Forums

Help › Forums

TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER,

Sun, Jan 30 2022 7:24 PM (109 replies)
  • BPeterson8256
    2,908 Posts
    Sun, Jan 23 2022 8:39 AM

PureGro1:

I was not speaking of a player of your caliber and could see that being a great match up.

I knew that. It is why I wrote "I don't think we are that far off in how all of us are looking at this." I think there are hundreds of players like myself and Scott that would have a better chance with single play format. And I don't think you would see an "unworthy" opponent "luck" into a big final. The new faces would most likely come from the pool of hundreds of very good players. Single play doesn't handicap great players, it only makes it to where they only have one chance to get it right.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Sun, Jan 23 2022 9:03 AM

Although a tad verbose at times, these points and counter-points are a refreshing change when the posters have a decent command of the English language. Enjoyable reads.

Keep up the good work lads (and lady..:)

ct

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sun, Jan 23 2022 9:38 AM

HenryKawa:
    Really.   When I first started playing and was a very good player - I would win maybe 10 games in a roll, then because of another persons "F'ING" good luck and my "Bad" luck, I would lose one.  Then I got really good and NO ONE was able to beat me, even the loud mouth Young46 couldn't beat me.  

Well, all of that must have been before 2017, eh?

https://www.wgt.com/forums/p/159367/3010097.aspx#3010097

Of course, reading through the thread, that match appears to be the first time you had a match with Young46. But I suppose your post is still true. Before that match, he couldn't beat you if he never played against you.

GAME PLAYED - GAME OVER:

I would like to congratulate Young46.  He is an excellent player and played a very good game.   For the people who did not watch the live stream, Young46 won the 18 Hole Match Game.   I took the early lead and was 1UP after 4 holes.  Then things started to fall apart.  In the next 11 holes I only managed to win one more hole.   The game lasted 15 holes at which time > It was all over but the crying.   I had nothing to cry about.  I was proud to have lasted 15 holes against such a great player.   Thank you Young46 for giving me the opportunity to play you.  I now bow to the King of WGT.

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Sun, Jan 23 2022 10:50 AM

PureGro1:
    I think you know Brett is not the type player I am speaking of, He has the stats and score history to be right there with the "Big Dawgz".

If you go back and reread my example more carefully, you'll see that in that example I am the little dawg and Brett is the big dawg.  All I'm saying is that when you say "You have ZERO shot of doing it in SP except for the hope you play out of this world (and get lucky) and that others make mistakes", you're incorrect.  Sometimes (in fact, often) the lesser player simply played with more skill.  It was not because they were lucky.

PureGro1:
    I will say it once again, What I never would want to watch is "Paper Champ" that strokes 35-38 on most courses with an occasional 27-30 being matched up with mags or young or etc...in head to head play.

You can say it as many times as you want.  We understood you the first time.  I simply disagree.  

Have a good day, bud.

• Robbo81303
    410 Posts
    Sun, Jan 23 2022 10:56 AM

Hey Vector, you'd like to score more effectively in tournaments?  The answer is simple: become a forum troll!

BPeterson8256:
    the fact is the only way to score worse than a bird or an eagle is to make a mistake

If only.  Apparently after 2000 posts, all the crap the rest of us put up with daily just magically disappear!  No more shots going straight ahead in a 20mph crosswind, no more dinged drives landing upwind of the aimer (or worse....the other day  I had a dinged drive make a 45 degree turn at the apex into the wind and land 40 yards offline), no more putts that fall off a cliff with nary a dot in motion, no more 20mph tailwinds reducing the club distance of every club in the bag, no more 3i punches from 30-40 rough going 70 yards, etc., etc  Once you hit 2000 posts, all this crap is somehow the players fault.

Of course, as I only have 11.5K ranked rounds under my belt (more than double that of any of this thread's respondents), wtf do I know, right?

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Sun, Jan 23 2022 12:21 PM

SamSpayed:
    If you go back and reread my example more carefully, you'll see that in that example I am the little dawg and Brett is the big dawg.  All I'm saying is that when you say "You have ZERO shot of doing it in SP except for the hope you play out of this world (and get lucky) and that others make mistakes", you're incorrect.  Sometimes (in fact, often) the lesser player simply played with more skill.  It was not because they were lucky.

I read it, and a champion who shoots as well as you do and a TC who shoots as well as Brett- are not even close to what my example was-Even Brett recognized that. 

Does skill come and go? How would a lesser player have more skill? My definition of lesser is just that less than. (I think someone less skilled can shoot a better round than their stats say, this doesn't really make them more skillful imo)

Somehow I feel like your taking some of this personally, Maybe you do consider yourself a normal 68 average player, having played a great deal of people I disagree entirely.

SamSpayed:
    We understood you the first time

We...lol 

Is this supposed to infer that I am a lone voice while yours is the voice of We (whoever or whatever We is)? ðŸ™„

So if you disagree with that statement- Can you explain what the draw or fun would be in watching the match I described? 

If you mean players like yourself or Brett than we are talking about two vastly different things (although I think you know this) and I cant see why the Unlimited Play would hold players like yourself or Brett out of these if you really wanted to play them...

Lets try from this angle,

How does Unlimited Play hamper ones ability to make the cut in any tourney? 

• HamdenPro
    2,413 Posts
    Sun, Jan 23 2022 12:35 PM

PureGro1:

We...lol 

Is this supposed to infer that I am a lone voice while yours is the voice of We (whoever or whatever We is)?

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Sun, Jan 23 2022 12:48 PM

HamdenPro:

LOL, That was exactly what popped into my head...

We think that is perfect! 

• HamdenPro
    2,413 Posts
    Sun, Jan 23 2022 1:00 PM

PureGro1:
    LOL, That was exactly what popped into my head..

I was just teasing SamSpayed and meant no harm.

You two are getting way too serious.

For what it's worth, I mostly agree with Mr. Mostly Right. When I set up tournaments in our club, that were unlimited play, the same person would win them all. How? Because he played them over and over and over again to make sure he won.

I eventually made strictly single play, this allowed different players to win. Whoever was "on" that round. Ironically, the unlimited, unlimited player, won very few after that.

So, I for one, prefer single play tournaments.

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Sun, Jan 23 2022 1:03 PM

PureGro1:

SamSpayed:
    We understood you the first time

We...lol 

Is this supposed to infer that I am a lone voice while yours is the voice of We (whoever or whatever We is)? ðŸ™„

No.  The "we" was referring to the readers of this thread.  

Here, let me translate for you:  The readers of this thread understood you the first time you made your point.  

But feel free to state your point once again, in case anyone missed it the first two times 😎

RSS