Forums

Help › Forums

New Opens ridiculous

Sat, Jul 3 2010 5:56 PM (134 replies)
  • Solmsie
    1 Posts
    Fri, Jun 11 2010 7:33 AM

I don't think any1 here has ever played greens that are stimped at 13.5 or higher.IT'S A MAJOR!!!!! of course the greens are like marble....This tournament is a real test, so if ya can't play like a pro,, quit!!!!!!! try the ladies tees u wimps lol

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Fri, Jun 11 2010 4:58 PM

SweetiePie:

BolloxInBruges:
    Open courses are too easy.  Bring on the 30+ mph winds and championship green speed and we have a challenge :)

Who is we?

Him and the mouse in his pocket?

• TarheelsRule
    5,492 Posts
    Sat, Jun 12 2010 12:47 PM

Played at a member guest at Winged Foot a few years ago, the greens were 14 on the stimpmeter.  Never had an uphill 5 foot putt that you had to be delicate with before.  I watched one of my playing partners who was 2 over after about 12, five putt from 4 foot above the hole.  I also played St Andrews several years ago, with no wind and concrete fairways while the green speed was slower than you local muni.  You could hit a 2 iron off the tee well over 300 yards.  Shooting even par on that tract wasn't hard.  The biggest thing that WGT can do that the courses can't is work the green speed.  You can only make them so fast at St Andrews, the grass just won't take it.  Same at Pebble, the poa annua will die if you cut it too low, Pinehurst had the same issue when Stewart won there, although I think they have changed their green grass.

• IvaThongon
    933 Posts
    Sat, Jun 12 2010 3:04 PM

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Gave the qualifier another try today. Made a long birdie putt to start on #1, and was 4 under after 5 holes. Ended up giving back three strokes on 7, 8, & 9. -1 after 9 holes. Glitch in the game (which I reported with a screen shot) cost me a 7 on #10. With the longer holes on the back, I couldn't recover and ended up with a 72.

If I just give myself a bogey on #10, which it easily should have been, that gives me a 70. Although my best score has been a 71 in the qualifier, I think this 72 was my best round!!!

YAY!!!

• UKCats
    165 Posts
    Sat, Jun 12 2010 5:17 PM

Complete offers. I have won 300 credits, and I haven't spent a dime but, I have nice clubs. That's all it takes.

• DL3Fan
    6 Posts
    Mon, Jun 14 2010 5:39 PM

I have purchased two sets of clubs so far and still cannot qualify on either of the opens. Best round so far has been a 3 under 69 at St. Andrews with a bogie on the par 4 17th (no shocker there!).

It has become apparent to me that unless you live on this site and play numerous rounds of golf every day which is not realistic for myself and most others who work 6 days a week that you will not be able to be at a skill level needed to be able to qualify on these opens. (Not saying that some of the master tier players live here and don't work).

The programmers need to lighten up a little! Only being able to hit the ball 40 yards out of EVERY bunker and hardly being able to hit the ball 10 yards out of the weeds is absolutely ridiculous! I am a pro tier player and consistently shoot in the mid to upper 60's on all the other courses here, even with fast greens and strong winds. These courses are set up for master tier players which is frustrating because myself and plenty of other pro tier players should be able to qualify.

Between the inconsistent green speeds, hitting perfect shots that jump left or right off the club face (what’s up with that) and only being able to hit 40 yard bunker shots, I cannot and probably will not be able to qualify. Doesn't seem fair at all and that’s just my honest opinion! Maybe if I had a master set of clubs I would be able to shoot 4 under and qualify.............A 69 or 68 should be plenty good enough to qualify!

Very frustrating!!!!

• OkieX
    175 Posts
    Mon, Jun 14 2010 7:21 PM

DL3Fan:
    myself and plenty of other pro tier players should be able to qualify.

DL3Fan:
    Maybe if I had a master set of clubs I would be able to shoot 4 under and qualify...

Well DL3Fan, I'm a master with good clubs who can run my avg. down to 60 playing the other courses.  

I can't  haven't qualified.

Explain that.

• IvaThongon
    933 Posts
    Mon, Jun 14 2010 7:31 PM

DL3Fan:

I have purchased two sets of clubs so far and still cannot qualify on either of the opens. Best round so far has been a 3 under 69 at St. Andrews with a bogie on the par 4 17th (no shocker there!).

It has become apparent to me that unless you live on this site and play numerous rounds of golf every day which is not realistic for myself and most others who work 6 days a week that you will not be able to be at a skill level needed to be able to qualify on these opens. (Not saying that some of the master tier players live here and don't work).

The programmers need to lighten up a little! Only being able to hit the ball 40 yards out of EVERY bunker and hardly being able to hit the ball 10 yards out of the weeds is absolutely ridiculous! I am a pro tier player and consistently shoot in the mid to upper 60's on all the other courses here, even with fast greens and strong winds. These courses are set up for master tier players which is frustrating because myself and plenty of other pro tier players should be able to qualify.

Between the inconsistent green speeds, hitting perfect shots that jump left or right off the club face (what’s up with that) and only being able to hit 40 yard bunker shots, I cannot and probably will not be able to qualify. Doesn't seem fair at all and that’s just my honest opinion! Maybe if I had a master set of clubs I would be able to shoot 4 under and qualify.............A 69 or 68 should be plenty good enough to qualify!

Very frustrating!!!!

Not to be critical, but in the real life open, its just the ones putting the time in that qualify. Why should it be different here? Just sayin'...

BTW, I haven't qualified yet either

• DL3Fan
    6 Posts
    Mon, Jun 14 2010 7:41 PM

OkieX:

DL3Fan:
    myself and plenty of other pro tier players should be able to qualify.

DL3Fan:
    Maybe if I had a master set of clubs I would be able to shoot 4 under and qualify...

Well DL3Fan, I'm a master with good clubs who can run my avg. down to 60 playing the other courses.  

I can't  haven't qualified.

Explain that.

Well OkieX I'm entitled to my opinion. Sorry if you may have taken it the wrong way. I thought I made it clear that I wasn't speaking on behalf of EVERY master or pro tier player, perhaps I could have worded my post differently. However, I do appreciate your feedback, thank you.

Hitem strait, hope you are able to qualify!

• DL3Fan
    6 Posts
    Mon, Jun 14 2010 7:45 PM

IvaThongon:

DL3Fan:

Very frustrating!!!!

Not to be critical, but in the real life open, its just the ones putting the time in that qualify. Why should it be different here? Just sayin'...

BTW, I haven't qualified yet either

I agree with you to a certain point and appreciate your post. I hope you are able to qualify soon! GL

RSS