Mon, Jun 20 2016 2:55 AM (100 replies)
  • ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Tue, Jun 14 2016 5:01 PM

cdefghi:

YankeeJim:

Wheels65:
    And while our brothern in England want to climb on a high horse

There wasn't any of that, just a legitimate, very valid question. 

I'm in agreement with YJ that Paul's comments were more of an observation rather than questioning America's laws and how they apply in these instances. I've lived in the USA my entire life and still scratch my head wondering when more states will follow suit with the few that have banned assault weapons already.

In a nutshell I'd rather have each state determine what the limits should be on laws that don't mesh with the original wording of the US Constitution than have absolute power from the feds on issues like this one and others.  It's worked rather well so far in the legalization of marijuana, and hopefully after this latest tragedy, the same snowball affect will help in keeping assault weapons out of the hands of not just undesirables, but everyone.

IMO, this thread is not the place to get into a pissing contest over semantics, just saying.

I agree..so I will refrain from mentioning the word is "brethren", not "brothern".:)

• Wheels65
    744 Posts
    Tue, Jun 14 2016 6:06 PM

Sit On It Fonzie!

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Tue, Jun 14 2016 6:41 PM

Rest in peace the victims to this latest  gun loving nation 

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Tue, Jun 14 2016 7:36 PM

siggipj76:

Very simplistic view...common amongst liberals.

The right to bear arms is ingrained in the American constitution. If this terrorist couldn't get an assault weapon, he would have strapped a large bomb to himself, or driven a car full of explosives through the front door.

When someone places no value on life, including his or her own, they are almost impossible to stop; especially in a free and open society.

• LuckySkreet
    611 Posts
    Tue, Jun 14 2016 9:07 PM

No doubt a healthy debate is warranted.......... but, personally I feel "Today"  is the time for offering  heartfelt condolences to the families and friends that are suffering great loss from a meaningless tragedy......... and not an opportunity to Politicize.

Rest in Peace.............

-Danny

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Jun 15 2016 1:19 AM

ct690911:

The right to bear arms is ingrained in the American constitution. If this terrorist couldn't get an assault weapon, he would have strapped a large bomb to himself, or driven a car full of explosives through the front door.

When someone places no value on life, including his or her own, they are almost impossible to stop; especially in a free and open society.

Gun Murders in England, Scotland and Wales 2011/12

Involving a gun or firearm as the main weapon 44. 

Chicago year to date:

Shot & Killed: 259

Have the debate I would say.  Other places have equal freedoms because they also get to vote.  But yes for now mostly remember the senseless killing in Orlando.

• dbadeaux
    759 Posts
    Wed, Jun 15 2016 1:30 AM

fatdan:
    As for the shootings in Orlando, I blame the new political correctness attitude in this country not the guns

Law enforcement has their hands tied because of "political correctness".  The FBI had this guy on their radar, they knew he was a bad man...but what could they have done?  Well, there's actually a lot they could have done, but not without the ACLU filing lawsuits for "profiling".

Our law enforcement agencies can't rely on proven tactics because someone might get their feelings hurt.  You know what, if fat bearded Caucasians were wreaking havoc in a city/county and I drove through that city/county, law enforcement better pull my fat butt over and question me.  It's their job....that's what they do.  But, not anymore.

It's called profiling and it became a bad thing because of political correctness. I'm sorry, but if a certain nationality, race, body type, fashion type is committing a large percentage of the crime then people matching those aspects[?] should be scrutinized by law enforcement.  It's not the policeman's fault that there is a population of animals that match your nationality, race, body type, etc that are killing, robbing, kidnapping, raping innocent people.  

There are hundreds of grieving family and friends that wish the rights of their loved ones that are wounded or dead were as important as the rights of the animal that shot them.  Thanks to the ACLU and the Supreme Court, Omar Mateen was not harassed or inconvenienced in any way before slaughtering 50 people.

More Gun laws....please.  There are already laws against mass murder, he broke that law.  Criminals break laws people.  Remember prohibition?  I'm pretty sure people still got drunk...speaking of which, I think I'll pour another and drown my sorrows. 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Jun 15 2016 2:31 AM

Well I would agree with the PC bit and Australia (where I live) and the UK (I come from London) have those issues too.........As much as there are many v peaceful muslims there is way too much, "but can you blame them" from too many, and way too much silence.  The latter is probably worst in the UK because there are more per head, and it counts more what you were in Pakistan than there.  I think ignoring that is as wrong as not appreciating many are fine .............

I will say though that as much as many Americans think the current gun laws are fine most Aussies / Brits find the stance incredible.  Be hard pushed to persuade anyone in the UK or Oz to think of changing the laws they have.  Well that's OK as each to their own democracy, but everything I see says a debate should happen.  London had a nut job lose it on his way to a train station very recently, and packed his knife...............had he been able to pick up a semi auto on the way could have been v different.  They also had a soldier murdered by a knife not so long ago (yes a gun at that one as well if read all about).  Anyway yet again some muslim extremist (need read it all) .............I guess some might say if he had a gun...........50 decent and innocent people on a night out inside the Orlando club tells me again no thanks............

My view.

• alberich35
    858 Posts
    Wed, Jun 15 2016 2:39 AM

ct690911:

siggipj76:

As far i know the Fathers of the US Nation wrote   this provision into  the constitution to allow citizens to  protect themselves against a tyrannical governement and not that they are killing their fellow.

No one private fire weapon halt or prevent a terrorist attack.

Even in France where the sale of weapons is strictly regulated by law it's very easy to procure an assault rifle and many of our people know how to make explosives from fertilizers however a terrorist killed on last monday a police officer and his wife with a knife.

The problem is not the weapons.

I agree your opinion, we cant stop these guys, just the police and army kill them 
    after finding the damage. But never by an armed citizen which is just good to kill his wife or his kids by mistake or a neighbor for stories that might settle with two glasses of beer.

That's an another problem.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Wed, Jun 15 2016 2:57 AM

Canada has similar gun laws to the UK and OZ. When the American framers of the constitution drafted the 2nd amendment, there was no way to know that Uzis would eventually be included. But there you have it. It's in the constitution and not much can be done, short of a police state.

If people are determined to do harm on a massive scale, they will find a way. Car bombs, planes into buildings, poisoned water supplies.. the Air India bombing in Canada, the recent Paris bombings...I could go on.

The stats on assault weapons are compelling, but I think they are a bit skewed because an automatic weapon is the easiest way to do it. Radicalized terrorists and hate filled murderers would simply find another way if assault weapons were banned. The Oklahoma city tragedy was carried out by parking a truck loaded with farm fertilizer and other legally obtained chemicals. 

The old saying "guns don't kill people, people kill people"...comes to mind.

..to the victims, RIP.

RSS