Forums

Help › Forums

Ping red wood putter

Mon, Jan 18 2010 12:24 PM (91 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 8:01 AM

I went from the Anser to the Redwood and had the same problem until I realized just how much smoother and more accurate the Redwood is. No 30 ft scale messed me up but the 15 ft scale made up for it. The Anser forgave more but the Redwood is more accurate and after maybe 5 practice rounds you find it works quite nicely.

Something to try on those short putts. "Shape" the putt by missing perfect. Hitting early sends the ball left, late makes it go right (pull/push.) Don't change the aim. This is easier to do than you think because if you use the longer scales your backswing gets really short. This makes it very easy to snap your swing exactly where you want (before,on or after perfect.)

For instance, a 17 ft putt is only i avatar movement on the 150 scale, 2=34, etc. The avatar only moves a fraction and the meter goes very slow. Helps out swing-challenged sorts like me. I can't hit perfect consistent enough to save my life so I play to miss.

Hey, whatever works, no?  GL

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 8:18 AM

YankeeJim:
    I went from the Anser to the Redwood and had the same problem until I realized just how much smoother and more accurate the Redwood is. No 30 ft scale messed me up but the 15 ft scale made up for it. The Anser forgave more but the Redwood is more accurate and after maybe 5 practice rounds you find it works quite nicely.

Bingo! That's the best characterization of the Redwood putter I've read anywhere so far.  

• brandi35
    295 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 11:30 AM

Like I said, it was JMO.

Brandi 

• mrboo
    211 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 5:25 PM

Considering I couldnt tell a difference between the tour starter putter and spider, I'm certainly not shelling out 400cr for another putter with a really really bad name. I mean Redwood? Wtf is that. I may be old school but damn, that's ridiculous. Oh and some birds would be nice too. tweet tweet, WGT, tweet tweet.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 5:27 PM

If I could carry two putters I would carry two redwoods because they are that full of awesome.

• mrboo
    211 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 6:56 PM

And this is why WGT should allow a free trial for clubs, just in practice, nothing for ranks or tourneys but I think they might sell more clubs if people could first test the true potential (or lack there of) of different clubs. Too much of a gamble right now. =/ I know, I know it's only $4 and I could always sell it back, but I've never bought a club IRL before trying it out or getting it custom fit first.

Tweet.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 7:40 PM

Somone has posted on the "Wish List" poll something to that effect...  having clubs you can rent, with limited durability like the golf balls.

Interesting idea... one I would vote for.

• edchavez
    488 Posts
    Sun, Aug 23 2009 10:54 AM

Never tried it. Wish i could at least test it out, to see if its better than the Spider putter

• BogieWisely
    1 Posts
    Sun, Dec 27 2009 7:20 AM

nivlac:

If I could carry two putters I would carry two redwoods because they are that full of awesome.

Nivlac, I just read another thread of yours saying how good the tour starter was compared to the entry model. Please explain as I am debating whether or not to shell out for the Redwood. You had also mentioned how he 2 top players use the tour starter model.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Dec 27 2009 8:53 AM

You must have read a year-old thread or so. The advanced putters were only introduced in recent months. Just go ahead and buy the Redwood, forget about the tour starter.

RSS