Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Legend tier

Thu, Apr 29 2010 4:16 PM (56 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Apr 29 2010 4:59 AM

uoducks63:
      A handicap system will level the playing field, but for the really good players they will still win their fair share.

Not to mention the fact that there could always be scratch tournaments as well as hdcp ones.

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Thu, Apr 29 2010 5:43 AM

A handicapping system for tournaments only works if everyone plays by the rules.  Unfortunately this will never work.   As in real golf there are always those who pad their scores (i.e. sandbag) and shoot much better in tournament play than when they try to establish a handicap or qualify for a tourney.    I'll stick with coming in middle of the pack in scratch tourneys as opposed to playing in handicap tourneys.

Tier level tournaments make the most sense ... don't mix them.   If you want to play for the big bucks (credits) ... practice and move up the ranks like the real golfers do ... i.e. local tournaments, Nationwide Tour, PGA tour.   I would love to see some 500 credit tourneys based on tier where the payouts were credits and not prizes.    Have a 4 round tourney ... top 120 after 2 rounds continue ... Top 70 get paid ... just like the PGA.  But do it on a tier level.

• resozv
    895 Posts
    Thu, Apr 29 2010 6:07 AM

Ok I've given my aye for a new tier. Tier specific tourneys sound good too. Also as we discussed yesterday lvi ... handicap option for people who want to play that way. But handicap tourneys would ONLY be viable, once WGT figures out how to stop sandbagging. So if you can't pull off a -5 for 9 holes and -10 for 18 holes, here's your chances of cashing in big .......

Oh & thanks for the name calling there on page 5, Mr. 65 average whose won over 8100 credits.

A few questions before I go ... In online poker do the "Elite" players only get 4 cards? Or how 'bout Guitar Hero. Do the best of the best only get 4 frets instead of 5? In the shoot 'em up games, do the Green Beret level players get any less bullets? hmmmmmm

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Apr 29 2010 6:07 AM

lvietri:
    Have a 4 round tourney ... top 120 after 2 rounds continue ... Top 70 get paid ... just like the PGA

This is what I've said all along. These tournaments would need to have a cut, and would have to be completed to count. There could even be multiple entries on a weekly basis, along with single player tournaments to compete for Cr from their perspective tires. This is the most realistic way to set it up. It's definitely a way to stop the quitters in a multi-player, tournament situation.

• iukine
    195 Posts
    Thu, Apr 29 2010 12:10 PM
    OK OK, sorry resozv, I thought you were being a wise guy, and upon further inspection of your statement I see your point. Here's the rub though, my average is the result of skill and luck, underline luck! If you check my stats more carefully you'll see that I've never won a tournament and I really don't care about that, it's the competition I enjoy. I can remember maybe 4 or 5 tourneys that I've come within 2 or 3 strokes of the lead, the rest of the time it's 7 to 9 strokes off the lead. what I and some of the other players are suggesting is to level the playing field, wether with more tiers or a h-cap system. This would benefit you too! And I'm pretty sure there are alot more folks out there who haven't even chipped in(pun intended) their 2 cents that feel the same way! Like I said before, the ball is in WGT's court right now, I'm sure they can come up with a solution that will help keep the competitiveness in this game.
  • lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Thu, Apr 29 2010 12:46 PM

Hi Iukine ... I hear and understand what your saying.  Unfortunately in WGT as in Real Golf ... any handicap system relies on the honor of the golfer to play their best  on every hole during each round and to record their scores correctly.      Sandbaggers post scores higher than their actual ability in order to get more handicap strokes.   There will always be players willing to put up some big numbers .. in order to inflate their scores and increase their handicaps.  (by the way, while I'm sure you understand but for others reading this ... Quitting does NOT help sandbaggers ... it hurts them as it protects their handicap.)

Point in fact --- in real golf I play one or two USGA sponsored "handicapped" tournaments every year.   While I don't contend ... every single time I play there are folks who come in with an 18 handicap that miraculously shoot the best round of their lives.    It happens in the public county tourneys also .. and in every golf club I have played tourney's at.   It's a fact of life .... and has gotten worse since the USGA has allowed people to put their own scores in via the internet ... rather than having scores verified by a playing partner and posted by the club professional. 

Personally I think it will be impossible for WGT to come up with a solution outside of adding several tiers --- doing qualifying tournaments --- and offering bigger prizes as you move up in tier, thus giving people incentive to practice and learn the game.   In my humble opinion leveling the playing field so everyone, regardless of skill level, can compete equally would not be good for WGT at all.  

Now what I wouldn't mind is an option before a match play where the players can "discuss" and give strokes for that particular 1 on 1 match.   That would be fun.   :)

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Thu, Apr 29 2010 4:16 PM

I don't understand the argument against the handicap system. 

IF it is based ONLY on tourneys, then sandbagging means they are losing tournaments to which the handicap is based on so they would be losing by trying to do it......let them sandbag all they want, they lose and they lose!

This cant get any simpler. 

The Handicap system based on just all your plays or any plays, yeah of course that wont work.

FTR - I think only about half of all tourneys should be handicap based.

RSS