Forums

Help › Forums

American Flag

Sun, Apr 11 2010 10:32 PM (124 replies)
  • chop948
    378 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 11:27 AM

Having had numerous family members and friends that have served our great nation, I am disappointed that WGT has decided to go in this direction.  There are many other areas of attention that this game needs and one is not to be putting our American Flag on a pair of pants.  Many members here are Veterans of our service and should have little more  respect directed towards them.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 12:04 PM

smason77:

First and foremost pant legs touch the ground and any true patriot knows that the American flag should never touch the ground by ANY means.

Nor should it be sat upon.

Thank you for your service Smason. Stay safe.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 12:14 PM

BOFFMEN:

Richard4168:

I plan on giving a proper burial of the old flag.

Which ironically means to burn it.

NO, I'm going to bury it. A ceremonial cremation of the American flag is acceptable as well.

• SCPOUSN
    24 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 1:50 PM

My post below was initially intended for one indiviual.  But I have changed it after reading past page 5 of this post.  Although WGT is is a virtual game, the symbol of our flag is NEVER VIRTUAL and NEVER A GAME.  If you take offense or are upset with what I have written then it was intended for you.  For those of you that feel the way as Most Americans do, I applaud you and stand beside you.  And by the way, I do know the law that Supreme Court has made.  I just don't recommend that you EVER do it in my presence.

As a retired 22 year Navy veteran and American I respect your right to free speech however I think you are clearly an Idiot.  Maybe you should take some time to read about the U.S. Flag Code and etiquette.  Or maybe you should stand up and fight for the Flag that is placed on the coffins of the men and women that give you a peaceful and easy nights rest.   

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html

• SLASHX
    278 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 4:05 PM

I personally feel that intent is a factor here. I dont see how this is honesty that big a deal simply because we are talking about virtual clothing on a virtual golfer in a virtual golf game and the intent in my opinion of wgt in creating these avatars was so that we as patriotic Americans could in fact have an avatar that allowed us to express our patriotism.

That being said... if this were a clothing manufacturer and not a golf game and they were manufacturing real clothing with the American flag and people were actually going to be wearing an American flag on their asses then i would have an issue with it but honestly i fail to see why this is such a big deal since the only thing i can see coming of it is the ability for patriotic Americans to show their patriotism in a virtual golf game. i don't see the issue honestly... if anything i would think people would embrace the chance to display pride in their country since there isnt any disrespect in anyway intended by WGT and afterall we are talking about a virtual frigging avatar in a game so lets keep this in perspective guys. This isnt an instance of an American flag being disrespected... the intent is exactly the opposite. This is not an American flag by the way...it is a representation of our flag for the purpose of allowing Americans to express our patriotism and show our pride in our country. Isnt that what the flag is anyway... a symbol of our country that we use to express our patriotism and show that we believe in what being an American means? We dont go to war for our flag we go to war for what our flag symbolizes... what being an American means.

PS... yeah i have served as have members of my family for generations so dont go there.

Lighten up.

• AlexisStarfire
    78 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 5:08 PM

The reason for my statement about a US Gunship

Overview

5th April 2010 10:44 EST WikiLeaks has released a classified US military video depicting the indiscriminate slaying of over a dozen people in the Iraqi suburb of New Baghdad -- including two Reuters news staff.

The video, shot from an Apache helicopter gun-site, clearly shows the unprovoked slaying of a wounded Reuters employee and his rescuers. Two young children involved in the rescue were also seriously wounded.

Official footage from the gunship: http://collateralmurder.com/

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 5:21 PM

This thread is like a car crash.  I don't want to see it but I just can't help but look.

The subject of one's sense of country, is much like one's sense of religion or politics.  These topics tend to polarize opinion and are often better left unsaid when different people with different backgrounds come together.  Allowing this to perpetuate is asking for trouble.

I think the only thing we all agree on is the delightful display of that young lady's patriotism.  Some here apparently wish to remove her stars and stripes but I fear that she lacks actual military training and going commando would put her at risk for an uninvited invasion as she may have suiters approaching from both flanks.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 5:44 PM

YankeeJim:
    Did you serve Brandi?

We usually serve Brandy, but I prefer Tea.  

OaktheToke:
    I think the only thing we all agree on is the delightful display of that young lady's patriotism.  Some here apparently wish to remove her stars and stripes

Not me, I'm no fan of silicon and chemistry in general.    I do respect Silicon Valley.

GITrDONE:
    Our Military has been all over the world and the first thing the people see when we get there is our flag.

The trouble is, this makes the US military and flag highly unpopular in many parts of the world. Many Americans seem to be oblivious of this fact. Then reading this thread gives you a bizarre feeling. It's nice to be patriotic, but "in-your-face patriotic" might be too much. Which might include both the idea of a flag-like attire, and some of the impassioned comments submitted to this thread.

My compatriots usually tell me I'm over-the-top pro-American in my beliefs, but as you can see, I do draw the line somewhere.  

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 6:09 PM

Now I should be unpatriotic because another country don't like the U.S.A. ?

I think I'll just keep on honoring a Military worth honoring and respecting a Flag worth respecting.

• MacDermot25
    25 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 6:13 PM

lol, good call!

RSS