Forums

Help › Forums

Tiers and Avg Scores

Sun, Nov 20 2016 12:49 AM (122 replies)
  • LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Fri, Mar 4 2011 3:21 AM

Richard4168:

Isolator, you'll need to get your average below a 63 and you'll be a Tour Master. You have enough ranked rounds to advance to Tour Master. Its all about average now. Get your average below a 61 and you'll be a Legend. This will take some very well played ranked rounds to achieve. As you keep lowering your average in the Tour Master tier, you'll need to keep posting better and better scores to lower your average.

For Tour Master, you'll need to post 33's or lower at a 62.xx average. When you turn Legend with a average lower then 61, your average will reset and you'll need to post very low scores to keep your average low. Your average is going to climb in most instances when you become a Tour Master or a Legend, but will lower if you shoot low scores. 

Here's the WGT secret. No one knows how many ranked rounds that need to be played before ones average stops increasing with par or higher ranked rounds. I'm guessing it's around 75 ranked rounds, maybe more after a player advances tiers. Then your average will lower on sub 34 ranked round scores, and stay the same on par or higher ranked round scores, only after you've reached that secret bench-mark of ranked rounds played. Your average as a Tour Master or a Legend will of course lower if you keep shooting exceptional low scores. But that one or two bad ranked rounds will raise your average considerably until you've reached WGT's secret bench-mark of ranked rounds after advancing to a new tier.

I hope this helps.

Does this means that I can keep on scoring in TM tee under 61 (which in theory is the legend bench mark) for about 70 rounds before turning legend?, (have scored only 5 times as TM & I'm already 58 average)...that is going to take me ages!

Cheers, Eric

• genorb
    1,255 Posts
    Fri, Mar 4 2011 4:41 AM

Richard4168:

Here's the WGT secret. No one knows how many ranked rounds that need to be played before ones average stops increasing with par or higher ranked rounds.

Normal 0 21 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

There is no secret about the minimal number of ranked round you have to play to move from one tier to the next one. You can determine it easily.

The way the average score is computed is quite simple.

The average is computed using only your X best ranked/scored games (played in CC, tournaments, alone etc). Notice also that if you subscribed to a tournament being pro, for example, and then your turn tour pro at some point and you still play this tournament as pro (because the tournament is not yet ended), those games count in your tour pro average (as well as ranked games denoted "all players").

The number X depends on your tier (see below for the numbers I know for the moment). When your number of scored games is below this X value, your average is a normal average: you add all your scores and divide by the number of games. Pay attention that a score obtained on a 9 holes should be extrapolated to a score obtained on a 18 holes by multiplying it by 2 (so 33 on a 9 holes will count as 66).

Once you have played X games or more in your tier, your average will NEVER increase anymore because only your best games are taken into account, so at that point it can only decrease or stay stationary after each game. This also explain why when you have played X or more scored game, your average can decrease even if you do a score above your average (for example if your average is 70 and your worse score among your X best scores is 80, if you do 75, this 75 score will replace the 80 and your average will decrease even if 75 is larger than your actual average score of 70).

Here is simple example. Assume that X = 3 (to make it short). You play 2 ranked games with scores 60 and 70. Your average is simply (60+70)/2 = 65. if you play a third game with a score of 68, your average is then simply (60+70+68)/3 = 66. BUT now if you play a fourth game (you have thus play a number of games larger than the minimal number required for tier advancement) and score 67 (which is above your actual average of 66), only your 3 best games are taken into account and your average will be (60+68+67)/3 = 65 (you drop the worse result). So your average decreases even if you score above your average. So this example also shows that it is easy to determine X for each tier. Indeed, when you have play 3 games (in this example), the average you computed was equal to 66 (see above) and coincided with the average displayed by WGT. However when you have played 4 games, the average you will compute using all your games (because you don't know in advance that X=3) is (60+70+68+67)/4 = 66.25 while WGT will display 65 (because they drop the 70 game and use only X=3 games to compute the average). So the two average do not coincide when you have played 4 games while they was identical when you played 3 games, so you know that X=3. So you know now how to determine X and how to compute your average when your number of ranked games are larger than X (by droping gradually your worse results)

I didn't pay attention about that when I was amateur and pro, so for these two tiers I do not know the value of X (but this is quite low). What I know for sure is that when you are Tour pro X = 25 and when you are Master X = 40. I do not know yet for higher tiers because my actual number of games I played as Tour Master is apparently still below X. But X increases as you get higher tiers.

Now to be complete, you advance tier when you have played at least X scored games AND when your average score is below some value. Again I am not completely sure about the numbers for amateur and pro (so I report what I found on this forum).

When your average score is equal or smaller than 100 you go from hack to amateur

When it is equal or smaller than 80 you go from amateur to pro

When it is equal or smaller than 72 you go from pro to tour pro (sure about this one)

When it is equal or smaller than 67 you go from tour pro to Master (sure about this one)

When it is equal or smaller than 63 you go from Master to tour master (sure about this one)

When it is equal or smaller than 61 you go from Tour master to legend (hope to check one day).

Hope this help,

Best regards

• isolater
    426 Posts
    Fri, Mar 4 2011 5:09 AM

thank you richard  that helps a ton

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Mar 4 2011 6:23 AM

LOLserver:

Does this means that I can keep on scoring in TM tee under 61 (which in theory is the legend bench mark) for about 70 rounds before turning legend?, (have scored only 5 times as TM & I'm already 58 average)...that is going to take me ages!

Hi L

If the 70 mark is true, it's only a couple of weeks for you. I took a look at your score history, geez, your shooting some hot rounds in the high 20's and low 30's. This will be the reason why your Ave. is going down really quick. You should be going in the R/G's, with those scores you'll clean-up. I know the magical figure is 61 to go to Legend, not sure how many games you have to play and as one of the earlier posts said, it could be a number of different things too.

cheers

Roger

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Fri, Mar 4 2011 7:43 AM

mantis0014:

Hi L

If the 70 mark is true, it's only a couple of weeks for you.....

cheers

Roger

Hey Roger,

To score 65 more rounds will certainly not take me two weeks unless I play 24 hrs a day m8!!!!...lol

Dunno, after reading & reading posts about averages & tee's, it is still very unclear to me how & when the legend tee is gained. Perhaps WTG should officialy clarify how it is done.

As for myself, I simply ran out of patience & mainly challenges here at WTG that now, the legend tee looks like the only challenge left.

......well, to make a 26 or 25 from TM is still a challenge tho, 27 is there.

Cheers

Eric 

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Mar 4 2011 8:49 AM

LOLserver, you haven't reached the required ranked rounds to advance to the Legend tier. If you were to shoot a par ranked round or higher, I believe your average would shoot-up considerably. You've been posting some really low ranked rounds back to back. You have the required average for the Legend tier, you'll need to maintain an average below 61 until you've reached WGT's secret bench mark of ranked rounds required for tier advancement. Much like the secret ranked rounds bench-mark I mentioned previously to have our average stop climbing after advancing tiers.

WGT's two best kept secrets for good reason I suppose.

I would guess you'll need at least 500 ranked rounds maybe more to know a player will advance in all tiers with the corresponding average for advancing to a specific tier of course. WGT could always place you in the Legend tier as well if you keep shooting scores like your doing. Eric, this is a very peculiar situation you've found yourself in. Nice shootin' nonetheless.

• golferfrank63
    187 Posts
    Tue, Aug 16 2011 4:31 AM

as a tour master i have to shot 5 under par to lower my score that nuts

• partime63
    1 Posts
    Sat, Oct 29 2011 3:55 AM

i was play a pro and had a 62 average and high level clubs how is this possible anyone know. like to jion tourney but i see pro leading with like low 60s. like the site but something not right have a  good day all

• RUNWME
    1,011 Posts
    Sat, Oct 29 2011 4:52 PM

I think its close to 50 ranked rounds per tier needed to advance as long as you keep your avg below the threashold needed. ie 60.99 to get from tourmaster to legend.

• partime101
    3 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 5:27 PM

i have a 65.80 average still aa tour pro and explain ty 

RSS