Forums

Help › Forums

What's the point?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Feb 26 2011 9:59 PM (21 replies)
  • sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Mon, Feb 14 2011 6:03 PM

Soulcatcher, is right and Nick your a jagoff!

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Mon, Feb 14 2011 6:11 PM

I didn't eat until 3pm today,and then ate far too fast,and yet I mused to myself,there was still daylight and it was good.I was proven right much later when I noticed an almost full moon in a clear sky with a halo which brought me to thinking I should try to eat earlier tommorow.

Lizzie x

• MioKontic
    4,601 Posts
    Mon, Feb 14 2011 6:26 PM

LizzieRossetti:

I didn't eat until 3pm today,and then ate far too fast,and yet I mused to myself,there was still daylight and it was good.I was proven right much later when I noticed an almost full moon in a clear sky with a halo which brought me to thinking I should try to eat earlier tommorow.

Lizzie x

That halo Lizzie, was Simon Templar standing underneath it?

Yeah yeah, I know, I'm old.  But I'm not (at least not as old as you think)... The Saint is on every day at the moment on ITV4 at 4pm.

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Mon, Feb 14 2011 6:56 PM

A lunar halo does not always signify some perceived holiness and is thought to be caused by the refraction, reflection, and dispersion of light through ice particles suspended within  wispy high altitude cirrus or cirrostratus clouds.

As light(itself reflected from the sun) passes through these hexagon shaped ice crystals, it is bent at a 22 degree angle,(no more,no less) creating a halo 22 degrees in radius (or 44 degrees in diameter,remember Pi?).

The prism effect of light passing through these six-sided ice crystals separates the light into its various colors, giving the viewer a halo tinged with very pale rainbow colours with red on the inside and blue on the outside. The phenomenon of a lunar halo is similar to a rainbow produced by sunlight and rain falling between your eye and the sun.

Where this becomes relevant to Golf of course,is the belief that such occurrence foretells of unsettled weather,which may or may not affect ones forthcoming golfing plans.Whether you are unsettled or not,is a matter of personal choice.I have now decided that I shall definitely eat earlier and avoid a recurring unsettled stomach.That settles that then.

Now,where were we? Oh ya,Mithraism.

Lizzie xx

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Mon, Feb 14 2011 8:03 PM

LizzieRossetti:

Lizzie x

Lizzie,

Now this is interesting to me.  So what you are saying is that your belly understands what time it is, and that by eating too late in the day, it makes your belly angry with you.  Now I've never really thought of that.  Then again I've never really thought of 3 PM as late in the day either, seeing as how I'm not really off of work until around 5 PM.  I do know that by eating dinner earlier in the day, you are more likely to ward off obesity as there are more hours still left in the day to burn calories.

-Long

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Sat, Feb 26 2011 5:30 PM

Well this is true.However,the term "Belly" would seem to refer to the outer appearance of the body,even I would go so far as Carapice,were you to be referring to an invertebrate.The "belly" in a fairly strict sense,is the portion of the body that houses(or in some cases-"Holds in") those organs beneath the chestal area forming the abdomen and it is these organs,namely the duodenum,that would most likely to arouse in one the feeling of discomfort to do with food consumption.

One of the reasons for this,and by no means the only reason,is that during the process of breaking down food into nutrients,the brunner glands release or secrete alkaline mucci in support of the work carried out by the intestinal enzymes.Further aiding this vital work,the pancreatic duct adds bile to the heady mix,whose primary function is to absorb fats,along with its own enzymes which again help to break down food.One of the primary functions of the duodenum is to secrete hormones which in turn trigger the release from the pancreatic duct of pancreatic juice and of course,bile.

In another part of this process,namely the passage of foodstuffs from the duodenum to the jejunum,which is lower in the abdominal cavity,those same alkaline fluids from the brunners glands help to neutralise a product known as Chyme,which is ever present in the stomach and takes the form of an acidic substance.This has the effect of protecting the jejunum,which has a lower tolerance for the acidity of chyme.

It is this that I believe to be the cause of my discomfiture,rather than anything to do with the "belly" par se.As a matter of record I of course do not posess a belly of any great significance.

The processes described are of course all intestinular as oppposed to boneular,which would have more to do with structure as opposed to content.

Again I feel drawn to point out yet another golfing reference,lest any unkind soul would dare to suppose we were heading off piste(or topic) and that is to mention the "belly" putter,designed to be operated using the belly,or abdomen as a fulcrum for the club.A belly Putter is typically longer than a regular putter,and both are probably higher off the ground than I.

Lizzie xx

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Feb 26 2011 6:21 PM

Oh brother, my goodness, beyond belief.

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Sat, Feb 26 2011 6:23 PM

Ya ah,thats EXACTLY what I was thinking.I mean,whats the point? Why don't people just use ordinary putters?

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Feb 26 2011 6:33 PM

What is an ordinary putter? Your putter? My putter? The Tibbets putter? The AvatarLee putter? Which one? Please straighten me out.

• PGAbound67
    565 Posts
    Sat, Feb 26 2011 7:26 PM

SweetiePie:

What is an ordinary putter? Your putter? My putter? The Tibbets putter? The AvatarLee putter? Which one? Please straighten me out.

You forgot the Bollox putter.

RSS