro tier can properly compete.

RSS