Forums

Help › Forums

TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER,

Sun, Jan 30 2022 7:24 PM (109 replies)
  • Vector8000
    347 Posts
    Mon, Jan 3 2022 6:38 AM

Hello, I m Vector. I thought long and hard on composing this post. The pro s and con s of doing so. But , I want it off my chest. Being on WGT is a great out for many as we all know. And then there is the competitor playing for money. The tournament s that are made for us to enjoy are great and I enjoy the challenge. But the money tournament s are always Hurricane force wind s . Not to mention mostly won by robot s as I see them . They have the highest level clubs and the highest level balls and a shot calculator and who know s what else. This is  what people that play money tournament s have to face even in the same tier as they may be in . For instance, I play natural golf . No shot calculator . I do us a putter pal and a shot pal and I do have nice club s . But , when I pull up to play a tournament in my tier of Legend. And on my best game with high winds I shoot a 68 on a par 72 course and at the top of the leader board there is always some person that is setting comfortably at 59 or 58. And I say to myself , self . How in sams hell is this possible? So I guess my ultimate question is or statement is it s all to the highest bidder. Those who buy the highest level everything. And frankly I dont find that fair to those who can not afford or obtain those scores. In other word s the only thing the average Joe is going to get out of a ready go or a money tournament is a chance to spend 2 to 10 dollars to play a course. It s frustrating at best because the table is stacked for the hight tech. That s not golf in my book. 400 yard drive s ? I may be the only dude thats been on WGT for year s and feels this way . Then again. Maybe I m not. I dont know where this is all going. All I m saying is . I miss the old format that didnt play like this new format and have all the gadgetry that s available now. Maybe I m just old school and out dated. But , that s my take on what s going on in these tournament s . And I frankly don t care for it. I hope that I havent pissed people off by saying this . But if I did, I did. Just longing for the real experience we once enjoyed. Thank s for listening to my rant. But it is a legit rant from a reasonable player. Good Day.

• HamdenPro
    2,402 Posts
    Mon, Jan 3 2022 10:06 AM

Vector8000:
    that s my take on what s going on in these tournament s . And I frankly don t care for it. I hope that I havent pissed people off by saying this . But if I did, I did. Just longing for the real experience we once enjoyed. Thank s for listening to my rant. But it is a legit rant from a reasonable player

You cannot piss people off for expressing an honest, truthful, heartfelt opinion. I know, because I piss people off all the time and I use high tech gadgetry to do it.

I do feel your anguish. It seems uncanny how low some of the posted scores are and I, for a long time, felt the way you do now. 

The truth is, there really are players that are that good. It is amazing how low some scores have gotten but, if you birdie and eagle every hole, the score is going to be insanely low. I do not believe you can cheat the VEM. True, there are shot calculators and programs, available for free, in these forums, which will calculate distance for you, taking into consideration wind speed and direction. In the end, you still have to hit the spacebar or click the mouse at the right time.

I do agree with your "highest bidders" statement. Having recently upgrade my irons, at a suggestion from a friend, I have been noticing that, when I miss the ding, often times my shots are still dead on. I now account this for the "forgiveness" of the club. My new irons also have better spin and my ball now stops on the green, on long approaches, instead of rolling off the back side. My game has improved but it has come at an expense.

Lately, I, myself, have been playing much better and, but for messing up at the end of rounds, would be posting some low scores, lower than I ever have before.

There is much truth to the opinion that having the best clubs and best balls makes a huge difference in the game. To that extent, the game is one which wins go to the "highest bidder".

Things have changed a little. Now with the attire available with enhancements, with lesser clubs, and a rock ball (starter) you can obtain greater distance, more forgiveness, more spin, more accuracy. The enhancements do not work in tournament play but they do work in showdowns and turf wars.

I have friends that are Champions and Tour Champions. It amazes me how well they play. One thing they all have in common, consistency and great putting. I usually keep up with them for the first 5 or 6 holes. After that, I make stupid mistakes and they stay consistent and accurate. I know they are not using special programs or cheats; they are just that good.

I am nothing special. Nonetheless, there have been a few times where, in the coin rooms, I make a great shot, or drop a long long putt and am accused of using a program or other cheat...which, if you see me play, is a hilarious notion. Unless, of course, my special program is designed for me to lose balls or double bogey holes 8 and 9 when I was 6 under after 7.

I play for fun. I enjoy the tournaments; I never expect to win any.

IMHO, the advantage goes to those who have all the time in the world to play and hone their skills. I would analogize to an amateur golfer, playing in a pro-am thinking that the pro has all the advantage because he has better clubs or balls.  The Pro does nothing but play. When he is not playing, he is studying courses, hitting the gym, the range, the putting green, etc... I believe the same goes here. Serious players use the practice greens and play practice rounds. They have played out of every bunker and chipped and putted from every position. They know every break and every lie. Their course management is 2nd to none. 

I am not jealous, or angered, I marvel at the dedication and have sympathy, that while they are honing their skills, I am out hiking in the mountains and enjoying time with friends and my dogs irl.

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Mon, Jan 3 2022 11:58 AM

HamdenPro:

The truth is, there really are players that are that good.

+1

Vector8000:

59 or 58. And I say to myself , self . How in sams hell is this possible? 

Yes, good equipment makes it easier, but even the best equipment will not help someone who hasn't learned how to use it. The European eTour gives everyone the exact same equipment to use. It is not the best equipment. Still, the same great players post the same great scores, and those who think all they need is better equipment to compete shoot the same lesser scores. 

As much as some players complain that the game is too random, the opposite is true. I am a decent player. I have never mapped clubs. I don't use charts. I use basic math for putting, and use a formula that I came up with on my own. And the fact is the only way to score worse than a bird or an eagle is to make a mistake. 

In real life it is told as a joke, but in this game it is just the truth when someone asks how you can possibly shoot a 51, and you reply "I missed a putt on 7".

The Legend tier and above is loaded with great players. There is always going to be players that play 9 or 18 holes without making a mistake and that is reflected in the leaderboards. The fact that so many players take the time to really learn this game is what makes this game so much fun, just like any real competition. Where would the fun be if it was easy for everyone from day one? 

Enjoy the game however you want to play, whether that's competing or just playing for the pure joy you find in it. Complaining that the grapes you can't reach are sour is more a reflection of the one complaining than it is the game. And if it is still the "highest bidder" problem in your opinion, take the time to earn free credits. Anyone in this country can get the very best equipment without spending a dime of their own money.

Have fun with it

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Mon, Jan 3 2022 12:07 PM

Vector8000:
    For instance, I play natural golf

regardless of how you play - you still have to put in the time to learn how to play the tougher conditions.  Early on, I could foresee that it was heavy winds and faster greens that separated players- most people avoid heavy winds-  they are not as easy and your ego or scoring will suffer a bit - but I chose to play almost ONLY heavy winds - yes I struggled for a long time (nearly a year).

Regardless of your approach to the game, you have to learn how to visualize and adjust for those shots - or find a method or calculation that helps you make those adjustments - but even then  - the best calculation out there - won't teach you how to make the necessary adjustments - based on the style of play you use - whether it is FBS type of shots - playing more or less wind - using a miss ding style or trying to ding the meter, or just winging it and hoping for the best.

There are a variety of ways to approach the game even without "all the gadgets" but it takes time and effort to learn those things - and while you are learning how to do those things - you, as many people do (maybe not all), can daily grind thru 2 credit videos at the 150 limit per day - and eventually build a bankroll to cover the cost of all the clubs upgrades you may need - without spending any money yourself - and possibly even balls - and here is what I discovered - if you invest the time to learn and hone your skills playing heavy winds - earning your promotions doing that - you will more than likely also be able to win credits most likely to cover future cost as well.

Or you can enjoy a more laid back social aspect of club tournaments, AS, and building a network of golf friends on the platform.  

It is NOT necessarily easy - but it can be done - and therein lies the challenge ---

Two roads or cart paths diverge at the beginning of WGT... and well... you might know the rest of the poem...

good luck - and play well - somedays the winds will be in your favor and other days they won't and hopefully they all balance out. 

• HamdenPro
    2,402 Posts
    Mon, Jan 3 2022 12:51 PM

BPeterson8256:

HamdenPro:

The truth is, there really are players that are that good.

+1

Your my first +1 EVER!!!

Thank you.

• mbcarp99
    1,078 Posts
    Mon, Jan 3 2022 1:11 PM

Vector8000:
    I play natural golf . No shot calculator . I do us a putter pal and a shot pal and I do have nice club s

so you don't play natural golf then, you're using shot pal to get the percentage you need to hit, you're cheating all those people who only shoot 72/73's

• Vector8000
    347 Posts
    Tue, Jan 4 2022 5:18 AM

Thank you to you guys that responded and I agree with what you say and understand that this game has gone the way of high tech and I truly know that there are folk s on here that are really good. And yes , I guess I am cheating as well as it was said in one post by using a shot pal and a putter pal. But , That s how I ve felt for a while about certain scores I have  witnessed in astonishment . And wondering how they did that. I guess I am headed to the pro shop and to the practice green and hope to see you all at the top of the leader board one day soon. Thank you sincerely for the replies and perspective. 

Vector

• PureGro1
    1,654 Posts
    Tue, Jan 4 2022 9:09 AM

Vector8000:
    hope to see you all at the top of the leader board one day soon. Thank you sincerely for the replies and perspective. 

Just glancing at your stats- IMO, Your not far off from seeing the top of leader boards. Looks to me like putting is the issue- you can easily pick up 3-5 strokes a game just by getting better at putting.

• Vector8000
    347 Posts
    Wed, Jan 5 2022 6:28 AM

I agree my putting does need some attention! And it does cost me and it seem s mostly at the end of my round s I dont know why but . I will be working on my game and would like to be competitive again at some point Thanks Pure much appreciated.

Vector

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Tue, Jan 18 2022 2:58 PM

I didn’t read the previous comments yet because I didn’t want my reply tainted.

My reply;

Practice Sir

Edit: I should have read the other replies first. Vector you seem genuine so please overlook the abrupt answer. It just takes a lot of practice and hours of grinding to compete at the level of some of the fellas.

Working on getting approaches closer is a good way to instantly improve sinking putts.

RSS