Forums

Help › Forums

WGT has cancer

Thu, Sep 9 2010 5:24 PM (111 replies)
  • showtime73
    114 Posts
    Mon, Sep 6 2010 11:49 PM

i have been a member for over a year..not one time have you guys responded or gave an explanation on any e-mails or posts i wrote..except to say clean your cache..click and report the problem..b.s. wgt..i have spent a ton of money and a ton of hours here..i even put up with your 2 course b.s. and waited 4ever 4 st. andy's..it seems to me that you dont care about your old hard core people that payed and paved the way for your site..now you say its about fairness and all..i have played damn near 3000 rounds and worked my ass off to be good and you think some1 with 300 rounds should have the right to be next to me in skill is just wrong..no offense against any1 on this site at all..it just seems so fake with what you have done..3woods and 3 irons in on just about every shot is just not fun..i could give you some examples on some shots with your 10-20 mph head winds but im to pissed to talk about it..so ill say this..this game is now a joke..me and just about all 238 skype friends i have and their friends agree..thanks WGT  for taking something i worked so hard for and spent so much money on away from me..the repercussions of this however will affect you big time..SHAME ON YOU WGT

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 12:17 AM

showtime73:
    it just seems so fake with what you have done..3woods and 3 irons in on just about every shot is just not fun..

I think this is the single most important issue with WGT's most recent product update. It isn't realistic golf if you never (or very rarely) get to use your short irons or long wedges, is it?

I'm afraid that by forcing the "Legends" to play from the furthest-away tees all the time, WGT moved closer to TWO in that if you want to play a challenging game over on TWO, you need to create unrealistically difficult scenarios (galeforce wind all the time, glass-like greens, etc.), otherwise the game over there becomes too easy.

Apparently WGT wanted to make their game more difficult as well, but it looks like they may have gone overboard in this effort.

• columbiacgt
    565 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 1:10 AM

We are supposed to be the best players on this site, the equivalent of top pros in real life. The top pros always play a much harder course than the club players 'cause otherwise they'd come up with ridiculously low scores and the field would level out. So we are playing long irons and fairway woods to reach the green ?? So what ? If you want to be one of the best on the site you must be able to hit a long iron close to the pin and to putt on superfast greens. Your avg is going up ?? So what ? So are all the others.

I haven't heard the best of the best here complaining about the new conditions, only average players with an undeserved rank whining 'cause they aren't able to master a game that has suddenly become challenging.

Please stop complaining and PRACTICE.

• showtime73
    114 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 1:16 AM

on top of this game sucking with the 230-300 yrd par 3's and the 220 approach shots on beth..we get to face people like dean2110 with the whole i15 set 30-60 yrds closer...my favorite part about that is he only has 88 rounds played..wish i had it so easy..wtg wgt....great move...you wont c another dime of my money or any 1 elses   that i no..

• wsf01
    15 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 1:58 AM

To be fair to the thread originator, no matter our equipment or ball used, it can't be easy to get close when hitting long irons/hybrids because of the longer tees.  As such, the enjoyment factor of low scores is decreased.

In saying that, every course has it's shorter holes and par 5s, so just as in real life, you have to take your opportunities there.

To ease the balance between difficulty and enjoyment, I feel people should have a longer driver available to them (especially legends) as tour professionals are capable of hitting the ball further than the 275 yard average given by the R9.

For example, I'm a tour master who plays reasonably regularly though not as often as many.  I use the R9 driver and GI-S2 balls yet my driving average is only 258yards despite an accuracy of just under 85%.

That distance seems a bit low when compared to my overall game.  As such, IMHO, people should be given the opportunity to drive longer; as long as it it difficult to do so and not just a case of buying a new driver and ball.

:)

• joebowler
    38 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 3:10 AM

I do not think a 300 yard driver is the answer to this problem. since Masters a legends all have the same equipment we should tee it up from the same tee box. I would expect when I compete against a legend it should come down to who makes the best shot with the same club. I should not have a two club advantage against the player of higher skill. playing from the back tees should be an option not mandatory. playing for the tips should be reserved for tournament play such as the opens and any other tournaments

but not casual play.

fairways and greens

hit them long and straight

• columbiacgt
    565 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 3:17 AM

Just like in high level real life golf there are now holes where you can be more aggressive and holes where you are happy to get away with a par. Scrambles and sand saves become essential, you are not hitting so many GIR any more. With the superfast greens you must rest your ball so that you are left with an uphill putt, and this means you must know how the green slopes and not necerssarily aim for the pin...

Besides the swing, which is still rather elementary compared to RL, I find the new setup extremely realistic, WGT has done a great job.

Who doesn't like it can still setup a practice round from the ladies tees and score -18 every time...

On the other hand it's true that there are Masters with the same equipment as mine teeing off 50 yards in front and competing in the same RGs. But I can improve my skill if I work on it, and if they improve too they will be soon moved to a more challenging tier and their advantage will be gone.

wsf01:
    I use the R9 driver and GI-S2 balls yet my driving average is only 258yards

I have the same driver and my average is 278. I used the GI 2D until now, just recently switched to the SD, because of the added spin tht's useful on Tournament greens. I wonder if that is the reason of the difference.

I know excellent players who stick to the 255 Rapture driver and are perfectly happy with it even in these conditions.

• showtime73
    114 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 3:26 AM

i play guild matches on another site...half the people i play against every day stayed tour master..these people could beat me on any givin sunday..now they have 40-60 yrd. advantage..colum..you say if i dont like it play in practice...girly t's..big mouth 4 so few rounds played..set 1 up..i'll play you 4 max credits..

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 3:35 AM

The recent changes for me have made me realise I am not half the player the I thought I was. The strongest part of my game is now pretty much defunct as I am no longer hitting in punched wedges to the greens. My putting was ok, very good on some days but never good enough to handle tournament greens, let alone championship greens.

So I am now playing par golf with the odd -4 or -5 thrown in. I have to say that it is very hard to take and I no longer get anything like the same pleasure from the game. I loved the ready go tournaments, now it is completely pointless entering them. I felt the decision to even things up was entirely wrong prior to the changes. Moreso for the elite players in the game rather than myself. To be honest I never for a minute expected to be put in the same category as those guys. I will never see the reasoning behind punishing those that excel in favour of those that don't.

Unfortunately for me I can see my interest slowly ebbing away for the game. It's been great fun but sadly that isn't the case anymore

• wsf01
    15 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 4:16 AM

columbiacgt:

I have the same driver and my average is 278. I used the GI 2D until now, just recently switched to the SD, because of the added spin tht's useful on Tournament greens. I wonder if that is the reason of the difference.

I know excellent players who stick to the 255 Rapture driver and are perfectly happy with it even in these conditions.

I don't doubt your better ball means it will go further but it does mean you''ll be spending twice as much as me to achieve that extra 20 yards in average distance.

While we all should understand the commercial aspect of this game, it is difficult to factor in different clubs, with the different balls and resulting meters, spin and distance when debating fairness in game-play.

Strategy is an important part of the game (and certainly fun for me) but it is difficult for me to justify regular ball purchases simply to maintain 'quality' standards with other players who strictly speaking may not be better players but just richer.  Sure the game is 'free' but once we buy a set of competitive clubs we have all spent a comparative amount in terms of console/PC equivalents.

Of course, ongoing investment is agreeable (in much the say way annual versions of say Tiger Woods are subscribed to) but I'm not sure this is modelled well in WGT as yet.

Where is the line drawn between financial investment and standard quality?  That is the $64,000 question.

RSS