Forums

Help › Forums

WGT has cancer

Thu, Sep 9 2010 5:24 PM (111 replies)
  • showtime73
    114 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 11:23 AM

you are correct jim..sory to colum for saying that..it was the practice mode girly t's comment that had me fired up..any way..no amount of practice can make up the lost yardage when some 1 almost as good as you has the same clubs..jim,you have played guild matches so i hope you can understand the frustration when the same people that could beat you every other day moves up 50yds...i no its not those people fault..just hope wgt does something asap

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 11:30 AM

showtime73:
    .jim,you have played guild matches so i hope you can understand the frustration when the same people that could beat you every other day moves up 50yds

Without a doubt, Chuck. Like I said earlier, I wouldn't blame Legends for not playing lower tiers. As for Guilds, the only way to deal with it would be practice rounds and that's not such a bad thing. 

• blackbeard
    288 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 11:35 AM

With levelling up being forced upon us by the new set up, who in their right mind is ever going to play a CTTH again?

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 1:11 PM

showtime73:
    i have spent a ton of money and a ton of hours here..i even put up with your 2 course b.s. and waited 4ever 4 st. andy's..it seems to me that you dont care about your old hard core people that payed and paved the way for your site..

Sorry Showtime... You're putting way too much credit in your participation.

WGT has been through 3 rounds of funding, the most recent for $10million.

You have to realize that this 'micro-transaction' game doesn't care about any individuals.  What they care about is large numbers.  They can boast over 75 million rounds played and, apparently, 2 million members.  One of the other computer geeks can tell you how many hits per day this site gets... personally I don't really care.

With numbers that large what Showtime thinks about their business strategy doesn't amount to anything.  Don't take it personally.. they don't care what I think, either.

Apparently the game format was getting a little flat so they have come out with these new changes to get more people to play (and get others so yanked out of shape that they start multiple accounts.)  Either way, WGT gets more members on it's rolls.

So, there you have it... we just don't matter.  Sure we can think we're having a competition here, but in the end it's all about WGT and how much money they can grab in Venture Capital.

(BTW, you could go over to TWO... they'll not only sell you avatars, clothing, shot previews, etc for real money... even going so far as to charge you REAL money for greens fees... but they have thought of something that WGT hasn't...  When you buy an upgraded club for REAL MONEY it wears out in 10 - 15 rounds.

Yes,... CLUB UPGRADES AT TWO ARE TEMPORARY!  You have to "Refill" your equipment after starting <not finishing, but STARTING> 10 - 15 rounds.

Can you imagine this crowd who b!tch and moan about balls durability having to deal with CLUB durability????)

• showtime73
    114 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 1:46 PM

i no they dont care about me..but with how addicted i am to the game and how fast im losing interest..im very sure their are many more..

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 2:03 PM

Snaike:

You have to realize that this 'micro-transaction' game doesn't care about any individuals.  What they care about is large numbers.  They can boast over 75 million rounds played and, apparently, 2 million members.  One of the other computer geeks can tell you how many hits per day this site gets... personally I don't really care.

With numbers that large what Showtime thinks about their business strategy doesn't amount to anything.  Don't take it personally.. they don't care what I think, either.

They better care about Showtime, he is a "loyal repeat purchaser" who typically spend 20 times what a one time purchaser spends.  And considering less than 5% of visitors spend anything, he and others like him should be pretty important to WGT.  In July, WGT had 290K unique visitors.  Much smaller than the 2 million members.  (Hits Snaike are so 2002! When's the last time you saw a hit counter on a site?)  5% is only 14,500 paying customers.  And showtime is one of WGT's 'big spenders'.

btw, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express over the weekend and read all about microtransaction businesses Here and Here I got my site traffic info from Here

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 2:19 PM

andyson:
    They better care about Showtime, he is a "loyal repeat purchaser" who typically spend 20 times what a one time purchaser spends.  And considering less than 5% of visitors spend anything, he and others like him should be pretty important to WGT.  In July, WGT had 290K unique visitors.  Much smaller than the 2 million members.  (Hits Snaike are so 2002! When's the last time you saw a hit counter on a site?)  5% is only 14,500 paying customers.  And showtime is one of WGT's 'big spenders'.

Sorry, Andyson, I'm not buying it.  They don't seem to want to keep him around.  Now that he owns all of the equipment he's going to buy (excluding $1 for balls) WGT does not seem interested in him (or us).

Sure, there are folks here that spend money.. but everyone reaches a point where they are just spending enough to keep up.  Then WGT has to go after the new money.  New money only comes from new games.

So, WGT can instigate all these changes, sell all the gear to first time buyers, or wait for the regulars to cough up golf ball money.  Or, as mentioned above, start selling clubs with a durability rating, charging greens fees, etc etc a'la TWO.

This latest upgrade from WGT indicates to me a sea change. 

Oh, and thanks for confirming that I'm not a computer geek... I wouldn't know 'hits' from 'unique visitors', nor, as I mentioned, would I care.  =)

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 2:30 PM

Snaike:
    Sorry, Andyson, I'm not buying it.  They don't seem to want to keep him around.  Now that he owns all of the equipment he's going to buy (excluding $1 for balls) WGT does not seem interested in him (or us).

I don't buy that Snaike.  There's always going to be new and improved clubs and balls.  Why have 5 dots for each and every club/ball quality??

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 2:33 PM

I see two valid views here, both quite cogent. What I don't see is the mention of a loyal customer base. New businesses need exactly what Snaike is referring to but 3 years is the magic number for small startups. That's when the underfunding or lack of a solid customer base starts to wear on the profitability. Get past that and you're in pretty good shape.

The loyal customer base is taking shape. How many players that threaten to quit are actually going to? Get off WGT for a while and see if it sticks. It might for some but I would guess that many aren't going to stay away. I see that as a testimony to the legitimate realness of this unique presentation of the game.

The new blood (Freudian slip?) will come from that customer base expanding via word of mouth, advertising and alliances with the likes of USGA. Eventually, should they begin to provide a solid effort devoid of the current plagues (meter, meter and meter) they will be able to get out of this quasi-Beta format and have something to collect monthly fees on. I, for one, would pay for something like this with the above caveat.

Who knows, maybe one day this will be solid enough to go public. Wouldn't that be a pip?

• Laker2323
    6 Posts
    Tue, Sep 7 2010 2:36 PM

this level system sucks!!!!

RSS