Sun, Apr 11 2010 10:32 PM (124 replies)
  • lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 6:18 PM

:D

• AlexisStarfire
    78 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 6:21 PM

I think instead of the Star and Stripes, you should put an American Gunship Helicopter shooting people would be more iconic..

• rehill
    431 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 6:43 PM

AlexisStarfire:

I think instead of the Star and Stripes, you should put an American Gunship Helicopter shooting people would be more iconic..

LOL. Someone would find that disrespectful...

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 7:09 PM

Equating an actual American flag to a pair of novelty pants is not even close.  One is a symbol that's words can't even do justice and another is a mildly clever, albeit tacky way to display one's patriotism.  Asking to censor certain forms of expression is actually going against the very foundation the flag was built on in the first place.  

And if the crotch of that chick's bikini is a disrespectful place to be than I'm a shameful, shameful person.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 7:17 PM

Sad.  Very sad.

• rehill
    431 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 7:22 PM

OaktheToke:

And if the crotch of that chick's bikini is a disrespectful place to be than I'm a shameful, shameful person.

I second this.

• TaterNater
    545 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 7:23 PM

ok folks, for those who u that have never served, 8 years army recently retired/got out, i can see ur point as no big deal. BUT for those of us who have, it is a big disrespect to those who have lost their lives honorably for their country.. People tend to take their freedom lightly. until u see how many who have died for this great nation, visit arlington cemetary. when u see this u'll understand what that means. u'll understand the protesters of this post.for me im grateful for each and every1 of em thats risks their lives each and every day. iv'e been in there shoes and have the upmost respect for them as u should as well.. The Flag means more to those who have served and died for this great nation enough said!!!!!

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 7:23 PM

VanHalenLover:

It happens every 4 years and for countless countries. 

Let's see practicing and working out for 4 years to represent myself.

Or …

Taping a 8 centimeter piece of paper to my computer screen to play virtual golf, while my wife rolls her eyes...to represent my country.

Yeah it’s the latter...got to be the latter

It’s not a military flag; it’s the flag of the United States of America, meaning you and me.

And because of that there is just a certain amount of respect it deserves.

Hey… put a flag on my avatar’s golf sleeve and I’ll buy it tonight.

Nothing else for me to say…play well.

• brandi35
    295 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 7:27 PM

LOL @ Oak.....sick, but funny......with that being said.....

This has been an interesting thread to read.....some valid points....I admire all of the USA soldiers past, present, and future.  HOWEVER...these are virtual golf clothes, come on!!!!

I do SO want to hear what the pant haters have to say about the USA Olympic clothing......come on....let's hear it!!!!

Civil Debate....keep it friendly....but I personally think you were all just called out on that one!!!!

JMO

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 7:33 PM

Hi Boffmen, 

Absolutely no disrespect intended, in fact, I was trying to show examples that went against the rules of proper uniform use, that seem to be widely accepted, even though that is the argument brought here to base the viewpoint against wgt's avatar attire. The Bikini shot was added only tongue-in-cheek.

I agree that the flag deserves respect, and I think this entire debate comes down to differing opinions of what constitutes (no pun intended) respect. To me, the freedoms that you and others fight for are much more important that the symbol that represents it. That doesn't mean the flag doesn't deserve respect, just that I have a lot more latitude for that discussion that I would, say, a discussion about the rights that you and others defend that allow us to wear attire that symbolizes the flag.  

RSS