Forums

Help › Forums

What Happened to the 2 Big Monthly's!?

Thu, Feb 10 2022 4:34 PM (205 replies)
  • xAmazingTrace
    122 Posts
    Tue, Feb 1 2022 5:19 AM

Ever since I started playing competitively in 2020, I made it my goal to cash in the 2 big monthly's. The Tier Open and the Monthly Multi Round.

The 1st place prize for the Tier Open is now a third of what it was with the buyin remaining at 200cr. So for a Tour Legend like myself the prize went from 10,000 to 3,240!

The 1st place prize for the multi round has been cut by 6 times and the buyin reduced half. This one went from 8,000 to 1,350!

Are they trying to give less incentive to even play this game? I don't usually post in the forums, but I had to come and voice my outrage about this change. It is NOT for the better! Other than just pure profit from credits, I don't know what they are thinking?

• JSmithers
    1,263 Posts
    Tue, Feb 1 2022 6:10 AM

Following

• AdamVerrill
    84 Posts
    Tue, Feb 1 2022 6:34 AM

also following

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Tue, Feb 1 2022 6:48 AM

xAmazingTrace:
    I don't know what they are thinking?

Similar topic to the last time they made cuts to tournaments, you may not get thru all 17 pages, and I won't rationalize or justify their decisions as it won't be the first time I partially disagree with them.  May not give you answers you would like, but it may give some background.  

Fwiw, the changes would not have been so harsh had they not also cut the total purse and changed payout from top 3 to top 70.  Doing both makes it even look harsher.

Link may not work but you should be able to copy it.

www.wgt.com/forums/t/557129.aspx?PageIndex=1

Doubt you get any more clarity from wgt than the previous discussion thread.

• MasterHacker74
    87 Posts
    Tue, Feb 1 2022 6:59 AM

Great post, Ryan.  Let me add a few of my thoughts.

There seems to be a general move to reduce the pool of credits available in prize pools.  While the monthlies are the most obvious example, it is evident in changes to ready-go’s as well (reduced buy-in and prize pools versus a few months ago).

The simple answer I’m sure is correct – with fewer credits available to win, more cash will need to be spent on the game.

I’m not here to tell WGT how to manage their business, but I do want to provide some reasons why this analysis may be flawed.  If this type of trend continues, I think you’ll see:

·         Players playing less – reduced number of rounds to save on ball hits, especially on rounds with low/no payout

·         Reduced incentive to upgrade – I’ve been planning to upgrade to the new 1500 credit / sleeve Titleists, but can no longer justify a 50% premium on my current ball

·         Growth in private cash leagues – top players will increasingly play outside of the WGT ecosystem

·         Overall reduced growth in the game – we already have so few really marquee high-value events to draw in new people to want to play WGT, and now they are being further diluted

I’m all for WGT making money, but I just think there is more opportunity in really trying to grow the user base and giving existing players more incentive to play more, get better, upgrade gear, and win big!

• NrEighteen
    956 Posts
    Tue, Feb 1 2022 7:28 AM

xAmazingTrace:

+1

• SamSpayed
    4,901 Posts
    Tue, Feb 1 2022 10:32 AM

MasterHacker74:
    Growth in private cash leagues – top players will increasingly play outside of the WGT ecosystem

This is already happening.  There was a post last week on one of the Discord servers, allegedly from Young46, about a $30 entry fee bracket.

• JSmithers
    1,263 Posts
    Tue, Feb 1 2022 10:55 AM

SamSpayed:

MasterHacker74:
    Growth in private cash leagues – top players will increasingly play outside of the WGT ecosystem

This is already happening.  There was a post last week on one of the Discord servers, allegedly from Young46, about a $30 entry fee bracket.

When the most exciting thing is playing ready go tourneys to win credits that aren't a "need" then yes this is going to happen.  Coins and credits can be won at any time.  The issue with these 2 big tourneys is that it was HARD to get in the top 3.  Which made the payouts a substantial amount and it was an accomplishment to play well enough to be in the top 3.  Now top 70 just like everything else.  

• BPeterson8256
    2,908 Posts
    Tue, Feb 1 2022 11:11 AM

What Happened to the 2 Big Monthly's!?

In January the Tour Legend Multi-round paid out 18,000 credits to just 3 players with only 3,900 credits worth of entry fees. The Tour Legend Tier Open paid out 27,000 credits to just 3 players with only 17,400 credits worth of entry fees. That is a $237.00 loss, that rewarded only 6 players. 

This has been happening month after month for years. It is incredibly bad business and the change is long over due. And that is just in one tier. 

The Tour Champion tier took in only 12,100 credits while paying out 75,000 credits for a loss of $629.00 that rewarded only 5 different players in those two tournaments. 

Although I am good enough to occasionally get a win in a tournament, I have never played in either of those tournaments, because I knew the chances of me winning more than I lost was very slim. Having read this post and learning of the changes, the first thing I did was enter both of these tournaments for February.

I LOVE THESE CHANGES!  ❤ 

It will take time for many players to see the changes, but the end result should create a much larger field that is way more competitive, and that pays out to the top of the leaderboard as opposed to only 3 players. Kudos to WGT for the change.

I know that there will be a few players (very few in my opinion) that don't like the change, but it made no sense at all for WGT to lose hundreds of dollars a month, while making so few happy. 

• thunderbird
    381 Posts
    Tue, Feb 1 2022 11:55 AM

WGT does not have to spend money to give out WGT credits, so in reality there is no loss of revenue.  There are no cash prizes like there were back in the day.  When you could redeem gift cards to Amazon or get real items.  This would be a loss for WGT.    

Additionally, ball hits account for a large margin of WGT revenue.  For top tier players a round cost with a level 87 ball is around $3 dollars round.  If I play 50 rounds a week that is $150 dollars a week for the balls.  For me to break even for the week I need to win 15000 credits.  I think there should be an opportunity to win at least what you are putting into the game.

I think what MasterHacker (Don) said is probably accurate, you will see the top players really limit what they play. 

The best thing in my opinion we could see is significantly more tournament options.  The introduction of more tiers to give more opportunity for different skill levels to win.  There are many Tour Champions that are not at the same level as the top tour Champions.  Scoring average in tournaments should be how averages are done versus in country club tournaments to lower averages.  This would help everyone to win in their real levels.    

RSS