Forums

Help › Forums

How do I stop discussion emails?!?!?!

Tue, Feb 22 2011 10:53 PM (22 replies)
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Oct 16 2009 7:36 AM

Soulcatcher, was that in threads where you had also submitted posts earlier on? In such a case, the earlier setting may have overruled the later one.

It's true the check-box is incorrectly described. It's titled Email me replies to this post, although in reality it means Email me replies to this thread.

I would suggest to you both to go to the threads overview in the forum where this happens, click on Sorting and Filtering at the top of the page, and verify that the setting under Send Email is Never. (Maybe first set it to something else, then back to Never and confirm by clicking the Apply button.)

• WGTadmin2
    1,152 Posts
    Fri, Oct 16 2009 7:52 AM

Trevor and Soul

It looks like you are both receiving emails for previous threads that  the box was checked to receive emails on replies to the thread.  So when people reply to that thread you will get an email.  We will look into making this more clear as Faterson has suggested.

Also please let me know if the suggestion above by faterson to go to the threads overview "sorting and filtering" does not work.

thanks

WGT

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Fri, Oct 16 2009 8:58 AM

Thanks WGTadmin2 and Faterson...and you can get to that Sorting and Filtering by going to the Forum home page and then click on any sub-heading...such as WGT Beta...to the right of "+write a new post" is the Sorting and Filtering.

It doesn't really stand out due to the light green font color.

This is the color of choice on the forum pages.

Not sure if any of this is in the FAQ section...if not it probably should be.

edit: I see Faterson provided a quick link (that darn color) . But it's still good for new members to know how to get there by themselves.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Fri, Oct 16 2009 12:36 PM

The problem seems to be that if you ever had the box 'Email me replies to this post' checked it does not let you uncheck it. My settings are set to never by the way. I will try a test post in everything else and see what happens.

*edit*  Ok so that seems to be the problem. In a new post if I make sure that the 'Email me replies to this post' box is not checked, I get no emails.

It still does not matter it seems if I go back to older posts and change it.

• TrevorTurner
    106 Posts
    Fri, Oct 16 2009 3:33 PM

Thanks all for suggestions,

I have gone through and checked appropriate boxes.

My "Sorting and Filtering" setting was already set to "Never" but I refreshed it regardless.

Hmm...maybe I will set up an email strickly for these 18 emails I just got.  Faterson your email must be choked!! (u have upwards of 1000 posts)

However I have a feeling that even if I change my email, they will still come to old one.

I will keep u guys posted....(no pun intended...giggle)

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Oct 16 2009 4:15 PM

TrevorTurner:
    Faterson your email must be choked!! (u have upwards of 1000 posts)

As I mentioned, the email notifications feature only started working 4 days ago. So, I've only been receiving them for a few days, and it's great. Just as it should be. WGT's email notifications are even better than those from phpBB (as on the Ladders site), because they also include the full texts of forum posts, whereas in phpBB's notifications, you need to click a link in order to read the forum post.

There is no choking, by the way. I administer the email server for quite a large organization and receive up to 1500 email messages per day. The dozens of additional daily emails from WGT don't really matter. I have about 510 distinct folders set up in my email program, and filters automatically route these WGT emails to a special folder that I only browse when I happen to have the time for it. I can ignore that folder at all other times. Everyone can set up a filter like this in their email software, and then it won't bother you to receive these notifications. On the contrary: email notifications can be very useful and save quite a lot of time for you. Most of all, they can help WGT's staff get prompt feedback from site users.

• TrevorTurner
    106 Posts
    Fri, Oct 16 2009 7:32 PM

Well, email notifications switched to new email address.  And works

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Sat, Oct 17 2009 5:26 AM

I agree .. same thing happened to me ... can't turn it off once you turn it on.   However in the note I got it tells me the following.   Number 1 does not work .. and I can't find the edit profile screen in number 2.     Any suggestions ???

1. To unsubscribe from this item only, visit the item link and turn off notifications.

To stop all notifications of any updated items from World Golf Tour, go to Edit Profile, click on the Site Options tab, then under Email Configuration, set Send Notifications to "No".

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Oct 17 2009 7:24 AM

lvietri, this is a bug that has been noted in these forums in the past, that those instructions in the footers of notification emails describe features that are not yet available on this site. This must be one of the things in preparation for the future.

Remember, it's still

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Sat, Oct 17 2009 2:05 PM

Thanks F ... I've not been here that long and didn't see it when I did a search.

RSS