Forums

Help › Forums

Tiers and Avg Scores

Sun, Nov 20 2016 12:49 AM (122 replies)
  • saltiresfan
    2,266 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2012 9:50 AM

It's funny; I actually find Kiawah quite tricky :p

Bit annoyed now as I just played a practice front 9 at Bethpage off the Champion tees and shot under par with only 11 putts. Haven't played that well off the Master tees yet...

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2012 3:34 PM

Bethpage will be easier when you discover how to birdie the first hole :)

OTOH, it used to take back two strokes from me between 10 to 12 before I got the long driver.

Of course you must know where to hit the ball on KIA, but generally it seems easier to me than mean OAK or long CCC.

Alas, ev1 to his liking!

• Milltycoon
    4 Posts
    Mon, Apr 16 2012 4:29 AM

I had had the same question as several other people.  This information does help explain things a lot.  Thank you.  But as per game design, it is a disaster.

I am a Tour Pro.  My average is just over 69.  In my entire time of playing WGT (at least 200 rounds), I have maybe 7 times shot 69 or better.  My lowest ever score is a 67 on St. Andrews.  I wish I were better, but lots of 2-putts and 2 or 3 errant drives per round, and my real average is probably about a 75.  Again, I have only show under my "average" a handful of times.  Eventually, I will get another few lucky/good rounds and I will be tiered into a Master (because my average only goes lower, never higher).  At that point, I will be lucky to ever break even par again on any course.  And once I tier up, I can never return, even if the tier is too hard for the consistent state of my game.  So I have a complete disincentive to ever play the easier courses, or if I do play them, I dread having a good round.  It should be the opposite--players should be excited about good rounds and not have to think about (essentially) getting penalized for them.

I want to stay at Tour Pro until or unless my game improves enough that I can be competitive as a Master.  This isn't a case of my sandbagging--my given "average" is clearly much lower than my actual average is, but WGT doesn't show the 10 games where I shoot in the 70's, only the 1 game where I shoot a 68 and it lowers me.  My goal is not to level up as high as I can and shoot a bunch of 87's as a "Legend" someday.  My goal is to be able to play a good, relaxing round of (virtual) golf at a level where I am comfortable.  I understand the need to prevent Legend-caliber players from manufacturing "80 averages" and staying in lower tiers so they can thoroughly dominate inferior competition.  But is this REALLY the best way to do things?  To force players on the bubble of over-tiering into hoping that they play poorly enough to just barely avoid walking through a one-way door to a needlessly harder game?

• TrufflIE
    524 Posts
    Mon, Apr 16 2012 9:27 AM

Milltycoon:

I had had the same question as several other people.  This information does help explain things a lot.  Thank you.  But as per game design, it is a disaster.

I am a Tour Pro.  My average is just over 69.  In my entire time of playing WGT (at least 200 rounds), I have maybe 7 times shot 69 or better.  My lowest ever score is a 67 on St. Andrews.  I wish I were better, but lots of 2-putts and 2 or 3 errant drives per round, and my real average is probably about a 75.  Again, I have only show under my "average" a handful of times.  Eventually, I will get another few lucky/good rounds and I will be tiered into a Master (because my average only goes lower, never higher).  At that point, I will be lucky to ever break even par again on any course.  And once I tier up, I can never return, even if the tier is too hard for the consistent state of my game.  So I have a complete disincentive to ever play the easier courses, or if I do play them, I dread having a good round.  It should be the opposite--players should be excited about good rounds and not have to think about (essentially) getting penalized for them.

I want to stay at Tour Pro until or unless my game improves enough that I can be competitive as a Master.  This isn't a case of my sandbagging--my given "average" is clearly much lower than my actual average is, but WGT doesn't show the 10 games where I shoot in the 70's, only the 1 game where I shoot a 68 and it lowers me.  My goal is not to level up as high as I can and shoot a bunch of 87's as a "Legend" someday.  My goal is to be able to play a good, relaxing round of (virtual) golf at a level where I am comfortable.  I understand the need to prevent Legend-caliber players from manufacturing "80 averages" and staying in lower tiers so they can thoroughly dominate inferior competition.  But is this REALLY the best way to do things?  To force players on the bubble of over-tiering into hoping that they play poorly enough to just barely avoid walking through a one-way door to a needlessly harder game?

Your average needs to be around 66 to make master...

so "a few lucky rounds" wouldn't even get you close.

you shouldn't worry about it, so play and have fun.

besides, you'll find yourself shooting lower than you ever did when you tier up... 

Longer tees tend to sharpen your game..

• DynamiteTommy
    172 Posts
    Sat, Jun 15 2013 7:18 PM

Kia doesn't even have wind. easiest course on the game next to st andrews front 9

• FBudd
    208 Posts
    Sun, Jun 16 2013 9:02 AM

DynamiteTommy:

Kia doesn't even have wind. easiest course on the game next to st andrews front 9

You're the first person to post in this thread in a year.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sun, Jun 16 2013 9:05 AM

DynamiteTommy:

Tell me that when you reach Legend. :-)

• sliceapottomus
    11 Posts
    Thu, Jun 20 2013 11:40 AM

I have been playing for almost two months. figured just another pay to play"well" themed game. not getting any of my money ... Yeah right I caved..lol. Got to tour pro  rounds were fluctuating at even par give or take two or three strokes for difficulty. played a ready go and won. and bang master here  I come. reached master with 74 stroke average.... hmmmmmmm. great thanks wgt

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Thu, Jun 20 2013 12:27 PM

Sincere congrats, Slice!

RSS