Forums

Help › Forums

Ping red wood putter

Mon, Jan 18 2010 12:24 PM (91 replies)
  • AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Sun, Dec 27 2009 10:19 AM

Faterson:

You must have read a year-old thread or so. The advanced putters were only introduced in recent months. Just go ahead and buy the Redwood, forget about the tour starter.

I have the Redwood putter and like it very much. I tried the Spider but never got the feel for it and got the Redwood after a month of struggles with the Spider.

The Redwood is <almost> as good as chocolate.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Sun, Dec 27 2009 10:55 AM

no debate at all here FATERSON IS CORRECT buy the redwood and start knocking putts in from everywhere.

• mannyo68
    23 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 11:00 AM

I have played the Redwood over 20 rounds since getting it.. I HATE it!!  I use the regular putter more than the Redwood now since I do better with it.  Cannot get the short ones in with the Redwood.  Very frustrating.  I am thinking of dropping the Redwood for the Spider.  I am afraid I will hate that one too!!!  HELP!!  

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 11:08 AM

manny-I will be happy to show you how to use the putter. Friend me up and we'll go at it. Before you do though, read the Putting Tips post by nivlac. That alone might just get you unlocked.

The values I use for each scale on fast greens are 8   8   12   16   20.  This will make sense when you read that post. GL

YJ

• mannyo68
    23 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 11:53 AM
    Thanks yankee jim for the quick reply. I saw this movement tip before and tried it. I liked codmot's idea better and use that. I get distances pretty good and usually leave my first putt by the hole. The problem with the Redwood versus starter putter is that I am less accurate with the Redwood from 15ft in. break or no break. Is there some tips like the Redwood needs to be "hit harder" "play less break" ''play more"... things like that. I also wanted some advice on if people have switched from Redwood to Spider and like it or hated it. Thanks again...
  • jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 12:07 PM

i used to have both the Redwood and the Spider. I got the Spider first b/c of the forgiveness and the slower meter.. and I was much more consistent from  longer distances than I was with the Tour Starter. The big problem with the Spider ( for me) was the in-between distances.... the 10' increments made those 13-17 footers pretty tough. The Spider also killed me on slight mishits.

IMO ( and several others') , the Redwood is simply more accurate ... slight mishits will hold the line better than the spider, but will lose a little bit of speed. And it's tough to beat the 5 different meters-15, 30, 45, 90, & 150.  If you can manage the quicker meter, the Redwood really is the way to go.... and using the GI balls help out with that if you need to.

1,644 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 12:25 PM

mannyo68:
    Is there some tips like the Redwood needs to be "hit harder" "play less break" ''play more"... things like that.
     I can say that when the Redwood (and before that the Anser) came out I did notice that you have to hit it a bit firmer than you would with the basic or tour starter putters (from the same distance on the same green speed)  But it is by FAR the most accurate putter that you can use.

*edit* another Tip... If your just trying to get it to barely drop in the cup, you are not hitting it hard enough.  My goal is to always leave the putt 1-2 feet past the hole and then factor in the break at that speed, which will be different if there is a lot of break at the end of the putt.

• WojciechMigda
    158 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 12:51 PM

Maybe I will drop my 2 gr.

It is obvious that Redwood has a precision paremeter twice as good as Spider, OTOH Spider's meter speed it 3x slower than that of Redwood. I don't know whether the corelation is linear or not (maybe some recordings and time measurements would shed some light on the algorithms used), but from a perspective of a player such as me, who even with a slow Spider's meter is not hiting it perfect, the putter's precision factor is lost in my own lack of precise shot execution - one needs to balance these two factors together to make a conscious decission. If one is consistently hitting the snap line in the middle, then he will benefit more from Redwood than from Spider. This also applies to ability to properly read the line of a putt and its speed with relation to the slope.

It is not that rare in my case that after I prepare for my putt, pretty convinced about the read, trying to hit it perfect to give it a chance, and then I miss it. Unexpectedly, the putt drops, because my read was bad, but was balanced by a mishit. I dare to say that with such putting skills Redwood would look in my hands same as a laser sword held by a caveman :)

But to summarize - maybe it could help if you looked at putting statistics of some players to find those which are close to yours, but their overall average is lower. Then write down what putters they use to decide which would work for you ? Anyone can comment on that ? Site-wise skills comparison chart would come handy :)

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 12:59 PM

WojciechMigda:
    It is not that rare in my case that after I prepare for my putt, pretty convinced about the read, trying to hit it perfect to give it a chance, and then I miss it. Unexpectedly, the putt drops, because my read was bad, but was balanced by a mishit. I dare to say that with such putting skills Redwood would look in my hands same as a laser sword held by a caveman :)

If you mishit on the direction the breaking is coming from (high side) , it goes in very often.   However if you miss even 1 pixel on the low side, it will have virtually no chance of going in unless its under an 8 foot putt, assuming you read it correctly.  I'm not very concerned about dinging putts unless it is very flat, or a long putt, so long as I'm never missing on the wrong side of the ding.

edit- in reguards to the redwood,  nothing else is remotely close to as good.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 1:03 PM

WojciechMigda:
    OTOH Spider's meter speed it 3x slower than that of Redwood. I don't know whether the corelation is linear or not

Nope, not really. I believe the benefit of the Redwood's precision clearly outweighs the benefit of the Spider's slower meter. Plus, remember you can slow down Redwood's meter with GI-SD or GI2-S balls, among others.

The best way to proceed is to buy both putters and make the comparison for yourself.    I did so, playing rounds alternately with the Redwood and the Spider, and I feel that the Redwood is hands-down the better putter. The price, in this particular instance, says it all. ($6 vs. $4.)

WojciechMigda:
    maybe it could help if you looked at putting statistics of some players to find those which are close to yours, but their overall average is lower.

The trouble with the stats is that they are often highly misleading. For one thing, none of your practice rounds is included in them; none of your match-play rounds either, I suppose.

What is more, your stats are non-equipment specific, conflating all your results with the various equipment items into a single figure. And, that makes that single figure highly misleading. I've extensively played with all 5 putters in this game, but I have no idea what my stats with any of the 5 putters might be; I can only say I've scored my best rounds when using the Redwood. Neither do the stats show the effect of the ball type you are using, etc. What a great thing it would be, to have equipment-specific stats available, but, unfortunately, that isn't so.

RSS