Forums

Help › Forums

Ping red wood putter

Mon, Jan 18 2010 12:24 PM (91 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 9 2010 5:41 AM

LOL-attaboy manny-you're getting it. As for pillsy and his method, that's what works for him. He's adapted to what he likes and it's working for him. You will wind up doing the same-it works both ways. The key is believing in the method. Keep it up!

• mannyo68
    23 Posts
    Sat, Jan 9 2010 9:12 AM
    Thanks for the encouragement Yankee Jim. What method do you use for a 6 footer? The first move on the 30ft scale or what pillsy described? Will let you know how it is going later today...
  • pillsy
    489 Posts
    Sat, Jan 9 2010 10:02 AM

yes, with a 30-foot scale, the 1st movement IS 6 feet.  BUT, the first movement is also this long:

|----------------------------------|

on the 90 foot scale, the first movement is this long:

|--------------------|

so when you cut it in half (6.5'), it makes you backswing only this long:

|----------|

but like YJ said, that's just what works for me, find what's comfortable with you and go with it.  by the way, my first few rounds with the redwood i thought i just wasted my money.  everything was coming up short, couldn't get the hang of the different meters...but after about 2 weeks, i think it's great.  once you know the meters, you can dial in the distances.  and even if you don't **ding** the line, it still rolls pretty good and has a shot at the cup.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 9 2010 1:12 PM

mannyo68:
    What method do you use for a 6 footer?

Great post pillsy. What I do manny is be very very careful about the movements. I find it easier to watch them than estimate like p does. Again, whatever works but I find it critical to be exact with the moves. For instance, move the club what you think is 2 moves. Now, start to move back towards the first move and see how much the meter moves before the club does. That little bit will throw you off. What I do is move the club twice, back to once and then back to 2, slowly. As soon as the club moves I know it's just on the second move. Kinda like a waggle thing-LOL.

To answer your question about the 6 footer  look at it this way. (We're talking slow green numbers here.) 1 move on 15 scale is a weak 6 while 1 move on the 30 scale is a strong 6. You can even use the 45 scale if you move once then back to just before the move. This would turn your 9 footer into 7/8 on that scale. Experiment to see what you like. Always aim 2 feet past the cup.  When your misses are 2-3 ft long you know you have it right. GL

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, Jan 9 2010 1:50 PM

Great discussion on the Redwood putter among other things. What are some of your thoughts on being able to set a default distance? This way we wouldn't have to change distances (range) every-time we putt.

For example, I like to use the 30 range for 99% of my putts and the default is 15 and I have to switch to 30 for every putt. It's a pain in the rear when I forget to switch to 30 and the putt winds up way short.

• uoducks63
    53 Posts
    Sat, Jan 9 2010 3:35 PM

Maybe i am just over thinking this whole thing, well that and my addiction to golf, but anyways, what i did was measure the distance of the meter and divide it by 10.  Then put those measurements on a small piece of paper and taped it to the bottom of the monitor...

It does take a little time to do, but now if i wan to hit a shot 90% i can just take my backswing to the 9th line and so forth.  With the putter ( i use the redwood), if i am on the 30 foot setting, then the 1st line is 3 feet and the 2nd is 6 feet and so on.......

This may not be how you want to do it but it works really well for me and just thought some of you might want to try something to help you with distance control....

thanks and good golfing

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 9 2010 7:57 PM

That's an interesting way to do it ducks. I'm guessing you compensate for the difference in green speeds by adjusting the distance you hit it.  

@richard on the default thing. WGT controls that through the game so it may not be possible. Perhaps a no-caddy option would be a good idea. I run into it on the default club selection-it's always way long and that's where I'd like to see no caddy. JMO

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, Jan 9 2010 8:10 PM

Thanks for the insight Jim. You and some of the other guys have that Redwood putter down to a science.

Although I use an Anser putter, I picked up on some tips you and others demonstrated.

Thanks.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sat, Jan 9 2010 8:43 PM

There is a downside to using the higher distanced putter scales for shorter putts as some have described above and that is this:  The longer the scale of putter, the greater the deviation from the aim point when you miss the Excellent line.  In fact, if you find yourself missing the line on putts more often than not, you are just defeating the accuracy of the Redwood by moving to a longer scale.  Also, the faster the green speed, the more chance that a putt hit 1-5% too hard on a longer scale putter for shorter putts will lip out.  Misjudging the speed 1-5% on a 6-8ft putt with a 45 pt putter is very easy to do, while the same cannot be said on the 15ft scale.

The shorter the scale you use, the better the chance to be precise with the speed.  This is ultimately the benefit of the Redwood over some of the other putters.  If you're just going to move up to longer scales for short putts, it matters not what putter you use because you need to hit the line to make them, and generally hitting the line with any putter will sink the putt, all things being equal in aiming.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 9 2010 10:11 PM

tibbets:
    if you find yourself missing the line on putts more often than not,

This is what I think is the whole reason for using the larger scales is. You are exactly right in what you say but most players aren't capable of consistently hitting the mark.The reason for using those higher scales is primarily to make it easier to hit the mark by keeping the meter action to a minimum, which you do with a short backswing.

Also, this discussion has been mostly about the Redwood putter but the type of thinking involved can be applied to whatever putter you use. It isn't specific to the Redwood so take a look at how you've been using what you already have-you might be surprised.

RSS