2,929 Posts
    Wed, Mar 30 2011 1:53 PM

i play on a laptop and have had been bitten by the meter,

but mostly its just the mouse operator.

-G

• TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Wed, Mar 30 2011 3:04 PM

Thank you all for your comments. I am going to sieve through tomorrow and see if any make a difference. 

• TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Thu, Mar 31 2011 7:36 AM

Hi Andyson

I have now tried putting all the crome processes onto one core with a bit of effect to start with but did not seem to hold up, and still not the smoothness I had with my last one.

I have 77 processes running in the background with only 13 taken out with game booster. I stopped using game booster on my last machine as it actually seemed to make the game worse. CPU usage is not getting above 5%.

The other thing that was mentioned before was changing the fps rate but how the hell do I do that!!! They started to explain in one of the examples but my mind started to melt.

TAP

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Mar 31 2011 7:49 AM

Something basic is wrong, TAP. There's no way you need to be doing all that just to play on a new computer, lap top or otherwise. My LT has been excellent since day 1. All I did was clean up the msconfig startup programs like I referenced earlier and have been playing since without any problems.

• jimbean346
    3,006 Posts
    Thu, Mar 31 2011 9:11 AM

Paul; rule of thumb I follow - the newer the PC, the sh*tter WGT runs on it. I've played on three different systems, all with i7 cores and the meter's been smooth but doesn't respond when you click. There's about the 0.25-0.5 second delay before the meter actually stops (non-wired mouse, gamebooster, set affinity etc...) that makes it impossible to play the game effectively.

This is the only reason I won't let work buy me a new PC - it runs like s*it to do my day job on but it's a dream to play a round of golf with :-)

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Mar 31 2011 9:15 AM

Other things I do TAP:

- Check for graphics card driver updates and keep it current.

-If you run any other apps during gameplay (I have Excel for note taking, Skype, and Windows Live Mail, and a paint program open)  move their processes off the CPU used for Chrome.  Its a PITA to do this, but I leave them open and seldom reboot so I do it once in a while only.

-I assume you set game options for efficiency (low/mid graphics quality, water reflections and flag animation, etc off)

-Probably the most important thing I do is pause 4 seconds at the top of the backswing to allow the CPU to settle down.

-I only have the WGT game client window open in my FF browser while playing.

I have 82 processes running and get only an occasional stutter/lag in solo play.  MP is another story with higher CPU usage by the game in MP I get more meter issues.

• TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Thu, Mar 31 2011 11:43 AM

Thanks guys, interesting what you say jim because the actual meter may have smoothed out quite a bit after me applying some of Andys suggestions, it is the clicking I am finding a nightmare. 

Andy I will experiment a bit further tomorrow and thank you for your help all.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Mar 31 2011 11:49 AM

This might be a good time to see just how effective Iron is. Since you're using the latest version of Flash now using the Iron browser to play might help a lot. It uses an older version and has nothing attached to it.

You never know..........  http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Mar 31 2011 3:49 PM

TallAcePaul:

Thanks guys, interesting what you say jim because the actual meter may have smoothed out quite a bit after me applying some of Andys suggestions, it is the clicking I am finding a nightmare. 

Andy I will experiment a bit further tomorrow and thank you for your help all.

Glad to hear its smoothing out for you.

RSS