Forums

Help › Forums

American Flag

Sun, Apr 11 2010 10:32 PM (124 replies)
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 8:41 AM

Pretty astonishing for someone from a small country to read these comments... I'm afraid institutions like armies are held in contempt by large sections of the population over here. Our experience with armies has mostly been to see foreign armies march over our territory in order to occupy it for the next 5, 10, or 50 years as part of their imperialist ambitions. Those are, of course, presented as "fighting for peace and safety" in the home countries. After the Russian army fell over our country in 1968, my Father as "a prominent academician" was asked to sign a paper approving of the invasion. He refused, got fired, and had to take on menial tasks.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 8:47 AM

NormH3:

ChristopherRouss:

Did you retire or were you forced because you couldn't handle the enemy mocking you?

Everyone here is entitled to an opinion, but your comment is clearly uncalled for.

I'm with you on that Norm. ChristopherRouss needs to issue an apology for that idiotic remark.

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 9:16 AM

Everyone makes a mistake in life...

WGT made a big one by trying to cash in on someone's (expected?) patriotism.

They are butt ugly and way overpriced.

Hint to other forum writers:

(It’s not hard to make your point without the use of “caps on” or multiple exclamation points…it really isn’t)

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 9:37 AM

Faterson:

Pretty astonishing for someone from a small country to read these comments... I'm afraid institutions like armies are held in contempt by large sections of the population over here. Our experience with armies has mostly been to see foreign armies march over our territory in order to occupy it for the next 5, 10, or 50 years as part of their imperialist ambitions. Those are, of course, presented as "fighting for peace and safety" in the home countries. After the Russian army fell over our country in 1968, my Father as "a prominent academician" was asked to sign a paper approving of the invasion. He refused, got fired, and had to take on menial tasks.

I knew for many years a native Hungarian who fled the Soviet tanks and guns in 1956, so I think I can properly address your comment.

In America our flag is a symbol of our nation, not of our military. We proudly display our flag, not only on holidays, but many display it daily. Most all Americans also are strongly against any irreverent display of our flag, but are also ready to defend the right of others to show disrespect to it.

Think of your nations most respected symbol and imagine someone spitting on it and otherwise showing contempt for it and what it represents. Then maybe you can understand how many here feel. This is a very emotional subject.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 9:42 AM

usw1748:
    I am an American and I am damn proud of it. Are you saying if I was British I should be more proud, I think not?

usw1748, I think he is speaking about the avatar, not about being American.

Were I a British citizen I would indeed be proud. But not of the way they cook beef. :)

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 9:45 AM

As with most "issues" there are two sides to every story and two ways to look at things.

WGT thought people would generally be HAPPY about showing off which country they are proud of, and yes they were right, and people will buy these things to do just that (although fashion-wise I'm not sure how many will like them).

The other side of the coin of course is people who are admittedly "over-sensitive" to certain uses of flags. 

However as someone pointed out, you can buy towels that are flags, and you sit your bluddy ass on the towel???? Are you going to leave the beach because someone is using this towel?  They lay it down on the sand, on the potentially dirty ground, and sit their ass down on it?  Are you going to walk up to them and tell them they should be ashamed to do something like that to the towel?  You better have your fighting boots on because you will likely largely insult this person who is proud to own such a towel, perspective.

Its a towel, or a pair of pants, or a shirt, or a virtual pair of pants that shows the flag of the country your proud of, NOT an actual flag.  Its also NOT something directly associated with an ASS, that is where the argument is just goofy.  Its like saying because I am wearing leather pants I might as well be having sex with a cow?  LOL  sry couldnt resist that one but it makes a point. Anything that shows off a flag is done so for the people that want to show that they are indeed proud of their country, not because the bluddy (Insert country) shirt they are wearing will get all sweaty and stinky so it defaces it.

Sorry, I do like to look at both perspectives and always keep an open mind but I just don't see any valid reasoning on why a flag can not be displayed on a hat, shirt, towel, pants, a car or anywhere where other people will see it.  People paint their faces with the flag when they go to hockey games, but they shouldn't do that either because then SNOT will get on the flag?  Really come on.... 

If you say toilet paper should not show a flag then you have a good argument....

• NormH3
    214 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 10:03 AM

OK folks, for your reading pleasure

American Flag Etiquette. Federal law stipulates many aspects of flag etiquette. The section of law dealing with American Flag etiquette is generally referred to as the Flag Code. Some general guidelines from the Flag Code answer many of the most common questions:

The flag should be lighted at all times, either by sunlight or by an appropriate light source. The flag should be flown in fair weather, unless the flag is designed for inclement weather use.

The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.

The flag should not be used for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.

The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard.

The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.

The flag should never have any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind placed on it, or attached to it.

The flag should never be used for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything. When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.

The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary. When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.

As posted here http://www.usa-flag-site.org/etiquette.shtml

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 10:22 AM

Way to go Norm. Like all others, your a great American.

I wanted to mention, I proudly display an American flag in my front yard on a 24' flag pole and my wife and I just bought a new 3x5 American flag yesterday to replace the old weathered one.

I plan on giving a proper burial of the old flag.

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 10:37 AM

Richard4168:

I plan on giving a proper burial of the old flag.

Which ironically means to burn it.

The flag avatars should go...the arguments for them don't even pass Debate Club 101.

They may however make the Glee Club.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 10:45 AM

Thanks for all of your discussion on this subject everybody.  We are listening to your comments on this matter.  Suffice it to say we certainly had no intention of disgracing the flag or offending our members in any way, shape or form.  The pants were only intended to allow players to show their patriotism and we thought many folks would enjoy wearing their colors proudly.

As of now I can't predict what will happen on this matter going forward, but I'm sure going to pass this along so your comments are heard.

Thank you for keeping the discussion civil.

RSS