Will You Harm WGT by using Ad Blockers?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Dec 28 2010 5:25 AM (56 replies)
  • VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Thu, Dec 23 2010 12:00 PM

YankeeJim:
    let alone take the time to do it.

I wasn't insinuating that you aren't intelligent enough to configure it YJ, just stating that you most likely hadn't configured it, which you have now confirmed. As I stated, the default settings are not the most efficient means of using this software, and you can anticipate less than desirable results testing it that way. If you want to make an honest judgment about the program, set it up properly, then test it.

I also never suggested that flash in the background was an issue. Are you under the impression that the meter is the only flash object running when you are playing this game?

I don't expect you will, and that's your choice - for me, I'll keep it, it helps wonders.

Similar to what the title of this thread indicates, you aren't here looking for input to make a choice, your mind is made up. I tested it and love it, as does Richard, apparently. Does that mean it is harming WGT as the title of this thread has claimed? Again, it might be a good discussion with members open to input, but it appears not to be the case here. The OP isn't open to different views on how this may or may not affect WGT, he is already decided that it is harmful. So what's the point.

Someone mentioned in another related thread how valuable the free offers were, and how WGT would suffer if they weren't in use. I wonder why, then, they aren't starting threads for those who are harming wgt by not using the free offers. Or even better, for not using ALL of the free offers, and being selective. 

It's the same thing. These ads are based on traffic, and there will always be a %age of users that know how to block them and a majority who do not. I am glad that I am in the minority here.

just sayin......

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Dec 23 2010 5:33 PM

VanHalenLover:
    . I wonder why, then, they aren't starting threads for those who are harming wgt by not using the free offers

Because, the alternative to getting credits from free offers is cash, winning RGs, MPCs, ets..  Ad revenue is not credit based and a separate revenue stream.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Thu, Dec 23 2010 6:41 PM

Yet it is still a revenue stream, just like the ads. Seems to me if someone were looking out for the best interest of wgt, that they might also be voicing their displeasure of those who play the game for free and choose not to make real money purchases.  

It is a choice, just like blocking ads is a choice. Both detract from wgt revenues, and neither is necessarily hurting wgt, as the poorly worded thread title might suggest.

I'm betting you would take issue if someone started a thread titled 'Will you harm wgt by not depositing real money to buy equipment?'

I understand the differences between the two andy, but you also need to be willing to admit that wgt implemented something that ALLOWS users to block these revenue producing ads, just like they ALLOW people to play for free. Somewhere in there is a business plan that allows for these and accounts for them. To turn our given options into an automatic declaration that we are harming wgt is irresponsible, at best.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Dec 23 2010 7:09 PM

You don't know, I don't know, only WGT knows how much revenue they need from advertising.  What is known is ad blocking withholds revenue from WGT. Many, many people ad blocking will harm WGT.  Promotion of ad blocking, mis-stating its benefits to get members to use it, that is irresponsible.

Its simple really, if you like the site and the game, if you want it to prosper, live with the ads and don't use ad blockers to block their revenue.

**edit**

How's this for a better title to the original post?

You will help WGT and help keep your costs down by NOT using ad blockers!

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Thu, Dec 23 2010 8:26 PM

Honestly, that would have been a much more appropriate title andy. I still think it goes deeper though, even though I am sure we will not agree.

The important financial part of those ads is how often they are clicked and followed. I do not plan on ever clicking them, so I am really not taking any revenue away by blocking them.  How many of those in-game ads have YOU clicked to boost wgt's revenue?

If someone were looking for open and honest input, a title like

"In game ads: game disruptor, or necessary evil?"

might have been more appropriate.

I understand your take on it and applaud your honest opinion, it just didn't seem like you were open to any opposing pov's. Just like not using a credit card to buy credits prevents wgt from making income, so do not clicking the ads. But again, both are options that wgt has built into the design and functionality of the site, leaving its users a choice.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Dec 24 2010 4:52 AM

VanHalenLover:
    The important financial part of those ads is how often they are clicked and followed.

Not necessarily true VHM. In fact CPM is more common than CPC.  Especially for a quality site like WGT.  Its much more likely the revenue is based on views than clicks.

The only ad I haven't clicked on is the new Nikon ad.  I did like the Energizer Bunny site, too bad you're missing it.

Merry Christmas VHL.  Don't be such a Scrooge in the season of giving.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Dec 24 2010 7:23 AM

andyson:
    The only ad I haven't clicked on is the new Nikon ad.  I did like the Energizer Bunny site, too bad you're missing it.

Did you buy any batteries at the Energizer web site? And everyone expects you to click that Nikon ad and buy a camera or lens, if you choose too.

Are you certain WGT uses CPM over CPC, or is it your educated guess? You do like wise Andy, don't be a scrooge in the season of giving. You shouldn't be so disingenuous.

I sure would like to get some feed-back from WGT on this ad issue, and not WGTsky, or icon either, a WGT representative from the marketing department. It would make a believer out of both of us either way once and for all.

Nivlac didn't have anything to say about the add-on "Adblock" back when everyone was wanting to block ads, members just wound-up having gaming issue because of it, unlike the users who use the Flashblock add-on. BTW, I didn't engage in the "Adblock" debacle back then either.

Some members either want a computer that plays the game with issues, and have the choice to view, or click an ad, or they can choose to use the Flashblock add-on for Firefox, and have a computer that plays the game with no issues, like some members have duly noted. That's the choice. Any other way to look at this ad issue borders on obsession for this game.

Merry christmahanakwanzika everyone!  : )

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Dec 24 2010 9:56 AM

Richard4168:
    Are you certain WGT uses CPM over CPC, or is it your educated guess? You do like wise Andy, don't be a scrooge in the season of giving. You shouldn't be so disingenuous.

Richard, improve your writing, don't put three different thoughts in three separate sentences all in one paragraph.

If you read the CPM reference I gave you'd know CPM is by far the most often used billing method.

I'm not a scrooge, guaranteed, thanks for thinking of me.

You must have one of those "Word of the Day" calenders.  Me being disingenuous is not accurate Rich.  I'm sincere and open about the whole ad blocking harming WGT.  I cite references that both support and oppose my view. I provide information on how ads generate revenue.   I have no idea why you feel that way.  Maybe if you provided some references that support your view it would help me understand.

Richard4168:
    Nivlac didn't have anything to say about the add-on "Adblock" back when everyone was wanting to block ads,.....I didn't engage in the "Adblock" debacle back then either.

You talking about this debacle last summer when

Adblock on firefox caused wgt loading problems  or

Adblock caused error codes  or

Adblock Plus caused load errors  or

Adblock caused load manager errors  or

Adblock was causing error #2032

That debacle?  WGTniv did say something about the Adblock add-on.

He said turn it off.

And it solved the problems.

Richard4168:
    Any other way to look at this ad issue borders on obsession for this game.

Thanks for not being mule-headed and keeping an open mind.

/sarcasm off

People need to make an informed decision and I candidly presented a view, with supporting links, that blocking ads will block ad revenue and therefore harm WGT. 

Rich, don't be a Scrooge, give WGT a present this holiday season.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Dec 24 2010 11:56 AM

Flashblock does not harm WGT. Judging by your answer on CPM and CPC, you don't know either way which one WGT is using, therefore it's disingenuous for you to make an analogy on it. I'm three years in on a Bachelors degree in business administration Andy, no "word of the day" calender sir. If you knew anything about grammar, you would see that my sentences are structured with proper punctuation. Don't be so disparaging to others when they don't agree with you, or your thoughts.

I knew Nivlac said to turn off the adblock add-on to stop gaming issues, he never said to turn it off as to not harm WGT. You spout-off about all this research you do, try researching Flashblock and you'll see how there is no harm being done to WGT. Stop thinking your opinions are the only ones that are right (which you do), and give notice to other members opinions. You have made your mind-up over this issue despite what the facts say. You only want to believe that people who use Flashblock are out to get WGT, this simply isn't true. You simply do not know if WGT is being harmed or not. It's my opinion that WGT is not being harmed or they would surely say something to address the issue.

Why do you keep thinking WGT is going out of business if people use Flashblock? It makes me think this game is all you have during your retirement years. I hope that's not the case. I like this game too, but if it went away tomorrow, I surely wouldn't lose a minute of sleep because it did.

andyson:
    Rich, don't be a Scrooge, give WGT a present this holiday season

I've given WGT a $75 gift in 2010; including multiple gifts to fellow members. 

P.S. See, no sarcasm. Try it.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Fri, Dec 24 2010 12:07 PM

CPA is the most likely ad-model being used, similar to the methodology being used for the free credit offers. Of course, no one of us knows for sure.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, neither of us is going to change the others mind. It's a business, and the ads are part of that. There is a reason Firefox is gaining market share as a FREE browser, it gives the end user the tools to tailor there browsing experience. Imaging that, a free product that is making a company millions......If the ads don't make it for wgt, they will adapt and find other ways to become profitable, or they will fold. The ads are not their life blood, just one of many many options......

Have a wonderful holiday season everyone.

RSS