Forums

Help › Forums

American Flag

Sun, Apr 11 2010 10:32 PM (124 replies)
  • brandi35
    295 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 9:08 PM

Overpriced, they are....will I get them yes!  To support my Country...

No Jim, I haven't....BUT my brothers have.....PLease don't sick your brother, uncle which ever it was on me again....I still have that PM......

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 9:11 PM

Well, I guess you either accept  the difference between a flag and a graphic representation of a flag, or you don't.

No one is going to change anyone's mind here.

Sweetiepie said it best here

"I salute the freedom that allowed these things to happen, I salute the flag with respect and I reluctently respect anothers freedom not to do so. Respect the Flag."

... although I feverently, not reluctently, respect others freedoms. 

you know, a church is its people, not the building they worship in. That same sort of logic applies here.  It's very easy to hold so tightly onto a symbol that you lose sight of what it represents.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 9:11 PM

No reason to lock it Brandi35, at least not yet. It's just civil discussion of differing opinions, those of which WGT already showed interest in, and WANTS feedback on. Just gotta keep it civil, and take your own advice and WALK AWAY if it gets too irritating!

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 9:15 PM

birdwell:
     It's very easy to hold so tightly onto a symbol that you lose sight of what it represents.

Tidy's up my views on this nicely, well stated

• brandi35
    295 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 9:20 PM

Yep....I am done....like beating a dead horse.....GL to the rest of ya!!!

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 9:22 PM

brandi35:

Yep....I am done....like beating a dead horse.....GL to the rest of ya!!!

I'm right there with ya, like Birdwell just quoted, no one is going to change anyones mind, and WGT has the feedback they wanted - OUT!

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 9:38 PM

No Jim, but the post was directly after mine, there was nothing quoted, and there is somewhat of a precedent.  I wasn't sure if it was at me, Alexis, or somebody else.  It doesn't hurt to check.  Lighten up Francis.  

My previous joke on perception aside, I share similar opinions as do many posted, yet my main point of difference is what constitutes a flag and demands respect, as well as control over various interpretations.  Lapel pin aside, I don't utilize accessory choices in patriotism but I respect the right of others to do so.  The government allows these products to be sold in our country, so if people have issues with the availability than perhaps they should be voicing their opinions to their congressmen to change law.   I understand why someone, particularly those that served in time of war, might take issue, but think it's an overreaction to misguided intentions.   

Others have fought and sacrificed so I have the privilege to make the decision not to look like a joker.  Some may choose a different point of view and people may interpret that decision how they see fit.   I know I don't like to be censored so I prefer as few lines in the sand drawn as possible in regards to the freedom of choices within one's grasp.

1,644 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 9:42 PM

This thread brings to mind a quote..... "In my opinion, the greatest single failure of (western) education is that students come away unable to distinguish between a symbol and the thing the symbol stands for." - Paul Lutus

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 9:44 PM

Yes, I served, and continue my employemnt with the federal goverment... and yes I have lost blood relations in every conflict from the Civil War to Iraq.  (Unfortunately I have returned recently from a friend's funeral.  He died in Vietnam, it just took 40 years for him to realize it.)

Chief, Aceyd, and others.. I truly respect your opinion on our flag and, if this were real flags, I would be with you in your fight to keep Ol' Glory safe, sound and secure.

However, as the US Supreme Court has ruled, Flag desecration is protected under the First Ammendment.  "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." is a common Voltaire (mis)quote.  We have given people the right to do and say things that we disagree with.

This is what my family fought for.  This is what our blood has been spilled for.  From the jungles of SouthEast Asia, the Bataan Deathmarch and Utah Beach.

With all due respect to your service and your loyalty...  No, scratch that.  Not "due respect".... I give you more respect than you are simply "due", but what we are talking about here is nothing more than a cartoon graphic.  We have fought for the right of the folks at WGT to produce and market a product they think will bring in cash.  We fought for the right of folks to disagree with us.  We fought for many things.  Our society is free, and we did that.  We kept it free and will continue to keep it free as long as we can draw a breath.  There are many fights, many injustices, many wrongs that need our attention.

This isn't one of them.

Our sons, brothers, fathers, mothers, sisters and daughters are in harm's way at this very moment all over the globe... doing what we have done, serving like we did, like our fathers taught us and their fathers taught them always serving with a sense of Honor, Duty, and Country.  They need thoughts, prayers, support and godspeed on their way home.

What color the cartoon pants are in a video game should be rather low on their list.

Censorship is wrong in any form.  Well-intentioned as it may be.

Our Country is free.  You made sure it stayed free, thank you...  let's not take that away now.

Peace to you.

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 9:49 PM

Speaking for myself...I wasn't trying to change anyone's opinion.

Like that is going to happen in a forum anyway.

Wish I could say it's an age thing... but it isn't

Wish I could say it's because I served... but I didn't.

Wish I could say I'm holding tightly to a symbol...but I'm not.

I feel WGT made a mistake with the Stars and Stripes pants...only if they appear all over this site will I then know I was wrong.

RSS