Forums

Help › Forums

Ping red wood putter

Mon, Jan 18 2010 12:24 PM (91 replies)
  • TaterNater
    545 Posts
    Fri, Aug 21 2009 2:55 PM

just wanted to hear any responses before i purchase it. good bad .

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Aug 21 2009 2:58 PM

Hands-down best, finest & most reliable putter ever on WGT.com. Just go ahead & get it.    (I've played with all 5 putters quite a lot, and Spider comes in as a remote second in terms of quality.)

• TheSpaghettiKid
    424 Posts
    Fri, Aug 21 2009 3:17 PM

can u comment on putter meter distances and increments per avatar move?  

i notice balance is slightly better on the redwood.  how does balance actually affect execution in the virtual world.  i think of balance as the weight distribution of the club when you are acutally holding it in your hands.  not sure how that matters like precision and forgiveness as related to our mouse and meter speed.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Aug 21 2009 3:22 PM

Increments are the very comfortable 15, 30, 45 & 90 feet. The swing meter is rather fast, but you can neutralize it with GI-D balls.

As to avatar movements, I never watch them... despite Nivlac's excellent putting tutorial.  

The main bonus of this new putter is its precision. Making more 10+ and even 20+ feet putts now than ever before.

• TheSpaghettiKid
    424 Posts
    Fri, Aug 21 2009 4:53 PM

ok now i'm jonesin'.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Aug 21 2009 11:35 PM

I see you've edited your earlier post to ask what was putter balance all about. This was discussed here.

• TheSpaghettiKid
    424 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 2:05 AM

very good explanation.  thanks for the link Fater!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 6:07 AM

You don't really need the slow meter balls to slow the meter down. Calculate the avatar move for each scale and you'll find that for each scale you have 4 different putts for the first movement.

The Redwood scales translate to 6,9,13 and 17 feet for the first movement. Now, try that 17 foot putt from the 150 scale and you find it very easy to hit perfect because the backswing is so short and the ball seems to roll truer.

The key is the short backswing making it easier to hit perfect.

• brandi35
    295 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 6:41 AM

Tater, this is just my opinion, and I know they are like bleep holes everyone has one, but I sold the redwood the very next day.  I missed I would say at least 20 putts inside 6 feet, most of them being 3 footers.  I have talked to several people about it and I would say it is 50/50 on that putter.  I went back to the anser which I just love!!!!

Brandi

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 6:51 AM

I find it very surprising what brandi35 says, and it makes no sense to me. Redwood is supposed to be the upgraded Anser, and my experience of at least 15 or so rounds confirms it, so I wonder how it can possibly be considered worse?    

(The fact is, 3-foot putts with the Redwood must be hit very differently from the basic starter putter, and perhaps the other putters as well, which is why I missed so many short putts in the Starters Invitational tournament, being forced to use the basic putter & no longer being used to its imprecision.)

RSS