Forums

Help › Forums

Freezing

Wed, Dec 2 2009 2:13 PM (56 replies)
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 5:10 PM

cobra4:
    To be fair faterson you have only played a handfull off times in 1 month.

Far more than a handful of times. Lots of community-organized tourneys are played in practice mode, such as all Ladder 3 matches, of which there is then no trace in a player's history. (PS: Looking for a Ladder 3 opponent in the next few minutes, let me know if anyone is interested; current #2 talking. )

• rnegv
    55 Posts
    Wed, Nov 25 2009 2:30 PM

Tadmin2....i can play with firefox but the game will not load with ie8 all of a sudden...why is that?

R

• WGTadmin2
    1,152 Posts
    Wed, Nov 25 2009 4:29 PM

My guess is that the flash cache on your IE8 browser is corrupt.  If you clear it and the browser cache you should be able to play.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Wed, Nov 25 2009 5:34 PM

I can report the same problem as rnegv.  Can open the game in Firefox and Chrome, but went to try it on IE8 to see if there was any improvement over a stuttering and lagging meter since the updates last week on both other browsers.  It opens the home page but the "Play Now" and "Play with a Group" box and friends do not appear.  Cleared Global cache and Flash cache but still does not appear.  I don't really need to open it in IE8 but would love for the meter to work fine in other browsers.

Playing in Firefox last 3 nights at midnight eastern which is not a peak time here with terrible meter response.  Last night I dinged the first 8 shots then suddenly couldn't get within 3 clicks of center until the 9th hole.  Wireless statistics were consistent and no background programs running that weren't running for the first several holes. So what changed?  System requirements for my CPU meet your suggested levels.

As for the earlier contention that you have to play on a dedicated land line I have to disagree on the results that I experience.  I have shot by best scores (28, 58) on wireless.  Every time I play "plugged in" I have wild lag issues (typically 5-6 clicks after I engage) without exception.  As soon as I try to compensate and jump the meter to stop early, so does the meter, often resulting lost balls. 

I know this is beta and you guys are doing everything you can to fix the issues, and I thank you for that.  I just wish you guys would lower the price of balls while people are still experiencing these issues on adequate lap tops.  Since joining in July I estimate that I have lost over 75 GI D balls due solely to meter problems.  That wasn't a big deal and totaled less than $10.  Last week I started trying the GI SD balls and those add up quick under the current price structure.  I've lost 4 balls this week due to meter stop or lag.  If I did that for 18 weeks we're looking at 72 balls totaling around $27.  Needless to say most folks can't afford that, although it works out great for you guys if stubborn people like me keep buying them expecting the meter to get better.   I am one of your best customers and have spent over $130 in 4 months as I always try out virtually every new piece of equipment.  I have also brought several new people to the site recently that experienced the same meter issues, were turned off by the price structure vs. payouts, and left the site before you ever got them hooked.

I know that I got WAY off topic from tech specs but wanted to share that the "value" perception is very poor with the current state of affairs.  Many of us would be much more willing to tolerate technical issues if some of the equipment prices were lowered a bit and tourney prizes were restored where they were a few weeks ago.  Many of your most dedicated and elite players are very disgruntled and looking for other options in the virtual golf world.  Please help us out and keep us here.

• AdamTurner
    103 Posts
    Wed, Nov 25 2009 6:03 PM

Flash10 + IE Explorer/Windows Updates goes a long way toward resolving most browser issues with this game.

Also once you clear your cache, you need to close all open browsers and re-open them to correctly flush the buffers.

If you've upgraded to Flash10, have all the latest Windows Updates for your browser, and still are not able to see the Play Now button, try rebooting. Many folks today are under the impression that leaving the computer on for weeks at a time is healthy. It's not.

If after you reboot the result is the same, I would visit the Macromedia site to ensure your flash is working.

...and yes the prices in the Pro Shop are nearing real life equipment. If it continues, I'll be hitting the freebie balls for a long long time.

Just my twist on it,

Adam

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Nov 25 2009 7:40 PM

jakestanfill7:
    I can report the same problem as rnegv.  Can open the game in Firefox and Chrome, but went to try it on IE8 to see if there was any improvement over a stuttering and lagging meter since the updates last week on both other browsers.  It opens the home page but the "Play Now" and "Play with a Group" box and friends do not appear.  Cleared Global cache and Flash cache but still does not appear.  I don't really need to open it in IE8 but would love for the meter to work fine in other browsers.

It sounds like you don't have Flash for IE installed. There are 2 different Flash versions: one for IE, and another for all the other browsers. I'd make sure to visit Adobe's web site in IE and install the newest version of Flash from there. I have IE 8 and all the buttons & Friends panel appear as they should, although I never play the game in IE. (I use Chrome for the game and Opera for the forums.)

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Thu, Nov 26 2009 12:24 AM

WGTadmin2:

Our servers are not experiencing load issue.  We believe that there may be an issue with the multiplayer loading logic.  Can you confirm if the freezing is only in multiplayer games?  Is it the same or worse with more players?

Also when it freezes please right click and submit the error to us.  This is the best way for us to resolve this issue quickly.

Thanks

Was frozen out of 4 games today. Multi-player stroke play ranked on Kiawah.

Also, went to the spec site WGTAlex references and found this in screen resolution

• 1024 x 768 screen resolution, preferably 1280 x 800 or higher. Click here to watch a quick tutorial on how to change your screen resolution.
  • But when I "click here" I'm told this has been removed.

Do I still need to do this? And if so, how? I'm a computer klutz.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Nov 26 2009 12:46 AM

AlaCowboy, I would definitely clear the browser cache, clear the Flash cache, re‑install Flash, and/or try a different browser, if your game freezes.

If you have a standard notebook/monitor, your screen resolution should be OK. You can check it, if you use Windows, by right-clicking your desktop with the mouse, then choose Properties and Settings. You will see your resolution there. Most people use higher than 1280 x 800 nowadays. (You're correct that the YouTube video tutorial on this is no longer available.)

• rnegv
    55 Posts
    Thu, Nov 26 2009 5:25 AM

the question here is not the game freez'n for me the game will not load with ie8 and will with firefox....can anyone explain this to me?

R

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Nov 26 2009 6:31 AM

As I just replied above to Jakestanfill, there are 2 versions of Flash: one for IE, and the other for other browsers. Make sure to install the newest Flash version for IE as well.

That being said, WGT warned there might be issues when trying to play the game in IE 8. Just avoid playing the game in IE 8, and play it in Firefox or Chrome instead. Why spend time trying to resolve an issue that does not need to be resolved?

• RSS