Forums

Help › Forums

Tiers and Avg Scores

Sun, Nov 20 2016 12:49 AM (122 replies)
  • isolater
    426 Posts
    Thu, Mar 3 2011 6:29 AM

i've been getting a lot of questions from new members to WGT as well as my Country Club    on how   the tiers work  and  how  tiers change as well as AVG Score  i know before they did the big change  which forced me from pro to master even though my avg was no where near  what it took to become a master under the old system .    also  why does my AVG score keep coming down even though  i shoot  just about every round i play well above my avg  ? other than the odd round at ST Andrews where i can shoot  at my avg  or below   i avoid playing St Andrews  for that reason i want my true avg  to show    i can't understand  why if my avg was 65  i shoot 8 or 9 rounds in the 70's and sometimes 80's (gotta love Oakmont)    my avg score  goes down because of 1 round in a tournament at St Andrews when i shoot a 62 or 63 the only course i can shoot scores  like that. . yes i have read all the WGT Forums on tiers   but there is absolutely  no information on   how (what scores or avg  is needed)  to change Tiers  and can someone tell me why  one round at or below my avg changes  it  but shooting multiple rounds above it  has no effect

Play Well Have Fun

Thanks

Dave

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Thu, Mar 3 2011 6:57 AM

Although the exact formula is unknown, only your best scores in a tier count towards your average.  This is is reduce sandbagging.   Here is the information from the FAQ's that can be found over there >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What is my Average Score?

Your Average Score will be based on multiple best scores within ONLY your current Tier, not scores that you shot when in previous Tiers, which better reflects your current skill competing with the tee boxes and green speeds in your current Tier. Your Average Score will be based on ONLY your best scores, so completing a bad round will not negatively impact your Average Score or Tier. So be sure to finish all your rounds and gain the extra experience points, as a bad day won’t matter.

Cheers,

b0gey

• isolater
    426 Posts
    Thu, Mar 3 2011 7:28 AM

Thank you Bogey  but  doesn't that  defeat the purpose  of playing the game  if your avg can only go down  and not up   its  more like tiger  woods  now  all ya have to do is play  no skill involved    . so now  i can play  1 round at ST Andrews score  a 60  but play 20 rounds at oakmont and shoot in the mid to high 70's   and my  avg will go down    that makes no sense at all   might just as well go play  tiger woods on the playstation3   same deal as long as you play  even if you don't improve your skills  you still become a better golfer  i thought  this was supposed to  be the most realistic  golf  game  on the market  now its turned into  just another arcade game . i say bring back  the old style of scoring  atleast then people will get a real sense  if their skill level  is improving.  i understand  the not changing tier  part  based on bad rounds  but the avg score  should be based on all rounds played .   i understand trying to get rid of the sand bagging  but come on common sense  would dictate    a player is sandbagging   if they are a master tour master or legend  with an avg  higher than the tier they are for example  a legend with an avg score in the mid 70's or higher  is obviously sandbagging they became a legend because they got their avg  down to legend level  no master or higher tier  should have an avg  higher than a 72 i give it that  high    just to factor in the fact that players have just  changed to a higher tier and are not quite used to either the new  tee boxes  or  faster green speeds  but once they get  used to the new  tee boxes and green speeds their avgs  should get back down to where they  should be   for the tier level  you have  advanced to 

• isolater
    426 Posts
    Thu, Mar 3 2011 7:35 AM

my question still hasn't been answered though  What are the avg scores required to switch tiers  example   a new player just joined wgt   he is a hack AVG Score  is default 150.00  what avg does he need to move to amature   then once he is amature  what avg does he need to move to pro  then to tour pro  then to master etc ?  or  what are the required  number of rounds to advance  tier ?  i have read all the forums  on it and there is no answer to either of  my questions 

• Noobingalltheway
    222 Posts
    Thu, Mar 3 2011 10:33 AM

There are many threads regarding this, that deal with both of your questions. Below are a few examples

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/39033.aspx

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/31104.aspx

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/36591/206273.aspx#206273

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/34432/193533.aspx#193533

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/35332.aspx?PageIndex=1

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/33319/187808.aspx#187808

The last one in particular shows the answer to your question about why the average score doesn't increase

Basically: You have a set number of games where your average will go both up and down (for master tier it is 40). Once you've played 40 games in the master tier, any bad scores won't increase your average, but good scores will decrease it.

What it means? It means that the worse you play at the beginning of hitting a tier, the more consistent you will have to be once you've reached the maximum games to knock out the bad scores. Though yes, you're correct....if you keep playing long enough, you'll eventually reach legend tier (most players would anyway....but it will take years without massive improvement)

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Thu, Mar 3 2011 11:22 AM

isolater:

my question still hasn't been answered though  What are the avg scores required to switch tiers  example   a new player just joined wgt   he is a hack AVG Score  is default 150.00  what avg does he need to move to amature   then once he is amature  what avg does he need to move to pro  then to tour pro  then to master etc ?  or  what are the required  number of rounds to advance  tier ?  i have read all the forums  on it and there is no answer to either of  my questions 

It will never be known.  WGT has not a likely will never divulge this information.  People would avoid the next tier, but not playing ranked rounds.

Cheers,

b0gey

• isolater
    426 Posts
    Thu, Mar 3 2011 11:42 AM

its gotta be a hell of a lot of ranked rounds then  to move to the next tier  then  cause  i've got 777  in now    is it 1000 ?  or more    and if its based on number of ranked rounds played  why even bother with averages  it seemed alot clearer  before the change they  made   and if that is the case and based  on avg  why was i forced to the master tier when they did  the change  at that time my avg was at best  maybe a tour pro it was around 70 give or take  .07 or 8  but it was definately  not  master material  before the change the more answers i get the more confusing it is  to figure out . i guess  i'll just keep plugging along til  the golf gods decide to up my tier again to a tier that again is way above my skill level  and just as  i become  consistant at that level  get forced up a tier again   and be back at square one 

• Noobingalltheway
    222 Posts
    Thu, Mar 3 2011 1:54 PM

You misread again Isolater.

Tier is based on Average score AND total number of ranked rounds IN YOUR CURRENT TIER.

You can play a million rounds as a master without moving up, then finally move up, you still have to make a minimum amount of games again before you can move to the next tier

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Mar 3 2011 7:07 PM

It is well known that the formula is unknown to all. I doubt that a low average coupled with a large number of rounds played is the base. When one thinks of a Legend, in any endeaver, some remarkable things have taken place. Perhaps here, it is also true. As example: Have you ever placed 1st in a tournament, stroke play or CTTH? Have you ever broke 60 or 30? Are your eagles amount high? Your stats and awards, in general, high? But, who knows.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Mar 3 2011 7:47 PM

Isolator, you'll need to get your average below a 63 and you'll be a Tour Master. You have enough ranked rounds to advance to Tour Master. Its all about average now. Get your average below a 61 and you'll be a Legend. This will take some very well played ranked rounds to achieve. As you keep lowering your average in the Tour Master tier, you'll need to keep posting better and better scores to lower your average.

For Tour Master, you'll need to post 33's or lower at a 62.xx average. When you turn Legend with a average lower then 61, your average will reset and you'll need to post very low scores to keep your average low. Your average is going to climb in most instances when you become a Tour Master or a Legend, but will lower if you shoot low scores. 

Here's the WGT secret. No one knows how many ranked rounds that need to be played before ones average stops increasing with par or higher ranked rounds. I'm guessing it's around 75 ranked rounds, maybe more after a player advances tiers. Then your average will lower on sub 34 ranked round scores, and stay the same on par or higher ranked round scores, only after you've reached that secret bench-mark of ranked rounds played. Your average as a Tour Master or a Legend will of course lower if you keep shooting exceptional low scores. But that one or two bad ranked rounds will raise your average considerably until you've reached WGT's secret bench-mark of ranked rounds after advancing to a new tier.

I hope this helps.

RSS