Forums

Help › Forums

What Happened to the 2 Big Monthly's!?

Thu, Feb 10 2022 4:34 PM (205 replies)
  • WGTNico
    622 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2022 9:56 AM

I agree all things changed in the game should be added into the updates/news, I know many games announce some tentative ideas before things are finalized to get player reactions which is something we can possibly bring here into the forums in the future. I think a large majority of WGT players want more transparency from us and I would love to bring that (hopefully I've been doing a decent enough job so far). 

Now the thing about the PMs vs. open threads was poor wording on my part and I see how it was taken negatively for that I apologize. There is no need for secrecy, and I even said I enjoyed reading a lot of the things brought up in this thread and many others since I've started here a month ago. I have pages of notes from things/ideas from you all that I've seen in the forums. I also have some from PMs as well. ALL relevant/good/or even fun ideas get relayed to others within WGT on a very regular basis.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2022 11:26 AM

Thanks very much Nico, a very patient and reasonable reply to my ramblings :-)

WGTNico:
    Now the thing about the PMs vs. open threads was poor wording on my part and I see how it was taken negatively for that I apologize.

Fair enough, and anyway it was probably only taken that way by myself and  the three other paranoid conspiracy theorists that are in the forum.

As far as I have seen you are doing a very good job so far and communication between the players and wgt (you) has improved massively. I better go and start writing on why uel (uneven lie) should be back, it'll be long but I've given you a start :-)

I think there were a few ways you could have taken my post, I'm glad you took it as I meant it.  Thanks again.

Ps the long rambling bit, that's always there with me, is on your wall where you can delete it.

• MioKontic
    4,601 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2022 11:27 AM

Having read this whole thread, I only see support from other Cobra Kai members - funny that  :)

I would like to add my support to the change too.  This game isn't just about a handful of players, nor is it about any one CC, it is here for everyone, and as has been said, it is the lesser players who actually keep WGT going as they are the ones who put money into it; it is highly unlikley the top players pay a single cent into the game.  And xAmazingTrace - if you have 10,000 credits to put up for one game (which I'm sure you have as you will read further down), then you obviously don't pay any real money into it either, and calling yourself a 'mediocre player' was maybe just a little white lie  :)

xAmazingTrace:

Ever since I started playing competitively in 2020, I made it my goal to cash in the 2 big monthly's. The Tier Open and the Monthly Multi Round.

Why is it so important to cash in these two?  You said in a later post that you love this game, but it seems that might have been a little white lie too, it is clear that all you want is to win a huge amount of credits.  And in the 3 and half days of this month so far you have already won nearly 9000 credits, and in 2022 just under 27,000.  That is more than just a 'mediocre player'.

You and your clubmates say you all gift equipment to others in your CC; my question is, why would that be of any interest to WGT?  If anything, I would suggest it's exactly what they don't want, they want those players to be paying real money for their equipment becuase you top players sure as hell aren't!

You still have your big tournaments - your eTour, and whatever other tournaments there are; I don't know what they are as they don't interest me, but there is definitely more than 1.  Where there is limited prizes only a handful of players will enter, making them losses for WGT.  Imagine on average 50 people (there were 39 in one and 87 in the other in January at TL tier) entering one of those monthly high-payout tournaments (the cost being credit-entry and ball hits) with only 3 prizes on offer, compared to probably 300+ players entering where there are 70 prizes - it's a no-brainer!  If entering it now is not worth your time or effort, then simply find something that is!  You can always create such tournaments in your CC, God knows you have enough credits between you all to have a huge credit party!

And just to clarify, the quote from WGTChampion below gives the reason back in 2018 for the payout change, and I suspect it will be the same this time (blame the likes of PrimerLance for it this time I reckon!):

WGTChampion:

Tier Opens will be changing the most. This change is, for most tiers, because the number of people entering does not justify the number of credits awarded to the top 3 players. For the other tiers, this change represents our ongoing efforts to combat players from restarting to win in lower tier tournaments. 

DodgyPutter and Thunderbird - it seems neither of your maths is right.  A ball of 2.5 durability has 120 hits, and this does NOT include putts.  On average in a 9-hole round you will have expended 18 hits, and 36 hits in an 18-hole round.  Using Dodgy's estimate of half the 50 games being 9-hole games and the other half being 18-hole games, that's (25*18) + (25*36) = 450 + 900 = 1350 hits.  Then 1350/120 = 11.25, meaning you will have used 11 and a quarter balls.  To make it easier, I'll round it up to 12, which is 4 sleeves.  Now let's talk in credits, not dollars, because let's face it you (Thunderbird) don't pay a cent towads your balls let alone dollars!  The level 87 Titleist balls cost 975cr, so 4 sleeves would cost 3900cr per week (which would be the equivalent of $39 per week, not $150, or even $43 as Dodgy said).  I'll be generous and say it's a 5-week month, that means 19,500cr per month on ball use.  In January Thunderbird earned 62,083cr, and even taking into account tournament entry fees, I still think he had plenty left over to buy a round of expensive WGT virtual beers for his CK clubmates!

Nico - I have to agree with Dodgy, although the forum is big and you may miss things, a lot of suggestions and gripes are put into the forum to get people's opinions, and it would be so much better if WGT would from time to time add a comment to the forum threads to 1) acknowledge you've seen it, and 2) something later on to say if any action will be taken.

And finally, just an observation, albeit a puzzling observation, but still just an observation, nothing more...
    Although I have seen Karate Kid a couple of times before, it's not a film I've taken great interest in.  So it was only a couple of weeks ago when I saw the last 10 minutes or so that I realised where the name Cobra Kai came from - the team of cheats who would do anything to win, breaking whatever rules they can.  One has to wonder firstly why anyone would want to create a CC with this name seeing as to where it stemmed from, and secondly why anyone with any sense would want to be a member of a CC with a name of such background?  Like I said, just a puzzling observation.  However, if you regard that as mud-slinging and want to throw some back at the name of my CC, the background to it is that there is an online running club in the UK called Lonely Goat Running club, for runners who want the benefits of belonging to the governing body (in this case UK Athletics), but want to stay away from the drama and politics of actual running clubs.  Yeah I know, a real mafia-type background to my CC name  ;)

• ct690911
    7,201 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2022 11:29 AM

@ WGTNico

I think I can speak for many of the players who believe there should have been a Mod doing what you do a long time ago.  A common complaint in the past was that Mods were not reading the forums, thus a lot of complaints, ideas, suggestions, etc. were never on wgt's radar.

I personally think you are doing a great job. You stay on top of the forums and regularly communicate with folks.

cheers,

ct

ps: I wish I could type like MioKontic...lol

• MioKontic
    4,601 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2022 11:36 AM

ct690911:

I wish I could type like MioKontic

Trust me, no you don't, unless you want to be banned for a few years, and would still be if it was up to someone who shall remain nameless!

• TheProeb
    44 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2022 11:39 AM

1) The Top 3: Multi-round and Open events always drew my attention each month. Placing in them is pretty cool and a fun little bump to the credit bank. I don't understand ALL the pushback from the best of the best, but then again I don't finish top 3 most months.

What I do think would have been at least easier to swallow would have been to restructure the event and limit it to something like the top 10 each month. Not as prestigious, but it's not turning it into every other featured tournament.

Or, as I believe someone had suggested earlier, make it a dynamic purse and payout a normal percentage after WGT's cut of what's been collected to the top 3 as it had been before.

2) In future updates and tournament restructurings I would also propose making some higher entry bracket events (500 - 1,000 credit range). This one feels like it would be a potentially easy update.

Additionally, possibly extending it to a field of 32 with the same top 4 payout. Though, not sure how much of a headache that would be from a developer's perspective.

3) Last thought, and a bit of a departure from the tournament proposals, but why not make an additional tier for the Elite TCs? All TCs are not equal (or any tier for that matter). I think most can agree on that. I joined their ranks relatively recently and quickly realized it was going to be tough sledding to win many of the big pool events. I'm not one to sandbag and had made it a goal to reach TC status and I'm sure if there was another tier to try and reach I would be just as persistent.

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2022 12:32 PM

This thread is not a great look for some people, I see a lot of jealousy and egos on full display and the great walls of text...

MioKontic:
    Having read this whole thread, I only see support from other Cobra Kai members - funny that

You either did not read the thread or your just making this up, At least 4 maybe 5 people from other clubs chimed in with support for the OP.  Re-read it if you doubt that...

I actually support the OP (making it 5/6) but didn't bother entering into this mud pit- Until I saw the false assertion above. 

• SamSpayed
    4,910 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2022 12:48 PM

How about this as a simple solution to making the players like JSmithers, thunderbird, MasterHacker74, birchi, MattSutherland, ECC370, TheProeb, and xAmazingTrace happy:

• Add a monthly multi-round, single-play tournament (or 2) to the WGT monthly tournament mix
    • Make the entry fee 2000 credits.  I'm sure those players can all afford it.  Average players might enter as well, if they want to spend that much to see how they measure up with the top players
    • Pay out only the Top 3 or Top 10
    • Pay out 100% of the entry fees.  No credits added by WGT.

Would that work for everyone?

• ct690911
    7,201 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2022 1:22 PM

PureGro1:

This thread is not a great look for some people, I see a lot of jealousy and egos on full display and the great walls of text...

MioKontic:
    Having read this whole thread, I only see support from other Cobra Kai members - funny that

You either did not read the thread or your just making this up, At least 4 maybe 5 people from other clubs chimed in with support for the OP.  Re-read it if you doubt that...

I actually support the OP (making it 5/6) but didn't bother entering into this mud pit- Until I saw the false assertion above. 

I have only 45 friends. I wish they could all get along in the forum...lol

I no longer play, but I still agree with Scott's proposal. It's clear and easy to follow. 

my .02 cents

ct

edit: of my 45 friends, only about 10 post in the forums. oi veh

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, Feb 4 2022 1:30 PM

MioKontic:
    DodgyPutter and Thunderbird - it seems neither of your maths is right.  A ball of 2.5 durability has 120 hits, ..............$39 per week, not $150, or even $43 as Dodgy said).

Lol, most of the rest of what you say I've commented on more than enough but I wanted to defend my arithmetic. What I was trying to show was he exaggerated massively I don't think the difference you show particularly changed that. Anyway it wasn't my arithmetic it was ("A conservative estimate of hits on a ball with a 2.5 durability rating is 113") just me trying to avoid any quibbling on numbers afterwards by using a low number for hits. I failed :-( . 

RSS