Forums

Help › Forums

LET'S BE HONEST

Mon, Feb 27 2017 4:33 PM (2,573 replies)
  • Premed
    776 Posts
    Thu, Jun 4 2015 7:51 AM

What a lovely thread, seems like all cynicism dis-appearers here, I cant believe I haven't stumbled on it before.

So in the spirit of this thread I have a confession to make ........ I am not a real doctor, or a med student or connected remotely in any way to any medical profession.

I say this because I must apologise to the few people that I played match play against who just assumed I was a doctor and insisted on asking me about my studies & speciality choices etc - I should not have allowed them to believe I was a real doc (but it was just a bit of fun). On my behalf I never dispensed medical advice, always advising that without a proper examination I couldn't comment on a persons condition etc..

I was frequently amazed how quickly people were prepared to divulge (without being asked by me) their personal medical issues to, basically a total stranger. In most cases I made the other player aware that I wasn't a real doc. but in a few cases matches were cut short ""unexpected error"" and I didn't get the chance. In a few cases I just didn't have the heart to tell the other player because they seemed to be just so relieved to have somebody to talk to about their condition.

A few that I met had conditions that they hadn't spoken even to their own families about but felt free to be able to talk to a stranger anonymously, and I was happy to be a friendly ear.

So I am not a doctor but I still have a friendly ear and am happy to chat with any player during games, even if that is a case of us comparing our medical conditions because I have a few of those myself.

Happy Hitting

Pre

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Thu, Jun 4 2015 8:55 AM

Well while we are on, my father was not nicknamed "Bubbs", so yes i am his boy but then i would be called "Jimmysboy" if it were for that........Bubbs was took (by 500 hacks) so seems my nickname is Bubbs and all my friends say about my son, "is that bubbs boy", then i chose that

Now dont be too impressed with that story, i want no news reporters to my door asking for me to digress ;-)

Bubbs (boy).

• Chris1973M
    1,832 Posts
    Fri, Jun 5 2015 5:52 PM

Just wanted to say this is the best thread I have ever read on WGT......and look forward to coming back and posting about myself.....truely believe this may be the most important thread ever posted....and hope it continues!! 

Chris1973

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Fri, Jun 5 2015 7:57 PM

Hey Squirrelnutz, just checked in to see how you're doin'. Been a while. My best to ya in all your trials an' tribulations, Lord knows, we all got's our share. Keep up the good fight m'friend. Still lookin' to get a game in with ya, as time permits.

Doc :)

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Sat, Jun 6 2015 9:49 PM

I am so glad to see  this thread  still being  look  at ........   Thanks for the last few entrée .....  or post   ......                  keep this  positive  thread going  ......   :)                

• alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2015 5:00 AM

To be honest...

I visited the USA recently, GA, AL, MS, LA, TN, experienced a lot of Southern history and present life and nature, enjoyed the music on Burbon, Frenchmen and Beale Streets, held a baby gator in my hands and visited my first ever motor races - Thursday Thunder on Atlanta Motorway. Travelled with my son for ten days - a special encounter due to the usual distance in our everyday lives in Germany. Played six golf courses (including St. Andrews GA), two of them with my dear friend and host of two days, Mr. Squirrelnutz, a fine Gentleman with a helluva family! His grandchildren contended well in the races but unfortunately let the victory go. Better chance next week!

I had some reservations before from all the reports and rumour I heard from the distance over the years (security issues both ways etc.) but that proved to be secondary - we had a good time all the time, no issues at all and ev1 was welcoming and friendly. Loved to cruise through the forests (special mention to Natchez Trace south of Jackson MS and the uphill road from Fort Payne AL to Weiss Lake in the sunset). We were mightily impressed by the presentation of Ol’ Man River's live model on Mud Island, Memphis TN.

In Indianola MS, we honored the late BB King - unfortunately there was no time given for Elvis in Graceland.

Learned a lot of new words including crawfish, hash browns, grits, tator, gumbo (ehm - all related to food) - edit: NOLA -, things like 4-way stop crossings, free right turn on red <edit> pork chop pounders from a green egg </> etc.

Old memory was awakened when we boarded Steamboat Natchez for a Harbor Jazz Cruise of New Orleans. It proved to be the same vessel, Natchez IX,
    whose Calliope concert I had observed 38 years ago when both of us were still young, 2 and 23 ys resp. ;)

Eventually, I left the country with a grand bag of nice memories and a bucket list of things to do and places to go.

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2015 3:04 PM

alosso:
    To be honest...

Great story Sir ,,   Thank you 

OPY

• ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2015 4:56 PM

Good stuff alosso..  Glad you enjoyed your stay in my stompin' grounds.

• josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2015 6:42 PM

PreMed

Don't feel ashamed at taking that nickname on here, you sir are a Doctor of Humanity. Part of recovery or dealing with medical conditions is learning to talk about it. The one's that did manage to "Play Through" with you and chat about their ailments you've helped greatly. Keep up the good work!

Have a wonderful evening!

RSS