Forums

Help › Forums

Yoda's MLB Challenge 2! Condensed Edition!

Sat, Oct 29 2011 9:19 AM (71 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Oct 7 2011 4:47 AM

Yoda79:

Sorry YJ. Watched pretty much the entire game. Not a good feeling, I know. Hoping I don't join ya tomorrow night. But knowing the Phillies offense I probably will be. 

Saw every pitch, including the one that capped a stellar 2-18 performance by A-Rod.

Enjoy it, Yankee haters, they'll be back next year-132 days until pitchers and catchers report.

There is no joy in Mudville.......  :-(

• Cutbow
    33 Posts
    Fri, Oct 7 2011 7:33 AM

Thank you Yoda79, for this wonderful diversion from NBA withdrawal.

D-backs 4, Rangers 3

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Fri, Oct 7 2011 10:03 AM

Thanks cutbow for your prediction. DiamondBacks come from 0-2 down and win tonight and then win the whole thing? Hmmmm, well it could happen. Tonight is going to be a huge test for them. Good luck to ya.

• Squez
    469 Posts
    Fri, Oct 7 2011 12:14 PM

Tigers 4 - Brewers 2

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Fri, Oct 7 2011 7:55 PM

Thanks for the prediction squez. Could happen!

YJ, well....looks like I'm joining ya. At the time of this PM the Phillies are going to the ninth. Three outs to work with and I would bet ANYTHING that they blow them. Oh well. Best team in the regular season, worst in the playoffs. LOL......All I can do is laugh. :-(

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 8 2011 6:00 AM

Oh man, Yoda. I can see you now, sitting there in dumb disbelief at what's being said about the Phillies as you watch the post game show. I know you're watching it because I watched the Yankees' post game show too-every sordid, woulda coulda shoulda word of it, sitting there in the same stunned disbelief. Saturday (today) will be worse as you relive the entire game and it gnaws at you all day. My memory was of 2 bases loaded failures and how just a ground ball or fly ball would have tied the game. What's yours?

The Phillies' pitching staff was built for the post season. Yankee Stadium was built for the Yankees' style of play and hitting. Both teams spent a crap load of money and now they can both have a World Series golf tournament together. What a twist!

Heh-Just think of what it does for baseball. The Cards are coming out of nowhere and despite that obnoxious Nyger (counted 4 F bombs in the postgame celebration,) Milwaukee looks like a feel good story happening. A good time for the Midwest US.

In the meantime, bud-131 days to Spring Training for us. See you there.  ;-)

• BeachBumBill
    8 Posts
    Sat, Oct 8 2011 8:39 AM

Anyone notice that the three teams highlighted in the WGT MLB logo balls ads are all out of the playoffs in the first round?   WGT JINX?  LOL....

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, Oct 8 2011 8:57 AM

That's something I wasn't expecting, both NY and Phi losing.

Hmmnnn...

Maybe Mil vs Det and Det winning 4-1

• AGArgent
    343 Posts
    Sat, Oct 8 2011 10:27 AM

Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe a rematch of the '06 World Series; Cards v. Tigers. Cards are the most dangerous squad of the four remaining. That cannot be denied. On the kind of roll that takes a team all the way. Although, I must admit, I'm still sorta saying under my breath "whoa, did they REALLY just knock off the Phillies?! The team that everyone, myself included, thought were a LOCK to take the whole thing. Sorta seems like whatever comes next is gravy.

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Sat, Oct 8 2011 4:50 PM

Thanks for the prediction MBaggese. Good luck to ya.

YJ........~sigh~.....I'm so disgusted with our lack of offense. Ruben Amaro Jr. had better do something this offseason and start to piece together an offense that can hit the **ckin ball. I'm mean really?? Really? Rollins did his job. Utley and Victorino did theirs. But others just sucked!! Pence hit .211. Polanco went 2 for 19. Ruiz hit .059. Although he did do a nice job behind the plate. I always like to have Ruiz as my catcher. Not a big hitter but he usually does just enough to get us that hit every once in awhile. Ibanez wasn't great but he did what I expected him to. And then there was Howard. After his 2-run single in the first inning of game 2 he did NOT get another hit. NOT ONE!! I don't know what his problem is. He strikes out and grounds out entirely too much. That's 2 years in a row that Howard ends our season. ~sigh~ I don't know what else to say about the offense. It's putrid. It's just so damn irritating watching it, knowing that they CAN hit. 

The two balls that stand out in my mind are Ibanez's hard hit ball in the 4th inning that I originally thought was out. My heart started beating a mile a minute while that ball was in the air, listening to the crowd. Then to see it drop inside of the park directly into the fielders glove, ~sigh~ no words could describe the feeling. Then Utely's ball in the 9th to deep center I thought had a small chance but it was not to be. But if there was one thing that changed this series? One thing that stands out. To me....Game 2. We gave Cliff Lee a 4-run lead and he blew it. He keeps us that lead we win game 2 and chances are we win the series the next game. So that game 2 loss was the difference. Oh well. Just goes to show that the regular season has absolutely NO bearing on the playoffs and how a team performs. 

We seriously need a change in the offense. Get rid of Polanco, Ibanez, and maybe even Ruiz. Even though I love his defense we need a hitting catcher. And Howard? You know he produces so much in the regular season and always puts up big numbers. So it's hard to get rid of him. But I want somebody that's more consistent. He strikes out and grounds out too much. And when he gets into a slump........geez.......he really sucks. It's almost like he doesn't know how to hit a baseball. He can't pick up the pitch coming in and just swings and hopes he hit's it. OK, I'm just rambling  on. Changes needed in Philly. Big changes in the offense. Nuff said.

RSS