Forums

Help › Forums

Tiers and Avg Scores

Sun, Nov 20 2016 12:49 AM (122 replies)
  • Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Aug 4 2013 12:39 AM

courteneyfish:
    I'm in a similar position to you but I doubt I'll get below 60 until after the saturation point. I should reach saturation mid September so I'm aiming for Tour Legend by Christmas.

And it makes no difference.  Once you saturate those couple bad scores will get hoofed out and your average will DROP, very visibly, right before you:)

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Sun, Aug 4 2013 1:20 AM

Jimbog1964:

courteneyfish:
    I'm in a similar position to you but I doubt I'll get below 60 until after the saturation point. I should reach saturation mid September so I'm aiming for Tour Legend by Christmas.

And it makes no difference.  Once you saturate those couple bad scores will get hoofed out and your average will DROP, very visibly, right before you:)

In my modest opinion I think you would have to be an exceptionally good player to achieve a 60.000 average without saturation backing you up, unless of course you discard / abort all rounds that are bad.

But if you do that then you are just extending the time taken to reach saturation.

I sacrificed about 1.1 to my average just to get the 500 done as a legend.

It allowed me to relax when playing in tournaments as a bad round had no effect.

I reckon I need another 300 good ( average reducing ) rounds to reach TL.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sun, Aug 4 2013 1:43 AM

Jimbog1964:

courteneyfish:

Not quite sure if it's the same with other Tiers, but when I reached the 500 rounds needed for saturation as TL......   evey game I played my Ave dropped by 0.01 to 0.06 reardless of score,  even games that were above my average, it dropped.

-Roger

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Aug 4 2013 1:57 AM

mantis0014:
    Not quite sure if it's the same with other Tiers, but when I reached the 500 rounds needed for saturation as TL......   evey game I played my Ave dropped by 0.01 to 0.06 reardless of score,  even games that were above my average, it dropped.

Most people have some bad early scores in Legend.  I hardly bother with "practise rounds" and I had some 72s in mine from early Legend days.  In my case knocking that crap out after saturation saw some real big drops.  In the end what counts is 500 RRs that = 60 average, regardless of whatever else shot.  For clarity upon saturation, as Legend, your average becomes an average of only your best 500 rounds and once that equals 60 then TL pops up:)

Like several I got the feeling my saturation was approaching, but had not thought to mark exactly when I got to Legend so guessing a bit.  I asked alosso, and soon as saturation happened it was unmissable as he said it would be.

• alosso
    21,043 Posts
    Sun, Aug 4 2013 8:35 AM

oneeyedjohn:

In my modest opinion I think you would have to be an exceptionally good player to achieve a 60.000 average without saturation backing you up, unless of course you discard / abort all rounds that are bad.

But if you do that then you are just extending the time taken to reach saturation.

I sacrificed about 1.1 to my average just to get the 500 done as a legend.

It allowed me to relax when playing in tournaments as a bad round had no effect.

+1 to the first part, 1i!

Higher scores' only real negative influence is to the player's ego. The positive of the count towards saturation certainly overcomes the wee negative against average, which may not even be visible due to the high number in the divisor, /500!

Eventually, such high score will not count at all, not elongate the time necessary. It will rather vanish in history. Therefore, you didn't sacrifice anything but time and balls but earn some relaxation.

Concerning the number of Legend rounds, it may not be visible when not taken care of in time, but it still can be calculated (approximately) on the spot if you dare to execute some numbercrunching on the relation of average reaction to scores played.

• IRISHPUNK
    4,019 Posts
    Sun, Aug 4 2013 9:25 AM

mantis0014:

Jimbog1964:

courteneyfish:

-Roger

Very interesting.  Thanks, I'll look for that.

• saltiresfan
    2,266 Posts
    Sun, Aug 4 2013 10:50 AM

I made a note of how many rounds I had played when I turned legend and I've now hit 500 at legend (with a sub 60 average) but haven't moved tier yet. Not sure why...

• DRogers5864
    368 Posts
    Sun, Aug 4 2013 11:43 AM

the only dumb question is the one I dont ask, what is saturation???

• alosso
    21,043 Posts
    Sun, Aug 4 2013 12:46 PM

Was it 500 ranked stroke play rounds, excluding Bo3 and Bo5 and Blitz and CTTH?

• saltiresfan
    2,266 Posts
    Sun, Aug 4 2013 1:13 PM

It will include a few Bo3 and Bo5. I'm just going off the total.

I know those don't count towards your average but I thought they still counted as ranked rounds.

RSS