Forums

Help › Forums

New Computer Worse Play

rated by 0 users
Thu, Mar 31 2011 5:44 PM (23 replies)
  • TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Wed, Mar 30 2011 10:35 AM

I am not very technical and wonder if someone can point out why my new laptop does not allow me to play the game with the same smoothness as my last.

Old laptop Dell XPS Intel Core 2 CPU, T7200@2 GHz, 2GHz. 1.99 RAM

New One Intel Core i5 CPU, M460@2.53 GHz, 2.53 GHz. 4 GB Ram.

From the specs I would have expected the new one to play a lot smoother.

I play on Google Crome so the flash should be updated all the time.

Any help appreciated

TAP

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Wed, Mar 30 2011 10:58 AM

Quite possibly it's because your new laptop will have a lot more background processes running at the same time as you're trying to play the game.

You could always try downloading and installing gamebooster2 just to see if that helps.....which it should because it'll stop any processes that don't need to be running and hopefully give you a smoother game.

cheers

tbe

• oneputtdavid
    1,337 Posts
    Wed, Mar 30 2011 11:08 AM

TallAcePaul:
    I am not very technical and wonder if someone can point out why my new laptop .

I was discussing my frequent slow loads, meter issues within the last week, with a player who seemed to be quite knowledgeable with PC's. 

After about an hour of try this try that, delete or add this etc etc, with no noticeable change in performance and/or unwanted additional CPU usage while in the game client. 

Then he suggested that it was either my server w/wireless router or my PC (laptop). Basically he said LT's cannot handle WGT's high quality graphics game. 

I am just curious to hear responses from the more astute players on which system they play this game with. Laptops vs ?

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Wed, Mar 30 2011 11:48 AM

oneputtdavid:

Basically he said LT's cannot handle WGT's high quality graphics game. 

I am just curious to hear responses from the more astute players on which system they play this game with. Laptops vs ?

Most laptops nowadays can be just as or even more powerful than desktops pc's, so he's wrong there. There are other variables like graphics cards etc...but normally you'll find that even bog standard graphics cards will be good enough for this game.

I play the game using my 2006 HP Laptop running XP and it runs smooth enough. For sure I notice my meter stuttering etc but this only happens at peak times and heavy volume traffic server side.....certainly nothing to do with LT or PC.

tbe

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Mar 30 2011 12:10 PM

TAP-Your problem has been here before and it usually comes as a result of all the crap the OEM loads up for you that starts every time you turn the computer on. This thread deals with it-the msconfig file- and you don't need to be a geek to get what's going on. There's pics too so read it, it'll probably help a lot.  GL

Toshiba Satellite lap top since day 1.

• oneputtdavid
    1,337 Posts
    Wed, Mar 30 2011 12:24 PM

YankeeJim:
    Toshiba Satellite lap top since day 1.

Thats what I use too Jim.

Laptops=3  Others=0     Anyone else?

Thanx Easy', for your input.

• 6six6
    194 Posts
    Wed, Mar 30 2011 12:48 PM

Most laptops nowadays can be just as or even more powerful than desktops pc's, so he's wrong there

LOL, and a dell at that. they use the slowest ram possible.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Mar 30 2011 1:27 PM

TallAcePaul, Your laptop is similar to my 9 month old laptop.  Try running with your browser and flash plug-in affinity set to a single processor.  It worked for me.

Here is a post I made last year on setting process affinity.  (half way down the page)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Mar 30 2011 1:33 PM

BE CAREFUL, TAP.  Every suggestion here applies but some are basic and should be tried first. It's real easy to get totally confused. One at a time, you'll figure it out. Since Andyson has a similar setup you have a mentor.  :-)

P.s., Don't upset him-he'll make a funny picture out of you.  :-D

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, Mar 30 2011 1:41 PM

1. Its a Dell

2. Its an intel CPU

3. Junk hardware

4. Too many processes running at start-up

RSS