Forums

Help › Forums

New Opens ridiculous

Sat, Jul 3 2010 5:56 PM (134 replies)
  • TDHarvey
    433 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 8:58 PM

Doug

I apologized for misreading her post. I stated that and accept it. Ive been here long enough to know what the forums are like.

Tom

• JackTaylor
    225 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 9:20 PM

I will just say it in great job but it would be nice to be able to reach all fairways with beginner clubs..

• BobbyQ
    2 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 9:21 PM

Hello Doug,

I will no longer use this site.  At the age of 70 you would think I would be able to handle ups and downs better but I am truly frustrated.  I've only been a member for a few months.  I struggled at first, then began to improve and finally started shooting in the 70s using the Bethpage course.  I was very happy to attain the pro level, but made a serious mistake when I started the U. S. Open qualifying rounds at the terrible course in Pennsylvania.  I have a suggestion as I leave, fire the programmer who put the course together.  I have lost the ability to putt through no fault of my own.  There is not a golf course in the world, except possibly in the most mountainous section of Afghanistan, where a man who has played real golf all of his life can six putt from 3'. I played the course 3 times increasingly worse, the last round 120 with 60 putts. The programmer might be laughing but I'm not.  Aloha, BobbyQ signing off. 

• wntiii
    1 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 9:48 PM

This was a great game to play and spend money on credits. but until this new open came around and cant reach some of the fairways in regulation and have spent money on a driver thats get 7 extra yards and a ball to help dosnt work either. When you play on tour I believe there are better golfers and lower tours, but they all have the ability to have the same clubs. This is starting to be a big scam!

• igiveup
    110 Posts
    Wed, Jun 9 2010 11:24 PM

my only dislike of the now open courses are the bunkers. How can a ball lie in the middle of a bunker  30-40% lie and when hit with a 115 metre wedge only go 45 metres... WGT... loosen the screws on some of the parameters... bunkers and ball spin perhaps.  

The only way I have found to get distance from a bunker is to hit a punch shot... how realistic it that,....????

• rainman692
    54 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 3:55 AM

BobbyQ, don't give up. Last year it was the same, everybody had starter clubs, but tibbets shot a 61, and eventually the Open was won by a 63 or 64. On some holes (5, 9 for ex.) there was no way to reach the fairway with the tee shot, and a bogey was like a birdie. My best was 80 and the qualification cut was 71. I played and aborted hundreds of rounds, but I never thought of giving up. This year I am happily in the cut. Get proper clubs, CONCENTRATE, learn the course, and DON'T GIVE UP

BTW I saw a pro some years ago in the Masters at Augusta National miss his return 3' putt, end up in the drink, pitch from 50 yards  after taking a penalty shot, and 3 putt from there. He scored 9. Like for your 6 putt, there is no excuse for the lack of concentration

• SteveP29
    34 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 5:10 AM

rainman692:

BTW I saw a pro some years ago in the Masters at Augusta National miss his return 3' putt, end up in the drink, pitch from 50 yards  after taking a penalty shot, and 3 putt from there. He scored 9. Like for your 6 putt, there is no excuse for the lack of concentration

More often than that though, it's an anomaly in the professional game.

With this game it becomes more of a norm.

Yes, the game is very realistic, but once you've had a hole like that, you're completely out of the running, and once you have one hole like that, there are often more of the same to be had in the same round.

• columbiacgt
    565 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 5:44 AM

I agree Steve, but I miss your point. In the US Open or in the Open too, if you score a 9 or you 6 putt a green you are probably out. 

At the beginning I probably hit 40 putts per round, 4 putted 9th, made all sorts of mistakes. Now I know where to land the ball on the green so that I have an easier break, and my putting average is more or less like BPB or KW.

With these greens and given the lenght of the course there is less margin for errors, that's all. My avg has gone up from 60 to 64, but who cares ??

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 6:12 AM

SteveP29:

More often than that though, it's an anomaly in the professional game.

With this game it becomes more of a norm.

I wouldn't be so sure of that, Steve. Watching the last Masters, with the incredible live coverage available, you got to see much more of it than you do on regular TV. The number of identical oddities of this game were more than prevalent there. Lipped putts, chips hitting pins and rolling 20 feet off the green, flubs, putts running 30 feet past the hole, shots on a 150 yard par 3 getting dunked in the pond in front of the hole-it was like playing here!

It was almost eerie watching the pros do exactly what happens here. I found a new respect for the accuracy of this game watching the real thing.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 6:35 AM

@TDH - No problems Tom. Just keep hittin em straight :-) 

Hey Bobby,
    Dont give up, it can be conquered. As far as the putting goes, it actually isnt as bad as you think it is. I know - I'm dreamin LOL !!
    The trick is to take notes. Silly as it may seem I take heaps of notes on all my putts, so I know the power I need to hit the putt to get it 2 - 3 ft past the pin. I cant remember every green or every putt in the round so I write it down. Then on my next round I have something to refer to. (just like an excel spreadsheet if you like)
    With these quicker greens the initial goal should be to try and cut out the 3 + putts. No - its not easy but, if you make notes of your shots, the distance of the putt the degree of uphill or downhill and how hard you hit them, then you can make corrections on the run and very quickly you start to minimise those real bad holes, and that will start to bring your scoring down.
    Yes - it takes a degree of effort thats for sure - but it will pay off.
    Hope you keep going.
    Cheers
    Doug

RSS