Forums

Help › Forums

The Orlando Shootings

Mon, Jun 20 2016 2:55 AM (100 replies)
  • Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Jun 15 2016 3:12 AM

Well the Orlando shooting made the  headlines for sure, but when it takes that to do so there is something v wrong, IMO.  Orlando was not the only mass shooting and was not even half of the total deaths from guns over the one weekend gone.................I could not think of one person I know who wants a change to our gun laws in Oz or any friend in the UK too............No thanks.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Wed, Jun 15 2016 3:28 AM

Jimbog1964:
    Well the Orlando shooting made the  headlines for sure, but when it takes that to do so there is something v wrong, IMO.

It'll happen again, Jim, and again, and again...

Some will never learn - until it's an innocent loved one on the receiving end.

• alberich35
    858 Posts
    Wed, Jun 15 2016 3:44 AM

ct690911:

Canada has similar gun laws to the UK and OZ. When the American framers of the constitution drafted the 2nd amendment, there was no way to know that Uzis would eventually be included. But there you have it. It's in the constitution and not much can be done, short of a police state.

If people are determined to do harm on a massive scale, they will find a way. Car bombs, planes into buildings, poisoned water supplies.. the Air India bombing in Canada, the recent Paris bombings...I could go on.

The stats on assault weapons are compelling, but I think they are a bit skewed because an automatic weapon is the easiest way to do it. Radicalized terrorists and hate filled murderers would simply find another way if assault weapons were banned. The Oklahoma city tragedy was carried out by parking a truck loaded with farm fertilizer and other legally obtained chemicals. 

The old saying "guns don't kill people, people kill people"...comes to mind.

..to the victims, RIP.

May be in Canada, but in The United Kingdom the possession of a firearm is strictly controlled,

You have to answer a police survey   and pass  psychological exams to know why you want a firearm.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Jun 15 2016 3:49 AM

alberich35:

May be in Canada, but in The United Kingdom the possession of a firearm is strictly controlled,

You have to answer a police survey   and pass  psychological exams to know why you want a firearm.

Not googling any of this but I think it's Home Secretary sign off checking for most guns, and AFAIK to date he still has a virgin pen.  Asking the people to vote for change on that would be a big no thanks.  Oz is not quite as tight as the UK either, but way strict v the US and has been so since our Port Arthur mass shooting.

• alberich35
    858 Posts
    Wed, Jun 15 2016 4:43 AM

Do not forget that USA count suicides as a murder. If in France we count as same we will have more than 25 000 rather ours 800 official statistics

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Wed, Jun 15 2016 5:57 AM

alberich35:

Do not forget that USA count suicides as a murder. If in France we count as same we will have more than 25 000 rather ours 800 official statistics

24,200 suicides that used a gun?!

I hope no-one read my post as being judgemental or anti-American, that was not my intention. I have always wanted to travel to the USA. I grew up soaking in popular American culture in TV, films, music, literature and art. My best friends in this game are mostly Americans and they are great people.

We have a huge cultural difference when it comes to guns in our respective countries. I was trying to get answers to help me understand what you guys think and how you live with it on a daily basis. It's just such an alien concept to me that I find it fascinating.

I believe this dialogue has been intelligent and reasoned, and isn't in anyway disrespectful to the victims of Orlando.

Peace

• StephanieCA
    258 Posts
    Wed, Jun 15 2016 6:08 AM

Such a tragedy :( My prayers and thoughts go out to the victims and their families & friends. Standing strong and united, hopefully we can work towards safer communities, a safer nation and a safer world......

Steph

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Jun 15 2016 7:39 AM

PaulTon:
    I hope no-one read my post as being judgemental or anti-American, that was not my intention.

+1 paul.

Growing up you would have been about the same as me I would imagine.  Closest I got to a gun was The Sweeney or Starsky and Hutch, and that included any police walking about.  We just don't get how there could be any plus side to letting them in.  In America many don't get our stance and there just is no common ground it seems so often.

Anyway in best Aussie style perhaps this helps explain some of it:

"Jefferies says, he decided that America’s approach to gun violence is totally bonkers:

In Australia, we had the biggest massacre on earth, and the Australian government went: "That's it! NO MORE GUNS." And we all went, "Yeah, all right then, that seems fair enough, really."

Now in America, you had the Sandy Hook massacre, where little tiny children died. And your government went, "Maybe … we'll get rid of the big guns?" And 50 percent of you went, "F%^%#K YOU, DON'T TAKE MY GUNS."

Vids worth a watch, but please note the language is flowery.  If anyone is feeling not upset enough he explains his views on religion on his other channel :)

Pic goes to the YouTube link for Vid 1 of 2 on his thoughts:)

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Wed, Jun 15 2016 7:44 AM

Wheels65:
    I have not hunted anything since my time in Vietnam - funny how your perspective changes when the "game" shoots back.

Not sure whether or not you're a racist pr1ck or just coming off as one because of a poor attemp of being funny.

Wheels65:
    I do not think that "extended" clips are necessary but neither are they prohibited by our Constitution and the Constitution defines a procedure amend that.

The constitution was written long before anyone has ever heard of extended clips. And long before a truly working police force was established throughout your country. That's why people were given the right to own guns. if the situation was not such "wild west" type of thing back then, the wording could've been different.

Hard to comment on Orlando, things like that should never happen, period. My heart goes out to everyone affected.

• alberich35
    858 Posts
    Wed, Jun 15 2016 7:53 AM

PaulTon:

alberich35:

24,200 suicides that used a gun?!

I hope no-one read my post as being judgemental or anti-American, that was not my intention. I have always wanted to travel to the USA. I grew up soaking in popular American culture in TV, films, music, literature and art. My best friends in this game are mostly Americans and they are great people.

We have a huge cultural difference when it comes to guns in our respective countries. I was trying to get answers to help me understand what you guys think and how you live with it on a daily basis. It's just such an alien concept to me that I find it fascinating.

I believe this dialogue has been intelligent and reasoned, and isn't in anyway disrespectful to the victims of Orlando.

Peace

Paul.

Dispel misunderstandings, neither you nor I are in an aggressive posture. I was just talking statistics that vary across countries and over time.

Objectively we make a big deal for victims of terrorism but this is nothing to report victims of war. it seems to me that mister president Obama Nobel prize of peace sent more machines to kill human beings that has made terrorist acts.

It does not explain everything but relativize facts.

Ah yes the French would rather hang them than to use a firearm, cultural difference you were talking about.

RSS