Help › Forums

WGT Desktop Early Access for Mac

Sat, Nov 25 2023 10:05 AM (290 replies)
  • freemont7007
    1 Posts
    Sun, May 14 2023 11:22 AM

When I try to launch the application I get an error message that tells me,

ERROR: access to ?Voulms/WGT Launcher 1/ is forbidden: run patcher in

Ans that is as far as I get. Can someone help me resolve this problem? I really want to play on my iMac!!

Thanks, Freemont

• ScottHope
    10,006 Posts
    Sun, May 14 2023 12:55 PM

Freemont, I don't have any Apple devices but do you need to drag the WGT icon into your applications folder and run it from there?

• RamJamSingh
    4 Posts
    Fri, Sep 29 2023 7:47 AM

Hi

I have been playing on a Mac desktop but after the upgrade a few days ago whilst the game opens i only get the music, WGT golf in the top grey bar and a completely blacked out screen. I have deleted and reinstalled after a restart as advised by the help desk - my machine meets the specs required. I am running High Sierra on a late 2009 27 inch Mac with 12gb of Ram and a 1TB Hard Drive. Also downloaded from Steam and via here but same result. Tried it on a MacBook Pro also running High Sierra and got the same result.

Any help much appreciated

RamJamSingh

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Fri, Sep 29 2023 8:49 AM

While I don't know about Steam, the Mac OS download from WGT now requires 11.0 (Big Sur) or higher. It won't run on High Sierra. I still have an older Mac running High Sierra and the software gets hung up about halfway through installing.

• HamdenPro
    2,402 Posts
    Fri, Sep 29 2023 8:53 AM

RamJamSingh:
    Any help much appreciate

I reached out to a moderator with your issue.

I was told that WGT is aware of the problem. They are saying to delete and reinstall game but this does not always work, apparently.

They are working on the issue and trying to get it resolved.

EDIT: They also said this has been happening across all Mac devices. On some, the delete/reinstall has worked.

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Fri, Sep 29 2023 9:01 AM

HamdenPro:
    EDIT: They also said this has been happening across all Mac devices. On some, the delete/reinstall has worked.

Did they indicate if was the download (Mac OS) version or the app from the App Store. I haven't had any issues with the one from the App store.

• HamdenPro
    2,402 Posts
    Fri, Sep 29 2023 9:07 AM

Robert1893:
    Did they indicate if was the download (Mac OS) version or the app from the App Store

No, they did not, only that "all Mac devices" that are having issues "should be good" after a delete and reinstall and that they were working on the issue.

It is unrelated, AFAIK, to the recent update that has resulted in the game being non-compatible with certain Apple devices such as:

• Amazon Kindle Fire HDX WAN (2013)
    • Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 WAN (2013)
    • Amazon Kindle Fire HD (2013)
    • Amazon Kindle Fire HDX (2013)
    • Amazon Fire Phone
    • Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 (2013

Edit: "we have updated the technology that powers WGT Golf. With the rollout of the latest update to users on Amazon devices, our minimum requirements have changed from Android 4.4 to Android 5 (Lollipop), which means some older Amazon devices will no longer be supported"

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Sat, Sep 30 2023 8:07 AM

I somewhat get all of that. As they tweak, adjust, or add features to software, the technology required to run it will necessarily change. Hardware from 6 years ago (or older) can't be expected to run programs today. Metaphorically, it's like that everywhere.

For example, a while back, I went to install Microsoft Office 365 on my old Macbook Pro. It wouldn't install because the OS on that Mac is too old. Similar thing happened a few years ago with my wife and Quicken. The updated version of Quicken she wanted to install required the Mac to have a new OS.

And the problem with that is, at some point, Apple stops supporting older models and lists them as obsolete, which means the user can't update the OS.

So, both software developers and users are caught in the middle. 

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Sat, Sep 30 2023 11:05 AM

And here's the flip side of the issue. Earlier this week, I upgraded to Sonoma on my Mac. I just tried to run a statistical software program I use (SPSS). Apparently, it's incompatible with SPSS. 

Sigh.

Good thing I have a workaround.

• mojocracker
    18 Posts
    Sat, Sep 30 2023 3:08 PM

My understanding is that WGT is no longer supported on 10.13 (High Sierra) which I am also running.  It's dumbfounding to me why WGT does not make OS-specific builds available for older machines, especially since the newer builds of the software demonstrate nothing in terms of better performance or features.  

RSS