Forums

Help › Forums

Freezing

Wed, Dec 2 2009 2:13 PM (56 replies)
  • RUSTY40
    255 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 9:16 AM
    I play this game on 2 different internet connections. The one at my office is on a dedicated T1 line. I am told by the IT people that the internet connection based on the amount of data that we receive and transmit is one of the fastest available. This game played on this type of internet connection is fantastic. There is virtually no delay, screen changes are instantaneous. There is an occasional stick in the swing meter but its the type you can back off from, not a stuttering type. Then I play the game on a home DSL connection. I get two types of games there. 1) Single Play : not bad but can't compare to the T1 speed. Screen change delays and swing meter staggers are common. 2) Multiplayer play : Pathetic. I have had the swing meter stick (freeze) at the top of the backswing for 20 seconds and then going zooming across like a bullet. I even wifffed a putt once when the swing meter went flying off the screen after having a stroke. (It is data transmission) (its data transfer). There are even times when the mouse will not react for seconds. Based on playing on 2 different internet speeds my conclusion this game has great promise but not on home DSL. Sorry you guys are just not there yet; and if the only players that can enjoy this game are on dedicated T1 lines then you will have a limited audience. I would venture to guess that the very top master level players are not playing this game on stuttering data transmissions. The suggestions that you can speed up the data that you receive by defragmenting your disk and closing all programs will not change the speed you send and receive data , at least not anything that compares to the faster internet speeds. This is all about internet speed and don't let anybody tell you different. If you don't believe me try the game on some other(better) than home DSL.
  • cobra4
    359 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 9:40 AM

To be fair faterson you have only played a handfull off times in 1 month. Some players play a hell off a lot on here so you can see the frustration we have.Try playing 3-4 games a day and you will see where we are coming from.I got booted out 3 times in games yesterday,and had to withdraw from another.This has started happening in the last week or so.....By the way wgt, freezing out for me is occuring during multiplay

• naughty1
    104 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 9:42 AM

Faterson:
    agree with you about the flaming language. It's inappropriate.

Yes, us commoners can fall off the wagon, but we expect the "police" to show us the way 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 10:00 AM

I agree with you rusty-I've known this for a while as most of my time at WGT is through my DSL at my shop. It has a static IP and is the business version.

At home I have cable and there is a marked difference in the two. I experience more delays in loading and meter skips off the cable connection. Roadrunner currently has different speeds to offer, priced accordingly of course, and I just have the basic. I'm thinking of moving over to DSL at home because my shop hookup is much quicker all around, not just for this game but other applications as well.

YJ

• AdamTurner
    103 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 10:07 AM

Folks,

If you are using Internet Explorer for this game. Don't. Its methods of rendering the page carry a lot of overhead that even the best of bandwidths cannot cure.

For optimal experience, use either Firefox or Google Chrome and most importantly...upgrade to Flash10. Do not assume that because you've updated Internet Explorer with flash that it replicates over. It doesn't. Each browser has its own plugins. Please keep that in mind.

Also for computers that closely border the minimum requirements for the game, here's a free tip to improve the performance of your PC.

1. Go To Start --> Control Panel.
    2. Select "System" (Vista users select Switch to Classic view in the upper left)
    3. This should bring you to the system properties.
    4. Select the advanced tab.
    5. Under Performance, select Settings
    6. You should now see a radio button for "Adjust for best performance"
    7. Click it and select OK

You'll notice that the pretty window borders turn gray. That's ok. You've just freed up a lot of resources to both your processor and RAM and will now have a much better experience with WGT.

Happy golfing,

Adam

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 10:15 AM

Thanx Adam will try this now

• AdamTurner
    103 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 10:35 AM

YankeeJim:

I agree with you rusty-I've known this for a while as most of my time at WGT is through my DSL at my shop. It has a static IP and is the business version.

At home I have cable and there is a marked difference in the two. I experience more delays in loading and meter skips off the cable connection. Roadrunner currently has different speeds to offer, priced accordingly of course, and I just have the basic. I'm thinking of moving over to DSL at home because my shop hookup is much quicker all around, not just for this game but other applications as well.

YJ

YJ,

DSL is a dedicated connection while Cable internet is shared. What does this mean? If you have cable internet, you are fighting with others over the bandwidth which will give you a different experience at different times of day. DSL will be more consistent but doesn't offer the higher range of bandwidth found in cable internet.

If you're using cable internet, you'll have to study the times of day when the internet seems to be the fastest. Better yet, save yourself the study time and contact your ISP and ask them about the peek usage times. They may or may not give you a response, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Adam

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 11:24 AM

Then moving to DSL at home would be a good move. Are there typically different residential versions of DSL or does the dedication apply there too?

YJ

• AdamTurner
    103 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 12:00 PM

YankeeJim:

Then moving to DSL at home would be a good move. Are there typically different residential versions of DSL or does the dedication apply there too?

YJ

The best answer is ...it depends. The biggest factor in DSL performance is the distance from the ATM Switch. If your closest switch is a mile down the road, they might have a repeater to help the signal along. If not, you might as well have dial-up. This is the risk you run going through the phone lines. Yes, it's dedicated and you don't have to compete with your neighbor for internet service, but location becomes a very important factor. It never hurts to ask when you order the service. You might have to speak with a technician instead of a phone rep. Just a heads up.

...and yes, of course, they have different plans for folks with deeper pockets.

• WGTadmin2
    1,152 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 12:34 PM

Cable tends to be faster but if you share it with too many people it will be very slow.  Also the internet service providers will often throttle your connection speed down. 

This being said we are constantly adding improvements to speed up performance and we had a fix for some of the multiplayer slow downs.  Thanks for all the great feedback.

RSS