Forums

Help › Forums

New courses?

Thu, Mar 29 2018 1:49 PM (94 replies)
  • Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Tue, Jan 2 2018 7:33 PM

mossbacker:
    I am waiting patiently for Shot Online to be Released on Android, then the massive exodus from WGT will begin.

This is exactly the kind of thing that a bunch of people loudly shouted in the forum a few years ago leading up to the release of Perfect Parallel (or whatever it's now called). That was going to be the final reckoning for WGT they said, it had loads more features, courses etc. they said, it had no jerky meter they said, they couldn't wait to leave, they said, thousands would be leaving by the week they said.

Well that didn't work out so well for them and at least some are back and pretending like it never happened.

You may be right about people leaving once the Android edition of Shot Online is released. I'm not a mobile player and that side of the game doesn't interest me. From what I can see of Shot Online it's just another arcade game and it interests me even less. But good luck with it, if that's your kind of game.

The PC version of WGT is still where my heart's at. I still love the graphics and gameplay and most of the rinkydink stuff from the mobile platform has not infected the PC version thankfully. Sure it's pretty disappointing if there won't be a new course this year, and I imagine that will be the final straw for some players who are currently just hanging on by their fingernails. But I'll still be here because I'm not bored with it, I still enjoy hanging out with my friends here and still, to my mind, no other online golf game (on the PC) gets close to it.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Wed, Jan 3 2018 2:14 AM

BobApollo:
    2020 at Winged Foot, which is a private course, so not getting that course on WGT for 2 years from now.  

The idea that we can't get private-member courses here is not quite right, as we have had some intensely private courses already (e.g. Olympic, Merion, RSG, the late Oakmont). The question is, does WGT have a strong enough position with the USGA to force courses hosting the US Open to be released on WGT?

Pay-for-play courses, however fancy they might be (e.g. Pebble Beach), have a financial incentive to be on WGT because it can generate business. The truly private courses - quite the opposite. Not only do they not need to generate business, they have long waiting lists for membership. As far as they're concerned, WGT means exposing their precious layouts to the rude gaze of the world - right down to the finely trimmed short hairs on their greens.

Shinnecock and Winged Foot are about as snooty and exclusive as they come. They're happy to enjoy the prestige of hosting US Opens, but they would let WGT onto the grounds only if the USGA held their feet to the fire. 

• BobApollo
    2,039 Posts
    Wed, Jan 3 2018 1:41 PM

Torrey Pines Golf Course

Torrey Pines Golf Course is a 36-hole municipal public golf facility on the west coast of the United States, owned by the city of San Diego, California. It sits on the coastal cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean in the community of La Jolla, just south of Torrey Pines State Reserve. Opened 60 years ago in 1957, it was built on the site of Camp Callan, a U.S. Army installation during World War II.

Here we go!!!   The course for the US OPEN in 2021.  It's a municipal public golf facility, that's what it says.

3 1/2 more years of WGT, a piece of cake.    I hope my mouse button finger isn't so slow that it takes me two swing and misses on a lot of my shots, before I even hit the ball.

• chips68
    248 Posts
    Sat, Jan 6 2018 12:42 AM

I keep hearing people talking about a mass exodus coming. Well I doubt that unless someone else comes up with a better product. 

I've played quite a few different online golf games and none are even close to WGT.

The phone app is the future and they will probably invest more in that.

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Wed, Jan 10 2018 8:31 PM

Be patient ... we will get Shinnecock Hills this year and after that it's what ...?

Pebble (which we have) then Winged Foot and Torrey Pines ...

So savor the courses we have plus Shinnecock and you'll be just fine ...

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Wed, Feb 7 2018 10:35 AM

donsprintr:
    Be patient ... we will get Shinnecock Hills this year

I'll believe it when I see it. We should find out in a couple of weeks.

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, Feb 7 2018 10:51 AM

I've got my doubts about Shinnecock only because I can't see Topgolf going to the expense and trouble to shoot a new course.

Would love to be pleasantly surprised.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 7 2018 10:52 AM

mkg335:
    I've got my doubts about Shinnecock

Been trying not to think this. Half hoping there's a contract somewhere.  :-(

RSS