Forums

Help › Forums

WGT has cancer

Thu, Sep 9 2010 5:24 PM (111 replies)
  • Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 2:39 PM

I guess what I am amazed the most about is the utter absolute silence from WGT. YJ and Snaike (especially Snaike out there in F.....Nahh, I can't do it :-) ) have you ever researched the business end of WGT and the investment going forth in WGT, some very interesting reading on the net!

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 2:41 PM

It would be interesting to know how much the hard core and casual players spend on WGT.  I play way too much and have averaged 15 bucks / month since starting 16 months ago ... 50 cents a day ... cheap cheap cheap entertainment ... for me anyway.

I also don't believe for a second that WGT is rolling in dough based on people buying virtual golf clubs and balls, or even on their advertising space.    They are very much in the early stages of developing a business.   If they were rolling in cash they wouldn't be using venture capitalist money --- VC's go after High Reward / High Risk projects.   There are much cheaper sources of cash than VC money.  VC is usually the last place a going concern goes to fund/grow their operations.  

Most of the players spending some money seem to forget the High Risk part of the equation.   WGT needs to get this right or they won't be around.    And while I know a lot of you disagree .. I think they're on the right track.    I like the changes and the challenge.   Just an opinion.

• WGTadmin2
    1,152 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 2:42 PM

Showtime73 and fellow players - We absolutely care about what showtime thinks and appreciate that we made a large change in the last release.  However at the end of the day we are balancing what is best for the greatest number of players but also trying to reward the most loyal.  Previous to this release we got a lot of feedback that the best players were finding the game to be less challenging and need something more. The championship tees are a bit rough on the legends but the data is showing that most legends have adapted and are scoring low again.  We hope that the new system will challenge the best players for a long time and keep you interested.  There is no doubt many things can be improved and we are taking your feedback to heart. 

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 2:46 PM

andyson:
    There's always going to be new and improved clubs and balls.  Why have 5 dots for each and every club/ball quality??

Andyson, I agree with you there.. but think of this:

How many of the 'regulars' are buying new gear with earned credits as opposed to those who are bringing "new money"?  Which market do you think WGT is going after?

Personally, I haven't spend a real dime on here in a very long time... and I would hazard a guess that the 'regulars' who are looking to upgrade their equipment (when and if WGT releases it) won't be spending real cash either.

It's all about "new money"...

(Ps... my credits come from surveys and free offers.  I am no where near good enough to win tourneys.  How many of the really good players are going to have thousands of credits banked when the 3 dot, 4 dot or even 5 dot gear shows up?)

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 2:48 PM

Thank You, but while I cannot compare myself to some of the legends on here I am have spent some money over the weekend, played a lot of rounds and seen almost no reward. But thanks for finally saying something. Getting very disheartened........and frustrated at the level I am at.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 2:49 PM

Sargenjd01:
    YJ and Snaike (especially Snaike out there in F.....Nahh, I can't do it :-) )

Thanks for the laugh, Sarge...  much needed today!  =)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 2:54 PM

Snaike:
    (Ps... my credits come from surveys and free offers.  I am no where near good enough to win tourneys.  How many of the really good players are going to have thousands of credits banked when the 3 dot, 4 dot or even 5 dot gear shows up?)

The free to you represents cash to WGT. They're not footing that bill, the sponsors of the surveys are. So instead of you paying, somebody else does. It's all income. The tier system looks like it slowed down the rate of those high credit accounts to some degree and now, with the time it will take to level up to get better stuff combined with the new business, the income will be there as long as attention is paid to the main attraction-this game. 

• ironking34
    749 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 3:20 PM

WGTadmin2:

Showtime73 and fellow players - We absolutely care about what showtime thinks and appreciate that we made a large change in the last release.  However at the end of the day we are balancing what is best for the greatest number of players but also trying to reward the most loyal.  Previous to this release we got a lot of feedback that the best players were finding the game to be less challenging and need something more. The championship tees are a bit rough on the legends but the data is showing that most legends have adapted and are scoring low again.  We hope that the new system will challenge the best players for a long time and keep you interested.  There is no doubt many things can be improved and we are taking your feedback to heart. 

I'd love the see the data that you're seeing.  I look at the scores for every ready go I've finished over the past 4 days and there are no low scores.  Actually, when a really low score is posted it's by a tour master not a legend.  I understand trying to make the game challenging but you need to also make the game fair.  For a legend to be using the same equipment as a tour master and master but hitting from a championship tee is not fair.  Also, you say balancing for the greatest number of players, I think you should have a poll question to legends only to see if they would like a new driver and see what results you get.  I've read post after post since the updated where most legends are complaining.  I believe it's 8 to 2....yes for every 8 legends that complain there are 2 that are happy with the new tier system......shouldn't majority rule?

• MJS74
    341 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 3:25 PM

I find fault with your response on two levels.  Playing a game strikes chords with the creative, emotive side of the brain, not the data driven side.  That being the case your "data" as an argument is like fighting fire with a halibut.  Saying the data shows legends are adapting and shooting low is not borne out by most people's experience.

Secondly

You recognise the unfairness on "legends", so why not come out and say, "yes, we screwed the best players to get the majority satisfied".  The best players will have wanted something more challenging, but that is not to say we wanted to give 50-60yds away on every tee shot rendering many par 4's totally unreachable in two often with only the slightest of winds.

Finally, it seems your way of rewarding loyal players who have built up a bank of credits is to make sure they don't win more. 

• MJS74
    341 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 3:27 PM

The previous post was in response to the one from WGT earlier in the discussion

RSS